Aric Cee Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:36am
Valve to knock out Microsoft? Most likely!
With Valve's first announcement set for today at 12PM CST, many are speculating that one of them can be the long-awaited reveal of Half-Life 3. Others are pointing to Valve showing off their own Steambox hardware with a possible sale date this holiday season. But what I don't see that's being mentioned is one possible announcement that can potentially knock Microsoft down financially in the long run.

Steam's "Big Picture" mode was integrated into the software in December 2012. Big Picture mode is a 10-foot user interface, optimizing the display of Steam to work on high-definition televisions, allowing the user to control Steam via a gamepad or through keyboard and mouse. Newell has stated that Big Picture mode is a step towards a dedicated Steam entertainment hardware unit.

Also, Gabe Newell explained that Valve's strategy is to develop a single hardware unit themselves as the default model, internally named "Bigfoot", but work with other computer manufacturers who want to offer the same user experience but with different hardware configurations not offered by Valve's model. At the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show, Xi3 Corporation introduced a prototype modular PC, codenamed "Piston". This unit was one of several possible designs that Valve was looking as the default hardware model for the Steam Box, and is specifically designed to run Steam on Linux and support Big Picture mode. However Valve had clarified that though they did some initial exploratory work with Xi3, they have had no direct involvement with the Piston's specifications, and it is not necessarily representative of their final design for their Steam Box.

Not only that, in a July 2012 article from bit-tech, Newell indicated that adding Steam to Linux is "a nod to the users who have struggled for years running Valve games" under Linux itself:

"Valve wouldn’t exist if it weren't for the PC. If people look at what they can accomplish when they can limit competitors' access to their platform, they say, 'Wow, that’s really exciting.' Even some of the people who have open platforms, like Microsoft, get really excited by the idea that Netflix has to pay them rent in order to be on the Internet. That’s not how we got here, and I don’t think that’s a very attractive future. So we're looking at the platform, and up until now we've been a free rider. We've been able to benefit from everything that's gone into the PC and the internet. Now we have to start finding ways that we can continue to make sure there are open platforms. So, that involves a couple of different things. One, we’re trying to make sure that Linux thrives. So we're going to continue working with the Linux distribution guys, shipping Steam, shipping our games, and making it as easy as possible for anybody who's engaged with us — putting their games on Steam and getting those running on Linux, as well. It’s a hedging strategy."

In that same article, he also gave his response to Microsoft's touch-centric Windows 8 operating system and its Metro UI:

"I think that Windows 8 is kind of a catastrophe for everybody in the PC space. I think that we're going to lose some of the top-tier PC [original equipment manufacturers]. They'll exit the market. I think margins are going to be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that's true, it’s going to be a good idea to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality."

With Gabe's recent smack talk about Microsoft and his love for the Linux platform (some are speculating that Valve is working non-stop on vastly improving Wine to make it more compatible with Windows games), can we see a possible announcement today for a Linux-based Steam operating system? For me personally, I would gladly hope so!
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Rita Vrataski Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:47am 
Regardless of what Gabe Newell says about Windows; Microsoft still holds like 90%+ of the gaming market with the ownership of DirectX. OpenGL doesn't have a chance of making a return to compete with them on this, I know some oddball games come out running OpenGL but it's not enough to sustain any form of competition and most if not all major developers are not going to switch to an inferior development platform just to slight Microsoft.

If a "SteamBox" does make its way into the market it's going to have a near impossible success rate due to the above handicap. This is one of the few times where I see Gabe Newell making a large company impacting mistake, Linux doesn't stand a chance in this space regardless of how the people so wrapped up in it feel.
Last edited by Rita Vrataski; Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:49am
Timotei Sep 23, 2013 @ 8:38am 
Originally posted by Nya`:
Regardless of what Gabe Newell says about Windows; Microsoft still holds like 90%+ of the gaming market with the ownership of DirectX. OpenGL doesn't have a chance of making a return to compete with them on this, I know some oddball games come out running OpenGL but it's not enough to sustain any form of competition and most if not all major developers are not going to switch to an inferior development platform just to slight Microsoft.
PS4 runs on OpenGL. And it will probably sell well. Just sayin.
Rita Vrataski Sep 23, 2013 @ 9:01am 
Originally posted by Bückstabü:
The PlayStation brand is something grounded for 20 years with a player base exceeding several hundred million, it's not a PC based digital distribution platform peddling PC software where not even a 1/10th of what is available is OpenGL.

More likely than not, the only games which will actually be developed in OpenGL on the PS4 will be exclusive games. Everything else including games which will make their way to the PC will be predominantly developed for DirectX with reworking done for OpenGL support after the fact for the PS4, essentially exactly the same as it is now for the PC, 360 and PS3.
Last edited by Rita Vrataski; Sep 23, 2013 @ 9:01am
Tim (ง'̀-'́)ง Sep 23, 2013 @ 9:09am 
Everyone saying that they announce HL3, Source 2 or L4D3 or w/e is simply delusional. The whole page already tells you that we wont see any franchise/game announcements but Steam announcements. "Steam Universe", not Valve Universe.
MonkeySeeker Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:08am 
Re: SteamOS - It's not gonna knock out Windows as the go to OS for most users. Hell, I doubt it'll even knock out the Mac OS.
Last edited by MonkeySeeker; Sep 23, 2013 @ 11:09am
DeadWire Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:33pm 

If a "SteamBox" does make its way into the market it's going to have a near impossible success rate due to the above handicap. This is one of the few times where I see Gabe Newell making a large company impacting mistake, Linux doesn't stand a chance in this space regardless of how the people so wrapped up in it feel.

Ahm..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC3JGG6xHN8

You were saying? OGL 4.3 can do everything DX11.1 can and its portable. So, why should devs bother with DX anymore?
Last edited by DeadWire; Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:39pm
DeadWire Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:41pm 
Originally posted by MonkeySeeker:
Re: SteamOS - It's not gonna knock out Windows as the go to OS for most users. Hell, I doubt it'll even knock out the Mac OS.

That might have been true when MS still gave a damn about the desktop.......
Furnace Sep 23, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
Since steamOS seems focused on getting console players to buy games from steam (steam is already a large digital seller on pc) will players or developers/publishers want to buy and support steamOS?

Apparently publishers/developers make a larger profit margin on console sales than sales on pc. Publishers/developers may not want to support steamOS.
blkmnky Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:13pm 
Don't forget people that Valve is making money on Steam, don't you think Microsoft would try anything it could to takeover or destroy it? I love my Windows Platform, been there since 3.1 and had every consumer version since but Microsoft has shown now that they do NOT care about PC Gamers. Had a look a Windows 8's Store, it's all touch nonsense. Did they ever attempt to Configure Halo 1 & 2 for PC interface, no. Did they bother to sell you their #1 Game Series through their Games for Windows Live, no. Everything gaming to them has to go through Xbox, it's their guarantee that the money goes straight to them. It's like drugdealing.

Microsoft's move to tablet based pc architecture has had an effect on PC hardware manufacturers. How many of your parents have Dell or other already-assembled PC's? What do you think their experience with those low cost, cheaply made, upgrade limiting machines is like? When you tell your parents how easy it is to put together a great PC for a great price from parts you've researched and chosen, their eyes will most likely glaze over. Put a tablet in their face and their wishes are granted, no nonsense access to what they want in a cool package, without the hurdles of driver configuration and blue screens, what have you. Ease of Access people...

What we want here is an OS that does what we want. We are Gamers. No more porting bull. Did you ever wonder why games are developed on PC, then cut down to work on severely limited consoles, then just maybe, you get a port of that on PC, with the same limited nonsense. You've been gimped PC Gamers. Aren't you tired of this? Did you know that when a game is built for PC exclusively or before it is hampered you have a much better experience on PC?

GTA V sold more than $1 billion in it's first week, and that was for consoles. Do you think that that would have happened on PC, no way. Can you imagine the forum posts if it had been pc exclusive, "EH YOUR GAME IS SHT! IT DON"T WORK! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!", all because PC's vary in parts and software to such an extent that it is completely at the mercy of the User himself.

This is a godsend people, take it and run with it, or else PC Gaming WILL die...
ゆき Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:39pm 
No, PS4 runs it's own custom API based on OpenGL. Don't spread mis-information.
DeadWire Sep 23, 2013 @ 1:54pm 
Originally posted by ゆき:
No, PS4 runs it's own custom API based on OpenGL. Don't spread mis-information.

The PS4 uses more than one API and OGL 4 is one of them......
Ultrapwnd Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:00pm 
The mac library of games, before Steam intoruced it was a lot smaller or at least harder to find. Nowadays it is much, much larger. I expect the same thing with Linux based games.
Last edited by Ultrapwnd; Sep 23, 2013 @ 2:00pm
2point4 Sep 23, 2013 @ 3:10pm 
Originally posted by DeadWire:

You were saying? OGL 4.3 can do everything DX11.1 can and its portable. So, why should devs bother with DX anymore?
Hear, hear! This is so true.

But why isn't anyone using OGL then? Oh, right:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/60544/why-do-game-developers-prefer-windows

And that's the tale of OpenGL vs. Direct3D. A tale of missed opportunities, gross stupidity, willful blindness, and simple foolishness.
And it seems these flaws have spread over into Valve.

OpenGL may surpass DirectX usage someday. Valve may go broke trying to push it in the meantime, though. Gabe should get over his fear of Microsoft and realize that without them he'd be nowhere.
DeadWire Sep 23, 2013 @ 3:46pm 
Originally posted by 2point4:
Originally posted by DeadWire:

Hear, hear! This is so true.

But why isn't anyone using OGL then? Oh, right:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/60544/why-do-game-developers-prefer-windows

And that's the tale of OpenGL vs. Direct3D. A tale of missed opportunities, gross stupidity, willful blindness, and simple foolishness.
And it seems these flaws have spread over into Valve.

OpenGL may surpass DirectX usage someday. Valve may go broke trying to push it in the meantime, though. Gabe should get over his fear of Microsoft and realize that without them he'd be nowhere.

This is a rather old link you gave me, much has changed since the summer of 2011 and OGL 4.3 is now on par if not better D3D in terms of features......As for marketshare OGL and OGL ES, already have surpassed DX in usage on computing devices.

In short, if you are going to support plaforms other than Windows/Xbox why bother with DX when you have OGL+SDL2 which work on Windows also? The Strike Suit Zero devs for example regret using DX for the Windows version, when they had to make an OGL version anyway.
Last edited by DeadWire; Sep 23, 2013 @ 3:48pm
2point4 Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:06pm 
You should read the entire thread. It's full of comments from actual game developers that cite the existing problems with Linux. Those comments run into last summer. And honestly, Valve has made some changes to how gaming and Linux will work, but in a year's time not much has changed. Linux is still a huge mess. Valve even admits as much on the /livingroom/SteamOS page.
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 23, 2013 @ 5:36am