mrmike_49 Sep 6, 2013 @ 6:35pm
Game forums : new way to find game forums pretty much sucks
Finding forums the news way pretty much sucks:
1) Steam, 2) Discussions, 3) Game Forums, 4) search by name for your game forum

why not just post link to existing forum http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53 pages on the store pages?? so much easier, faster, lets you see what forums are available, something that is impossible with this new way
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Sep 6, 2013 @ 6:51pm 
Huh? There's already a forum link on the store page, goes to the game's Discussions page.
Silv3r9 Sep 6, 2013 @ 8:38pm 
[I'm evil, I laughed] >_>

The link to the forum is on the game's page and can also be accessed by clicking the happy blue button on the top right corner that says: Community Hub
Last edited by Silv3r9; Sep 6, 2013 @ 8:38pm
mrmike_49 Sep 7, 2013 @ 12:04am 
you people must be new to Steam - I am talking about the OLD game forums page http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ which is slowly becoming obsolete because Steam does NOT put new games in to it. Steam should keep that page, and keep it updated. It is much easier to use to find a forum for any particular game, and also allows you to see a listing of all games with forums on Steam (well it did, now it doesn't include newer games).

Yes, I know you can find a link to the forum if you go to a games page in the Store, but let's compare steps: New way : 1) open bookmark to Steam main page 2) select Community forums from drop down menu, 3) select game forums tab, 4) type in game name to search for your game. Alternate new method: 1) open bookmark to Steam main page 2) type game name in search bar 3) go to game page, 4) link to forum

Old Way : 1) open bookmark to Game Forums page, 2) page down to find your game forum

Plus having a listing of all game forums active, the old way is better, the new way sucks
Alienowl Sep 7, 2013 @ 12:17am 
mrmike_49, I agree. The list from the old game forums page was much better. I can even find titles that I may have never seen before or been interested in before. With the new system, there is no way to browse titles that you don't know. (well, you can only see like 5 titles at a time, but that is pretty useless).

Gus the Crocodile Sep 7, 2013 @ 1:07am 
Originally posted by mrmike_49:
you people must be new to Steam
Uh no, Mr Assumptions. You specifically talked about "links to existing forums", and the only "existing forums" for new games are in the Community section, so I thought that's what you meant. Sorry for my part of the misunderstanding though.
Pete Sep 7, 2013 @ 4:02am 
If it ain't bust, don't fix it eh?
New is not always better....
Spawn of Totoro Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:12am 
Originally posted by mrmike_49:
you people must be new to Steam - I am talking about the OLD game forums page http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/ which is slowly becoming obsolete because Steam does NOT put new games in to it. Steam should keep that page, and keep it updated. It is much easier to use to find a forum for any particular game, and also allows you to see a listing of all games with forums on Steam (well it did, now it doesn't include newer games).

Valve is going to shut down those forums when they create a diffrent wat fo trading to replace the old trade forums. There is no reaso for them to add anything since they want to get rid of it.

Originally posted by mrmike_49:
Yes, I know you can find a link to the forum if you go to a games page in the Store, but let's compare steps: New way : 1) open bookmark to Steam main page 2) select Community forums from drop down menu, 3) select game forums tab, 4) type in game name to search for your game. Alternate new method: 1) open bookmark to Steam main page 2) type game name in search bar 3) go to game page, 4) link to forum

Old Way : 1) open bookmark to Game Forums page, 2) page down to find your game forum

Plus having a listing of all game forums active, the old way is better, the new way sucks

You got that very wrong.

Open Steam. Click on game in library or in store. Click on Game Forum in store page.

Old way, Open Steam. Click on game in library or in store. Click on Game forum. Enter Log-in information to post.

More or less the same. You must be new to think you have to go through all that to get to a game's forum.
-----
Originally posted by arniesan:
If it ain't bust, don't fix it eh?
New is not always better....

The old forums were breaking. Especialy the Trade forum as it didn't scale well with all the trades that started happenign on them.

They didn't allow for sub forums in the game's fourm as well.

It also relies on another company for updates. The new game forums are more under Valve's control. They can change what they want as they want.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Sep 7, 2013 @ 9:15am
mrmike_49 Sep 7, 2013 @ 11:59am 
1)
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
Valve is going to shut down those forums when they create a diffrent wat fo trading to replace the old trade forums. There is no reaso for them to add anything since they want to get rid of it.

Yes, I know, but I like the old way, it's better. That's the entire point of my original post

2)
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
You got that very wrong.
No, listed both ways to get to new individual game forum

3)
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
The old forums were breaking. Especialy the Trade forum as it didn't scale well with all the trades that started happenign on them.

They didn't allow for sub forums in the game's fourm as well.

It also relies on another company for updates. The new game forums are more under Valve's control. They can change what they want as they want. .

I agree that these show a need for an "updated" forum, but why not duplicate the old format with needed improvements. Like Alienowl, I like to browse the list of game forums to find interesting games. And, it is still faster to find your game forum on the old page(if it is there)
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 6, 2013 @ 6:35pm
Posts: 8