SuLpHiDe Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:14am
What happened to Valve?
The introduction of this trading card thing and XP system is just ridiculous. I get it, trading cards and badges are supposed to show off how good you are at games etc etc. But selling and buying for real money? Seriously? It seems to me Valve just want to exploit people and make a quick buck. This just reminds me of that wedding ring thing last year in Team Fortress 2. I just want to get peoples opinion on this. Maybe I'm in the minority here. (I'm not anti-valve or anything, I love Valve, I'm just wondering if maybe they are losing their way a little bit).

Refer to drbsls post. Thats basically what I'm trying to say.
Last edited by SuLpHiDe; Jul 30, 2013 @ 8:12am
Showing 1-15 of 246 comments
< >
Mr.Wyncoll Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:16am 
Comin' over 'ere, stealin' our jobs
telamiina Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:17am 
Wait! THey will close this thread in 10min.
d7602002 Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:23am 
I see nothing wrong with it. If people want to collect or pay for cards etc, let them. I have cards but I would never pay for any of that stuff cuase it does not mean anything to me. Just like TF2 collectibles and all that. IMO i could not care less about stuff like that, but if someone else does then good for them.

It is just something different and to get people to buy and trade, etc.
Archduke Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:27am 
Originally posted by SuLpHiDe:
It seems to me Valve just want to exploit people and make a quick buck.
It's a popular format, there seems to be a lot of activity around getting the cards and selling them, so why not?

I don't go for it myself, personally, I find the whole profile XP thing irritating, but there are plenty of folks who are game for it (pun fully intended). As such, being popular and a potential means to make cash from virtually nothing, in the current industry economy, these kind of micro monetisations for meta content are proving extremely competitive and it puts Gabe Neewell's porky fingers in yet another juicy pie. Good business sense.

Exploiting people for a quick buck? Well, of course the purpose is to up Valve's wealth at the end of the day, that's pretty much taken as read - as to exploiting, it really depends on your perspective. At least, the only pressure really comes from the community and one's own desire to compete in the card/XP whoring, and parting with one's cash is completely voluntary.

I don't see it as being tremendously different from various point reward schemes offered by certain other portals to be honest.
SuLpHiDe Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:38am 
Everything is a matter of perspective so I guess what I'm really trying to do is point out both sides and maybe make the community realise that the trading cards are worthless and they shouldn't be wasting their money.
Skilled Horse Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:43am 
I sell my unwanted cards and use the money to buy cards I want. Never actually paid really world money for cards though. If people want to pay for cards with their own cash surely it's up to them?
Archduke Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:45am 
Everything is a matter of perspective so I guess what I'm really trying to do is point out both sides and maybe make the community realise that the trading cards are worthless and they shouldn't be wasting their money.
Why even bother to point out both sides if you're clearly biased?
SuLpHiDe Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by Archduke:
Why even bother to point out both sides if you're clearly biased?

This discussion is pointing out both sides and two perspectives. Thats why I started the discussion because I wanted to see what people think.
ReBoot Jul 29, 2013 @ 8:48am 
It's not like you do have to buy/sell that stuff for real money. Be happy that you can do that if you need some extra bucks, though.
Coookie Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:45am 
Once the Steam hype wears off this could hit them hard in the face.
Gameassassin1020 Jul 29, 2013 @ 10:51am 
You're just mad because you haven't made 5 bucks off of them. Playing games to get cards and get free money? Yes.
Crashedcourse Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:06am 
Originally posted by Coookie:
Once the Steam hype wears off....
Is that even possible? :)
Turn The Tide ♥♥♥ Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:08am 
sad....
EasternShiva Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:13am 
Just sad
Tempesta Jul 29, 2013 @ 11:14am 
opa
Showing 1-15 of 246 comments
< >