Edgar Allan Bro Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:06pm
Steam On The Nvidia Shield
What are your expectations for Steam on the Nvidia Shield.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
L-r | Canti Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:32pm 
It should work nicely with Big Picture Mode, but I can't see it as being something I'd want to shell out cash for. It's not like you can take it away from home and continue to play.
Spawn of Totoro Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:36pm 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Shield

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121801-nvidia-shield-final-production-build-shown-at-e3-we-go-hands-on

A game streaming handheld that can only be use localy won't go to far. At $350 it is a bit pricy too. I cold buy a PS4 for a little more or upgrade my computers video card and such with that.

No worth it at this point.

As the game seems to need to be compatable with the device, the list would then be very limited.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:37pm
CloakingPhoenix Jun 17, 2013 @ 8:45pm 
You guys are missing the point. This isnt suppose to compete with consoles. Personally i think the shield will suceed once devs work with it and most of steam can be accessed. Personally, I dont always like to sit at my pc and play games. Sometimes i want to be able to sit in my yard or in my living room and play. Also, Android games are only getting betterm Look at dead trigger 2 and modern combat 5, Even Blitz brigade. Once Tegra 4 is out, the chip is powerful enough to produce great games. Then you have a 5" tablet that you can do everything a android phone/tablet can do.

This isnt suppose to replace sitting at your pc or your consoles, This is a much needed catagory for people who want something portable and not something like that awful psp vita or even the 3ds with cartoon graphics. this is a portable handheld for core gamers.
L-r | Canti Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:50pm 
Originally posted by CloakingPhoenix:
You guys are missing the point.
My point was that it's not useful for ME because I have a PC in every room. I also already own a Nexus 4 which handles any Android game just fine, so I see no reason to buy a Shield.
Totoro's point was that it's main appeal is streaming PC games, but this can only be done if you're at home due to latency issues.

Also, Android games are only getting betterm Look at dead trigger 2 and modern combat 5, Even Blitz brigade. Once Tegra 4 is out, the chip is powerful enough to produce great games.
It is not a necessity that a powerful chip is required to produce great games, only great "looking" games. I've not looked into Dead Trigger 2, but the other two games you mention come from Gameloft so you can bet your butt that they will be ripoffs of something else.

Edit: Yup, Blitz Brigade is a blatant TF2 ripoff and Modern Combat goes without saying.

Then you have a 5" tablet that you can do everything a android phone/tablet can do.
Um, yes, you would certainly hope upon buying a tablet that it does what a tablet can do...

like that awful psp vita or even the 3ds with cartoon graphics. this is a portable handheld for core gamers.
It is at this point of your post where you have lost all credibility. Congratulations.
Last edited by L-r | Canti; Jun 17, 2013 @ 10:53pm
CloakingPhoenix Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:35am 
Ok, So maybe i went too far there. I owned a Vita and was very VERY frustrated with the lack of games and commitment for it. I have a 3DS and i barelt touch it, because im looking for something more, Something like what Shield is offering.
Spawn of Totoro Jun 20, 2013 @ 11:46am 
I just stopped buying portable systems long ago. My last two were a DS and a PSP. i found I only used the PSP for music and harly ever touched the DS sue to lack of any games that intrest me.

I have an iPod touch for music and that is all I need. When I go out I am too busy paying attention to what is around me to use a hand held system let alone the weight of it. If I think I'll have a waiting period, I'll grab my first editon nook to read (love the e-ink).

Hand helds have just lost their appeal. Both the Vita a 3DS show that. The cost ($350) is a main factor, lack of quality games is another.

I just don't see it taking off. People have grown immune to the hype, especialy with so many reviews and "expert" options available on the internet.
ThroneX Jun 30, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
nice
Skunk Jun 30, 2013 @ 1:54pm 
Looks like a competitor for PS Vita. It's interesting how steam is expanding more and more, Nvidia will have to win by collaborating with valve since many steam users will be tempted to buy steam-related devices more than anything else because of their profile, already bought games and friend list...
Harkos Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:01pm 
It is a cool idea but i have no idea why you want to game on the shield then on youre actual pc.
Skunk Jun 30, 2013 @ 3:10pm 
Originally posted by Harkos:
It is a cool idea but i have no idea why you want to game on the shield then on youre actual pc.
to play when you sit on toilet maybe, can't find other reason.
KARR Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:19am 
To be able to sit in bed and play borderlands or some other pc game that i can't play on my laptop is a nice idea.

The idea that i would want to play any of them with a teeny tiny screen or with a xbox-style joypad is something i wouldn't ever think of unless it was a driving game of some sort.
L-r | Canti Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:36am 
Originally posted by KARR:
To be able to sit in bed and play borderlands or some other pc game that i can't play on my laptop is a nice idea.
I'm almost certain there are already software solutions for you to be able to stream games from one PC to your laptop.
Last edited by L-r | Canti; Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:36am
[π]PieOverLoad Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:50pm 
I own a PS Vita and honestly... its a great system. The only reason I dont use it that much is because it has youtube, a slow browser, a camera, and every thing else you would want on a portable entertainment system except for any... oh yeah, GAMES!!!
Last edited by [π]PieOverLoad; Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:50pm
[π]PieOverLoad Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
The Vita has a couple games, but not alot. The Shield would solve that problem. However, the Vita is already really big for something your supposed to be able to fit in your pocket and this looks even bigger.
Last edited by [π]PieOverLoad; Jul 23, 2013 @ 7:56pm
L'autre. Jul 24, 2013 @ 5:10am 
yes you can certainly run steammobile on it
Last edited by L'autre.; Jul 24, 2013 @ 5:10am
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 17, 2013 @ 3:06pm