L-r | Canti Jun 16, 2013 @ 2:25pm
Early access daily deals
Not sure if it's just me, but I have a rotten feeling when I think about this.

Early access games, getting daily deal discounts before they're even finished and released proper? I don't think there is enough of a line between early access and regular games.

Games that are released as finished usually keep getting updates, Civilization 5 is very different from the first release and not talking about DLC either. Would that have been an early access game if it had been released now?

I dunno, but I think if I'd have preordered an early access game and then a short while later it had a daily deal on it before it had even gone final, I'd be a pretty annoyed customer.
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Tito Shivan Jun 16, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
I have the gut feeling that Valve needs to set tightly the rules on Greenlight (Paranautical Activity) and Early access (KSP/Planetary Anihilation) to avoid things getting out of hand.

That being said, i wasn't surprised when i saw KSP on sale, it's a game sold on the store afterall. And it's not ulinkely to see preorders on sale.

At the end of the day, it's nothing more than the old 'I bought a game for X, then it went on sale for less'.

Since the updating of games was made easy and quick, no game is released 'fully finished'.
Pay2Win Jun 16, 2013 @ 2:55pm 
I made a thread earlier about Early Access games overstepping their pricing limits. A lot of Steam users defended the pricing of the Early Access games, and as a result they are now bumping it up from $29.99 to $89.99. Keep cheering them on, guys.
Tito Shivan Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:11pm 
Originally posted by Genericuser798:
I made a thread earlier about Early Access games overstepping their pricing limits. A lot of Steam users defended the pricing of the Early Access games, and as a result they are now bumping it up from $29.99 to $89.99. Keep cheering them on, guys.
A single game rarely proves a trend. Let's not throw the baby with the bathwater.

And they are only keeping the same pricing tiers they set up on their Kickstarter phase, since the Early access copy gives the same benefits as the higest Kickstarter tier.
Otherwise, you get a mess like the one Botanicula set up when they released on Steam, and at the same time release on a pay-what-you-want Humble Bundle, where people who preordered where slapped in the face seeing how the game could be get for cheaper on release date.
L-r | Canti Jun 16, 2013 @ 3:57pm 
Originally posted by Silo:
Originally posted by Canti:
I dunno, but I think if I'd have preordered an early access game and then a short while later it had a daily deal on it before it had even gone final, I'd be a pretty annoyed customer.
Shouldn't that be the same for any game, early access or not?
Early access is pretty much just preorder-ing with a little bonus.
Well that's kinda my point, if you had pre-ordered a game and it went into a daily deal before even being released, you'd feel a little cheated.
Jalek Jun 18, 2013 @ 6:35am 
Early access hasn't meant pre-alpha games normally. Planetary Annihilation has been a "Featured Item" for days at it's kickstarter price, which is fine for what it is, but if the "featured" games will be anything in development no matter how early, Steam won't be a game retailer as it was.

Edit: Upon review, 8 of the 10 featured items are betas, alphas, preorders, and early access.
Nevermind then, Steam is already not what it was. Off to Amazon.
Last edited by Jalek; Jun 18, 2013 @ 6:41am
jejo68 Jun 18, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
its really annoying that steam blurs the line between early releases and retail games. twice I have had my son wanting a game because of an offer only to see it was in alpha or beta mode still.
Steam really needs to pull themselves together and totally separate games that are retail and pre release state
2point4 Jun 18, 2013 @ 2:27pm 
Originally posted by jejo68:
its really annoying that steam blurs the line between early releases and retail games. twice I have had my son wanting a game because of an offer only to see it was in alpha or beta mode still.
Steam really needs to pull themselves together and totally separate games that are retail and pre release state

I agree there should be a little more separation. Maybe a section entirely devoted to early access games not unlike how Greenlight is set up.
Mr. Fibble Jun 18, 2013 @ 5:50pm 
Steam needs to reign in their enthusiasm for promoting early access games in the same way as launch titles.

PlanAn was a great example of why those titles shouldnt be plastered across the front page of the store instead of a section dedicated to early access alpha's and beta's. OK have them on the front page when launch is imminent but not when it's a very early alpha.

Greenlight is something I just don't get other than some kind of PR thing thats not that great at handling the games that actually go in and through. I'm amazed at the comparison of bad titles that get through and the good ones that dont.

If those games weren't on the front page then the ♥♥♥♥♥s that think making games is easy would be prevented from ranting in umpteen threads or descending on the church of metacritic to bash it further.

Mind you the same people will happily rant about an already cheap indie title being too expensive and not care that the dev may never see a profit.
KickinChicken Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:06am 
Originally posted by jejo68:
[T]wice I have had my son wanting a game because of an offer only to see it was in alpha or beta mode still.

Teach your son how to tell the difference?
Jalek Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:39pm 
Originally posted by KickinChicken:
Teach your son how to tell the difference?

Marketing genius, force your customers to adapt to your odd agenda pushes rather than traditional methods. Is Steam a kickstarter wannabe?
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jun 16, 2013 @ 2:25pm