BlackRayPlayer 2. Juni 2013 um 13:51 Uhr
Valve Corporation Controls Your Offline Play Time
I'm a person who cannot connect 24/7. I play games offline and I'm noticing that Steam has put some kind of program that allows the Steam Application to automatically stop running your games within exactly 2 Weeks. This is a hassle on me because I know pirates can play their illegal copies 24/7, but I have the legal versions which are apparently timed. Is there any reason why offline mode should be limited? If this is piracy prevention, it's not, it creates more pirates (those that don't want limitations through dumb ♥♥♥ applications that are design with corporate control in mind; against consumer respects).

Also, additional problem that I have that occurs, not all my games allow me to play in offline mode. They are compatible, let me just sum it up with "Cannot Find Key Server", what the ♥♥♥♥ is that? "I'M IN OFFLINE MODE FOR A REASON (quoting quote)"
Zuletzt bearbeitet von BlackRayPlayer; 2. Juni 2013 um 14:01 Uhr
Beiträge 1-15 von 97
< >
Lana Del Hanks 2. Juni 2013 um 13:56 Uhr 
It doesn't affect me but this is a problem for people that don't have a constant internet connection.
Zeruzz 2. Juni 2013 um 13:58 Uhr 
Wow thats just sucks man, and I stop pirating in favor of a better way to have my games, now if I lost my conection indefinitely I wouldnt be able to play the games I payed for.
BlackRayPlayer 2. Juni 2013 um 14:00 Uhr 
I just tried validating a game three times in hopes of getting it to run in offline mode, but the game still "FAILS TO CONTACT KEY SERVER".
Dreakon 2. Juni 2013 um 14:01 Uhr 
I guess it would be ignorant of me to disagree since I don't use Offline Mode, but this is the first I've heard of any limitations. Considering how people hate DRM that requires an active internet connection, I feel like this would come up more.

Ursprünglich geschrieben von BlackRayPlayer:
I just tried validating a game three times in hopes of getting it to run in offline mode, but the game still "FAILS TO CONTACT KEY SERVER".
Are you trying to activate a Steam key?
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Dreakon; 2. Juni 2013 um 14:01 Uhr
L-r | Canti 2. Juni 2013 um 14:01 Uhr 
Which game is that, specifically? Usually it's up to the publishers to decide whether a game will work without a connection or not. So even if you had bought the game without Steam it would likely give the same error message.

Ursprünglich geschrieben von Dreakon:
Considering how people hate DRM that requires an active internet connection, I feel like this would come up more.
It doesn't come up so much because people hate "always-on", while Steam is "on once in a while".
Zuletzt bearbeitet von L-r | Canti; 2. Juni 2013 um 14:03 Uhr
BlackRayPlayer 2. Juni 2013 um 14:03 Uhr 
-Doom 3
-Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
-Return To Castle Wolfenstein
-Unreal Tournament 2004
-Geometry Wars (on and off problem)
Dreakon 2. Juni 2013 um 14:06 Uhr 
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Canti:
It doesn't come up so much because people hate "always-on", while Steam is "on once in a while".
Is it verified that Steam actually requires this? Or are you just saying that based on this topic?

The Xbox One has taken a lot of heat for it's "not always-on but internet is still needed" structure.
L-r | Canti 2. Juni 2013 um 14:14 Uhr 
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Canti:
Is it verified that Steam actually requires this? Or are you just saying that based on this topic?

The Xbox One has taken a lot of heat for it's "not always-on but internet is still needed" structure.
It is correct. The biggest complaints are from serving soldiers who get posted abroad and don't have an Internet connection. They find themselves unable to play after a "short amount of time" because Steam refuses to work unless it goes back online again.
Dreakon 2. Juni 2013 um 14:18 Uhr 
Wow, that's not very good. I wonder if there's any official documentation eluding to this.

And I wonder why people aren't more up in arms about it. Especially all the ♥♥♥♥ that the Xbox One has gotten for having a similar system in place.
L-r | Canti 2. Juni 2013 um 14:20 Uhr 
As far as I am aware, there is no support page that officially acknowledges the limit.

Again, people aren't up in arms about it because it's not "always-online".
Silicon Vampire 2. Juni 2013 um 14:38 Uhr 
Steam has always required an Internet connection. Offline mode is a convenience for when your Internet goes down. It was never meant to be a permanent mode.

As others have said, it is the publisher of each game that determines whether it works in offline mode or not.
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Silicon Vampire; 2. Juni 2013 um 14:39 Uhr
Dreakon 2. Juni 2013 um 15:30 Uhr 
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Silicon Vampire:
Steam has always required an Internet connection. Offline mode is a convenience for when your Internet goes down. It was never meant to be a permanent mode.
Just out of curiosity, is there any functional reason for this? As long as the game was activated/downloaded/installed, and the account was signed into at least once since then on that computer, is there really a reason Steam would need to phone home?
L-r | Canti 2. Juni 2013 um 15:33 Uhr 
Just out of curiosity, is there any functional reason for this? As long as the game was activated/downloaded/installed, and the account was signed into at least once since then on that computer, is there really a reason Steam would need to phone home?
Piracy prevention, mainly. To stop people installing Steam onto all their friends PC's and setting it to offline mode.
For the vast majority of legitimate users, having an Internet connection once every 2 weeks is not a major hurdle (at least, not compared to other forms of DRM).
SeEK.eR 2. Juni 2013 um 15:46 Uhr 
never knew
didgy 2. Juni 2013 um 16:38 Uhr 
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Silicon Vampire:

Except of course that lovely "you must login to restart in offline mode" that means you have to know you are going to loose connection before you do, in order to set it up.

Offline mode has always had an "expiry" - I was of the understanding it was 30 days... but it may be less.

As Canti said, it's probably still the least aggressive DRM out there (not like Ubisofts always-on-if-you-loose-net-you-dont-even-get-to-save-your-game DRM), but I agree it's a pain. My net is flaky and slow and unreliable, and it can be infuriating to not play the games you paid for.
Beiträge 1-15 von 97
< >
Pro Seite: 15 30 50
Geschrieben am: 2. Juni 2013 um 13:51 Uhr