u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:27pm
Valve, don't let game makers be sneaky on their store pages
Ubisoft/Nadeo is emailing people with a "Free Download" button to get the open beta of Shootmania. But when you click on Free Download, it takes you to the steam store page which is selling pre-purchases of the game. If it's a "free download", then like every other free game on steam (such as F2P, Free Weekends, etc) it should have a green "Play Free" button.

Instead, they have pretty much hidden the free download over at the side in a "Download Demo" link. That doesn't even make sense. A beta is not a demo. Also they say that if you pre-purchase the game you get immediate access to the beta, as if you need to pay to get that...

Uncool
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:31pm 
That was an e-mail from the Publisher. Not Steam. If it wasn't on the Steam store page, it isn't Steam's problem. Complain to the Publisher.
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:51pm 
I have already complained to them.

Firstly, if you read my whole post, you'll see that some of the things I'm complaining about are what's actually on the Steam store page.

Secondly, it does concern Valve how a publisher/game developer is using their store page, and how they are advertising. Valve is in partnership with those publishers, and sharing in the profits.
Tangerine Dream Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:55pm 
Its not an official e-mail. You probably just got your steam account hacked when you logged in the link page.
Last edited by Tangerine Dream; Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:56pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by bludshot:
I have already complained to them.

Firstly, if you read my whole post, you'll see that some of the things I'm complaining about are what's actually on the Steam store page.

Secondly, it does concern Valve how a publisher/game developer is using their store page, and how they are advertising. Valve is in partnership with those publishers, and sharing in the profits.

No, you followed a link to Steam's page expecting something that does not exist.

The demo and the Beta are one in the same, even said so in the description.

"You can join the ShootMania Storm Open Beta without a pre-purchase by clicking the Demo Download button."

That is not misleading.

Valve is a retailer. You don't complain to Target when you are mis-lead by an ad on TV.

Nothing you said can be contributed to Steam in any way.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:04pm
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:08pm 
Originally posted by Please Unicorn Eat Tacos WithMe:
Its not an official e-mail. You probably just got your steam account hacked when you logged in the link page.

No, it is official, it's from ubisoft. Good idea though.
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
No, you followed a link to Steam's page expecting something that does not exist.

No, I expected to be able to download the beta for free, and the free beta does exist.

The demo and the Beta are one in the same, even said so in the description.

Demos and Betas are not the same thing. They never have been, and to just sit there and accept that retailers/developers/distributors are going to mis-use those words and redefine them to their own benefit is not acceptable to me.

"You can join the ShootMania Storm Open Beta without a pre-purchase by clicking the Demo Download button."

That is not misleading.

*that* text you just pasted is not misleading no. The whole thing taken as a whole is misleading. All free games on steam have a green download link that says Play Free. For example, Free Weekend games. So to not follow that standard here is misleading in and of itself.

To claim that pre-purchasing gives you immediate access to the beta is misleading, because it implies that the only way to get immediate access to the beta is to pre-purchase. Couple that with the intentional obscuring of the Play Free button over to the Demo Download button (when an Open Beta is not a Demo and never has been) and you've got yourself some misleading stuff.

Valve is a retailer. You don't complain to Target when you are mis-lead by an ad on TV.

If a product company sent me an email saying I could get a free deal at Target's website, and then I clicked the link and it went to Target's web page for that product and it wasn't free, then yes I would complain to Target. Target has a relationship with that product manufacturer and they can pressure them not to send misleading emails that link to Target's website and make them look bad.

In fact, if I saw an ad for a product on TV that said "This product is now $99.99 at Target" and I went to Target and it wasn't $99.99, you bet your ♥♥♥ I would complain to Target.

Nothing you said can be contributed to Steam in any way.

Yes it can be attributed to Steam. 1. The steam page says you get immediate access to the beta by pre-purchasing. This is misleading because you can get immediate access without pre-purchasing. 2. The steam page is improperly using a Demo Download link to point to something that isn't a demo and/or that link should say Download Free Open Beta. 3. The steam page is breaking the standards that every other game uses by not providing the standard green Play Free link.

What if a game broke the standard practice for how Steam shows prices? And it had a Buy Now link that said $19.99* and then in the text below it said *plus digital distribution fee of $10. By your logic that would not be misleading either, because it explains it in the text.

What's next on Steam? Steam promoting Free 2 Play games where when you go to the page the only noticeable option is to Buy the game outright? With a grey demo download link over to the side?
Spawn of Totoro Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229870/

"Pre-Purchase Offer

Pre-Purchase ShootMania Storm and receive in addition to immediate access to the beta the following items:

Get started with 5000 Planets and gain more as you play, allowing you to acquire more custom skins and game modes created by the community
Unrestricted access to all communication channels
3 free Stations, allowing you to easily install additional custom or official game modes

You can join the ShootMania Storm Open Beta without a pre-purchase by clicking the Demo Download button."

Nothing there said you need to bu the game for the beta. You only get in-game items for the beta if you buy the game.
-----
You probelm is the e-mail and you are blaming Valve for part of it when they had nothing to do with it.

You are more at fault then Steam is since your interpretation of the page is highly flawed.
-----
Target can't be blamed for another company's advertising, nor can they prevent it.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 8, 2013 @ 1:49pm
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 3:59pm 
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229870/

"Pre-Purchase Offer

Pre-Purchase ShootMania Storm and receive in addition to immediate access to the beta the following items:

Get started with 5000 Planets and gain more as you play, allowing you to acquire more custom skins and game modes created by the community
Unrestricted access to all communication channels
3 free Stations, allowing you to easily install additional custom or official game modes

You can join the ShootMania Storm Open Beta without a pre-purchase by clicking the Demo Download button."

Nothing there said you need to bu the game for the beta. You only get in-game items for the beta if you buy the game.

Regardless, my complaints stand.

-----
You probelm is the e-mail and you are blaming Valve for part of it when they had nothing to do with it.

As I explained in the original post and in the follow up replies, my problem is not just the email. It is also about some things on the steam page, which I even numbered and listed for you.

You are more at fault then Steam is since your interpretation of the page is highly flawed.

There is nothing flawed about my "interpretation" of the steam page. I see exactly what's on it and I read exactly whats on it, and I'm complaining about what's there. I've made no interpretations, so they can't be flawed.

-----
Target can't be blamed for another company's advertising, nor can they prevent it.

My complaint has 2 aspects to it, as I've explained to you (to be honest I came here to make a complaint and inform Valve about something, not explain it to randoms). However, one aspect is about things on the steam page, which I have numbered and listed for you. The other aspect is about the email.

In the case of the email with regards to your Target analogy, I am not blaming Valve for Ubisoft's email. I am letting them know about it. Valve actually can effect the type of advertising that developers make in relation to Steam. If for example a game company was advertising that if you buy a game on steam you get extra things that you don't actually get, I'm sure Valve would care about that and tell the developer to stop doing that please. Valve has a stake in the quality of it's store.

A more apt comparison regarding this Target thing, would be if a product company had a display inside a Target store, and on their display they listed incorrect prices or quantities or something. Target could be blamed for having that incorrect thing sitting in their store, and they can prevent it by altering or removing it. This is much more similar to the situation with Steam. These game makers have their product and the display (page) for it "in" the Steam store.

In the case of the things on the steam page, Valve clearly can control that, it's their store.
Tangerine Dream Mar 8, 2013 @ 4:32pm 
You complain too much. They say in the store page that in order to get the open beta you need to go to the demo download, its not like its hidden. They wrote it there, big and clear.

Its there, explicitly telling you how to get the open beta. If you have minimum english comprehension and interest in playing the game you will figure it out.

It usually doesn't work like this but this time it does. So stop complaining for the sake of complaining, download the game, and go do something more productive.
Last edited by Tangerine Dream; Mar 8, 2013 @ 4:32pm
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 9:09pm 
So you're on here complaining that I'm complaining about an issue, and *I* complain too much? :D

I never said that if a person looks into it they couldn't figure it out. That's not my issue. My issue is clear.

Complaining that someone else is complaining about an issue is surely the less productive thing to be doing.
SkylarKitty Mar 8, 2013 @ 10:54pm 
The download demo button is not hidden, it's right there on the Steam Store page as a bight green button. I wouldn't exactly say they're trying to hide it are they?
The email you got was from Ubisoft linkin you to a Steam Store page. Valve cannot control who links people to their page. Anyone can grab a Steam Store link and say it will take you to anything.

Ubisoft said you could get the Beta for free and that is not the case, this is Ubisoft's fault and not Valve's

It says quite clearly on the page you can join the Beta for free if you clock on the Download Demo button, this is not misleading in any way and you should have read that properly.

Your logic is flawed. So if a product company says you can get "X" at Target for "Y" amount and it either turns out its not available or at the specified price. Then this is the product company's fault for supplying the wrong information. Stop blaming Valve for things that aren't their fault, and before you say they aren't, look at your Thread name, "Valve, don't let game makers be sneaky on their store pages." This is not Valve's responsibility, it is Ubisoft's to be honest which they are not. So stop complaining about something which is wrong and go play the game if you want, if you don't, then go do something else.
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 11:31pm 
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
The download demo button is not hidden, it's right there on the Steam Store page as a bight green button. I wouldn't exactly say they're trying to hide it are they?

That is not what I saw before making this thread. I just checked again now after reading you say this, and I still don't see that. It shows as a bright green button for you? Not me. If it did then I likely would not have made the post.

I wonder why it shows different on your steam than mine?? Perhaps you have discovered a bug on Steam.

The email you got was from Ubisoft linkin you to a Steam Store page. Valve cannot control who links people to their page. Anyone can grab a Steam Store link and say it will take you to anything.

Valve does indeed have an influence on the developers who sell games on Steam. They also have some measure of control of what is displayed on the Steam store. This is not a case of "anyone" posting a steam store link and saying anything - this is the actual developer/distributor.

Ubisoft said you could get the Beta for free and that is not the case, this is Ubisoft's fault and not Valve's

Huh? No, it is the case.

It says quite clearly on the page you can join the Beta for free if you clock on the Download Demo button, this is not misleading in any way and you should have read that properly.

I have explained previously what is and is not misleading about this. I am not going to repeat myself for you. Perhaps you should read what I have said properly?

Your logic is flawed. So if a product company says you can get "X" at Target for "Y" amount and it either turns out its not available or at the specified price. Then this is the product company's fault for supplying the wrong information.

My logic is not flawed. When the retailer has a direct relationship with the product company, they have influence (and interest) in how the company portrays the retailer. It does not do a retailer any good to have a company who sells products with them irritating customers and causing the retailer problems with customers who have been given incorrect expectations.

No where have I blamed Valve for Ubisoft's email. Also, the vast majority of what I have spoken about is about things *on* the Steam store, which has nothing to do with your 'flawed logic' example. Scroll up to re-read those things I guess.

Stop blaming Valve for things that aren't their fault, and before you say they aren't, look at your Thread name, "Valve, don't let game makers be sneaky on their store pages." This is not Valve's responsibility, it is Ubisoft's to be honest which they are not. So stop complaining about something which is wrong and go play the game if you want, if you don't, then go do something else.

I have not blamed Valve for anything that isn't their fault. My thread name is self explanatory. The content of store pages IS Valve's responsibility, jointly with the game makers. How can you say that Valve has no responsibility for their own store pages??

If something is wrong, why would I not point it out? Why don't you stop complaining about my thread and go do something else?
u wot m8 Mar 8, 2013 @ 11:40pm 
That adds nothing to this conversation.
Tsundere Kanojo Mar 8, 2013 @ 11:45pm 
Originally posted by bludshot:
That adds nothing to this conversation.

Sure it does.

You read the email and saw 'Free download" for the open beta of Shootmania.

You clicked it and it took you to said store page.

But you had failed to read the text that was displayed on said page saying:

Which is clearly shown on the store page.

So basically, you're complaining about something extremely petty and assume that developers/publishers are being sneaky.

Right.

Oh you could argue that Valve could have put a 'Download BETA" button instead of the "Download Demo" button, but that's more of them not bothering to or they expected people to read the text below that the button does otherwise.
Last edited by Tsundere Kanojo; Mar 9, 2013 @ 12:07am
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 8, 2013 @ 12:27pm