Jake Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:52pm
Steam Devs: Are you looking at the recently proposed PS4 features and thinking about competing?
One of the features that most stands out at Sony's PS4 unveiling was that the PS4 is always recording your game while you play, and you can press a key to bring up an overlay that lets you share video clips of you playing and begin streaming your game live. PC users can run FRAPS in the background and constantly record (dropping FPS like crazy) to achieve roughly the same effect, but through a lot more steps.

I can't help but think that Steam could really use in-game recording that's as easy as the PS4's seems to be (although the PS4 is only in concept stage right now, apparently).
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Jawaka Mar 7, 2013 @ 9:02am 
I can't say that I've ever felt the need to record a video of my playing a video game. If it was always recording wouldn't that eat up a lot of disc space?
Spawn of Totoro Mar 7, 2013 @ 9:08am 
Why would Steam do that? There are so many programs that do it available on the PC already. Sony had to play catchup, PCs were already there.
Tito Shivan Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:48am 
OMG WHY IS STEAM FILLING UP MY HARD DRIVE!!!
and such. Steam does not need the problems of a feature that is pretty much implemented elsewhere and adds nothing to them.
Besides, i'd be looking closely at other 'still not quite debunked' features on the console.
http://techland.time.com/2013/02/21/will-the-playstation-4-play-used-games-maybe-maybe-not/
Ganger Mar 7, 2013 @ 10:48am 
I like the idea of steam having their own in-game recording.
SnarKs Mar 7, 2013 @ 11:35am 
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/03/23/steam-update-improves-voice-chat-plans-to-add-video-recording-in-future/

As well as the upgraded audio functions, it looks as though Valve will be adding video recording features to Steam in the near future. The news comes from Valve fan Political Gamer’s visit to the Valve offices. While there he spoke to Valve CEO Gabe Newell. Political Gamer says that he “confirmed that Steam will get a video recorder very soon.”

But who knows how true or if it will ever happen. heh
Killer Koala Mar 7, 2013 @ 1:47pm 
Try XFire, it can broadcast your games in real-time to anyone willing to watch them. You can view the live videos here: http://www.xfire.com/live_videos

It also does screenshots and video recording which can be uploaded to your own page for other users to view.
Jake Mar 7, 2013 @ 6:02pm 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
OMG WHY IS STEAM FILLING UP MY HARD DRIVE!!!
and such. Steam does not need the problems of a feature that is pretty much implemented elsewhere and adds nothing to them.

No no no you are misunderstanding it completely. The PS4 does not record all video game footage and just shove it on your hard drive, and Steam would not have to do that either. All it has to do is save a few minutes at a time. Let's say you're playing for 30 minutes and you do something that you want video of. You open the Steam overlay, hit "save last 5 minutes", and it puts THAT footage aside. The other footage is deleted once you exit the game.
Last edited by Jake; Mar 7, 2013 @ 6:07pm
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:52pm