iViking Mar 5, 2013 @ 10:12am
Why should I invest in the Steam Box?
I'm saving up for a gaming PC to play my Steam games, but I'm researching the Steam Box. So far I am unimpressed. All the talk about the Steam Box is merely rumors and there's not even a tentative release date. Valve is keeping quiet about this system, and judging on the company's business plan, I might not even see it come to light. I'm not convinced that the Steam Box really exists.
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 5, 2013 @ 10:17am 
I hear it's wise to only invest in to things that actually are ready for sale. The steambox in it's current state is just slightly above rumor status.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 5, 2013 @ 10:19am
Firask Mar 5, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
How much you willing to spend on a gaming PC?
a.k.a. Dead Mar 5, 2013 @ 2:23pm 
I think a lot of people, including myself, currently consider their pc's to be their 'Steam Box'.
Power of Seven Mar 5, 2013 @ 3:31pm 
Gabe Newell just announced to press that the Steam Box prototypes are probably going out to developers in three to four months. So it's not a "rumor" that it exists and he's making them for real.
iViking Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:12pm 
Not good enough for me. Valve is a company of software developers. Therefore they have zero experience with hardware.
Spawn of Totoro Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:15pm 
Originally posted by Power of Seven:
Gabe Newell just announced to press that the Steam Box prototypes are probably going out to developers in three to four months. So it's not a "rumor" that it exists and he's making them for real.

No one said it wa s rumor. What is a rumor is what is in it and how it will work.

That is why The Rolling Cheese said it was slighly above a rumor.

That is subject to change untill release.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:17pm
MadCat 2.2 Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:50pm 
Valve is a software developer, but if i recall, the spark that started the steam box rumor was that they hired a hardware/controller developer
Iceman77 Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:51am 
I would run from steam & any steam products like a ♥♥♥♥a with his boots on fire tbh... but that's just me and that's my opinion in hindsight.
Last edited by Iceman77; Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:53am
Twoony Mar 6, 2013 @ 10:53am 
i used to think it was a great idea. but having experienced big picture im not so sure.
every game i have requires a mouse to change settings in the intermediate menu before launch. if the game has no menu then often in game the settings need a mouse to change (Trine2 is an example of a big picture controller game that requires a mouse for changing settings.

with the experience of Sony and Microsoft, not forgetting the often forgot nintendo i cant see ANY reason for the steam box?? the advantage of PC over consoles has shrunk over the years and the feature set of these modern media boxes we call consoles out strip what windows / linux offers right now for ease of use.

still i stand to be corrected. maybe big picture wont be a dogs dinner for ever?
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 6, 2013 @ 11:03am 
Originally posted by Oneonyourface:
i used to think it was a great idea. but having experienced big picture im not so sure.
every game i have requires a mouse to change settings in the intermediate menu before launch. if the game has no menu then often in game the settings need a mouse to change (Trine2 is an example of a big picture controller game that requires a mouse for changing settings.

with the experience of Sony and Microsoft, not forgetting the often forgot nintendo i cant see ANY reason for the steam box?? the advantage of PC over consoles has shrunk over the years and the feature set of these modern media boxes we call consoles out strip what windows / linux offers right now for ease of use.

still i stand to be corrected. maybe big picture wont be a dogs dinner for ever?

If steambox has nvidia shield streaming technology without the need for a nvidia GPU, then it might sell. I would love to be able to stream from PC to TV without actually moving the PC from my desk.

If the steambox is a PC with just standard ubuntu on it, then Valve is aiming at a tiny demographic that doesn't already have a capable PC.

After much thought, modular computing sounds incredibly stupid, the price would be astronomically high because there is no competitors producing modular parts for the system. Would be cheaper just to build a custom micro-atx computer.


Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 6, 2013 @ 11:09am
Revan Mar 6, 2013 @ 1:43pm 
there working with Nvida and the creators of X3
Originally posted by iViking:
Not good enough for me. Valve is a company of software developers. Therefore they have zero experience with hardware.
Dreakon Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
I would love to be able to stream from PC to TV without actually moving the PC from my desk.
Isn't that pretty much the idea behind wireless HDMI cables?
Revan Mar 6, 2013 @ 4:40pm 
O.O wait there's wireless HDMI cables?
Originally posted by ;864961713006650388:
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
I would love to be able to stream from PC to TV without actually moving the PC from my desk.
Isn't that pretty much the idea behind wireless HDMI cables?
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 6, 2013 @ 5:08pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
I would love to be able to stream from PC to TV without actually moving the PC from my desk.
Isn't that pretty much the idea behind wireless HDMI cables?

Right but I don't have a long enough usb cable to extend from my room all the way to the living room. How am I going to control the computer? Pretty sure wireless usb's don't pass through several walls.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Mar 6, 2013 @ 5:08pm
Twoony Mar 7, 2013 @ 4:48am 
i think they should concentrate on WINE for windows emulation (buy the devs out or employ them) pay for some rudemetery licencing for MS. Then also at the same time focus on Linux as a platform for OpenGL games and increase the quality of Big picture to a level where is can be downloaded as an .ISO and run as a dedicated application with the ability to go to desktop like XBMCbuntu for example
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 5, 2013 @ 10:12am
Posts: 17