darkholy119 Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:29pm
What is steam's return policy?
If I'm not at all happy with a game recently purchased on steam, is there any way to return it for a refund or credit?

Thanks
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Sicris Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:38pm 
All sales final except under special circumstances.
Frazer Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:38pm 
No. Buyer's remorse is not a qualifying reason for a refund.
You can get a refund if the game is not fit for purpose. You cannot get a refund simply because you do not like the game. You also cannot get a refund if you have already played the game once successfully.You cannot get a refund if the game fails to run on your system but runs well on the majority of other systems.
Originally posted by FrazerJC:

It should be! If a persons being honest, there's no reason not to refund them. Well, maybe under a policy like, you can't have over x amount of time played with said game.

I mean, if a person didn't like a game, they can always just lie & say there's a problem constantly crashing, installing etc etc. I would hope that a game constantly crashing, or not installing would warrant a refund anyhow. But I guess you never know.
Last edited by Iceman77's_SON_LEAVE_ME_ALONE; Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:50pm
Originally posted by ***1cem@n***:
Originally posted by FrazerJC:

It should be! If a persons being honest, there's no reason not to refund them. Well, maybe under a policy like, you can't have over x amount of time played with said game.

I mean, if a person didn't like a game, they can always just lie & say there's a problem constantly crashing, installing etc etc. I would hope that a game constantly crashing, or not installing would warrant a refund anyhow.

Not really, it's not steam's fault if a game runs well on everyones computer, but not yours. It's not steams responsibility to insure it's customers are up to date with hardware as well as software.
Chika Ogiue Mar 4, 2013 @ 1:24am 
While support will state that all sales are final; they will tend to offer a ONE time refund as a good will gesture. But you'll typically only get the one. The only time you are guaranteed a refund is if you are cancelling a pre-order.
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:

I mean, if a person didn't like a game, they can always just lie & say there's a problem constantly crashing, installing etc etc. I would hope that a game constantly crashing, or not installing would warrant a refund anyhow.

Not really, it's not steam's fault if a game runs well on everyones computer, but not yours. It's not steams responsibility to insure it's customers are up to date with hardware as well as software.

Fair enough. But, say a game wont run because steam refuses to launch Uplay (in order to play the game). Would it not be fair to ask for a refund? In any case, that's what I'm about to have to do. As i've literally spent over 24hrs (actual man hours) troubleshooting said issue. I hope steam will refund my money =/
Last edited by Iceman77's_SON_LEAVE_ME_ALONE; Mar 4, 2013 @ 1:28am
gnoj Mar 4, 2013 @ 3:36am 
Depends on what kind of mood they're in and how generous the employee who reads your ticket is feeling. Steam Support is rather infamous for being among the worst in the industry so good luck to you. As someone said you should receive one complimentary refund no matter the reason so you can use that up if you feel you're not getting through to them otherwise.

As for Uplay, just don't buy games that stack additional DRM on top of Steam- it's more trouble than its worth. If you really want a Ubi game then it's likely better to just get it through Uplay directly. I've only added such multi-DRM titles to my library if they came in a bundle of mostly Steam-only titles or if I happened not to notice they had that before I bought them.
Originally posted by gnoj:
As for Uplay, just don't buy games that stack additional DRM on top of Steam- it's more trouble than its worth. If you really want a Ubi game then it's likely better to just get it through Uplay directly.

Yup. But ofcourse all of this is in hindsight. I realized immediately what a ♥♥♥♥ storm it was. Had I known about Uplay before hand, I would have just went to Uplay to get the game. In any case, I've literally been out of the "loop" with all of these shenanigans / platforms, as I've been playing the same series for ~11 years.

Inwhich, that series is now coming to steam with it's next release. So I figured hey, I'll see what this steam is all about beforehand. Turns out to be the biggest run around in history... From my prespective these platforms are totally redundant.
Last edited by Iceman77's_SON_LEAVE_ME_ALONE; Mar 4, 2013 @ 4:27am
Mrawri Mar 4, 2013 @ 6:34am 
The time issue really doesn't work because nothing is stopping users switching to offline mode and completing the game then trying to return it. You can try contact Support which is infuriatingly slow and get a refund, which you might if you're lucky. Otherwise you're generally stuck with the game. It's not Valve's problem if your computer can't run the game or won't launch Uplay
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
It's not Valve's problem if your computer can't run the game or won't launch Uplay

Well that's yet to be determined.(Apparently) Sometimes for example, registry keys aren't included in the download. Forcing the consumer, to fix the problem. Which hasn't been the case for me (well, I've checked and things appear to be legit). But just things like that.

I've a very well maintained computer. It's not a super beast, but up until now, never had any problems, and can play any game out atm (besides far cry 3). All latest drivers, DX etc etc.

-i5-2500k
-asus gtx 560
-asus p8p67-pro mobo
-8GB corsair ddr3 1600
-win 7 home premium
Last edited by Iceman77's_SON_LEAVE_ME_ALONE; Mar 4, 2013 @ 7:02am
Mrawri Mar 4, 2013 @ 7:01am 
You can have the most powerful computer in the world, but it won't fix a software problem so posting your PC specs are kind of pointless. Steam supplies you with the game which is all their obliged to do. If the game doesn't work due to software problems with your computer or problems with additional software like Windows Live Games or Uplay, this is as well none of their concern and is up to you to fix this.
(Apparently) Sometimes for example, registry keys aren't included in the download. Forcing the consumer, to fix the problem. Just things like that.
Last edited by Iceman77's_SON_LEAVE_ME_ALONE; Mar 4, 2013 @ 7:03am
Killer Koala Mar 4, 2013 @ 8:55am 
Fair enough. But, say a game wont run because steam refuses to launch Uplay (in order to play the game). Would it not be fair to ask for a refund? In any case, that's what I'm about to have to do. As i've literally spent over 24hrs (actual man hours) troubleshooting said issue. I hope steam will refund my money =/
Have you sent in a support ticket to Ubisoft Support? If not, you should get started on that right now. If you did, what has Ubisoft said so far?
Zukabazuka Mar 4, 2013 @ 10:29am 
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
It's not Valve's problem if your computer can't run the game or won't launch Uplay

Well that's yet to be determined.(Apparently) Sometimes for example, registry keys aren't included in the download. Forcing the consumer, to fix the problem. Which hasn't been the case for me (well, I've checked and things appear to be legit). But just things like that.

I've a very well maintained computer. It's not a super beast, but up until now, never had any problems, and can play any game out atm (besides far cry 3). All latest drivers, DX etc etc.

-i5-2500k
-asus gtx 560
-asus p8p67-pro mobo
-8GB corsair ddr3 1600
-win 7 home premium
Registry keys not being part with the purchase is known to happen during holiday sales when discount on the game can go up to 75%, This is cause a huge number of people are buying it. Valve get a certain amount of keys, around 10k-100k depending on what game it is. Some companies said they sold more games total during winter sale than from release day to the winter sale.

As for refund, when the game is seriously lying about what it gives out and just fail to deliver there is a chance for refund. War Z is a good example about refund. But if people just don't like the game they should have read up about it.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 3, 2013 @ 11:29pm