ChrisB Feb 23, 2013 @ 9:30am
Discussions Region Lock
Who here is tired of seeing section after section you post in spammed with a foreign language?

Well I can tell you that I am, everywhere I look there are Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, German and French language threads completely spamming a section I post in and not only is it an eyesore it's annoying to sift through.

I am in the United States and English is spoken by about 90% of the population here more or less. I don't interact in any other language, I don't need to and frankly I don't want to. Why don't we have an option that would allow us to lock up discussions to our specific region only so we will only see content from where we live?

I don't need to see threads originating from Russia ever, EVER, for any reason! So why should I have to?

Valve give us the OPTION and ability to lock discussions to our region IF WE SO CHOOSE.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
Jade Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:47am 
Valve isn't exactly known for adding options so I don't really see this happening.

Personally I have no need what-so-ever for something like this as there are very few non-english threads around and those are easy to ignore.

I'm not against it either as long as it is, as you said, optional.
ChrisB Feb 23, 2013 @ 10:51am 
Originally posted by Jade:
Valve isn't exactly known for adding options so I don't really see this happening.

Personally I have no need what-so-ever for something like this as there are very few non-english threads around and those are easy to ignore.

I'm not against it either as long as it is, as you said, optional.
Well this mainly pertains to individual game hubs as they are just one section jumbled into the mix for everyone. I spend a lot of time in the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive discussions and it's just a mess with all different languages.
Silv3r9 Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:12am 
Originally posted by deuce:
I am in the United States and English is spoken by about 90% of the population here more or less. I don't interact in any other language, I don't need to and frankly I don't want to. Why don't we have an option that would allow us to lock up discussions to our specific region only so we will only see content from where we live?

* Official Language of the U.S.

There is no "official" language for the United States, although some individual states list English as their official language. If you would like the United States or your state to adopt an official language, you should contact your elected officials.

Useless public education apparently did not teach you that there are over 300 languages spoken in the USA. [facepalm]...or maybe you were absent that day XD

Oh, and Steam is a worldwide platform so they are not at fault for your inability to simply ignore threads in a language you do not understand. Common sense...get some maybe?

Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:14am 
So what if I want to speak to English speakers in Indonesia? What would I do then?
buttmonster Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:30am 
"Why don't we have an option that would allow us to lock up discussions to our specific region only so we will only see content from where we live?"

Focusing on the "where we live" part. What about a person in France who speaks perfect English? Would they not be allowed to contribute to the discussion because they live in France?

I don't think Steam will support that kind of segregation. Go back to the 1920s.
buttmonster Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:33am 
Your optioning to create segregation. You want steam to enable your racism.
ChrisB Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:35am 
Originally posted by Special Agent Fox Mulder:
Your optioning to create segregation. You want steam to enable your racism.
Sorry pal but a nationality is not a race, and it's not segregation as it would only affect an individual client who wants those regions locked out.

Unbelievable...
buttmonster Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:37am 
Fine, nationalism. You don't want to see threads started by those nasty, dirty, disgusting europeans. How dare they post on the Steam discussion forums, GET THEM OUT OF MY SIGHT AT ONCE.

HOW DARE DEM DIRTY JAPANESE TRY AND POST ON MAH AMERICAN STEAM FORUMS, GO KAWAII DESU YOURSELF IN THE ♥♥♥ :americabestcountry420erryday:
Last edited by buttmonster; Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:38am
ChrisB Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:40am 
Fine, nationalism. You don't want to see threads started by those nasty, dirty, disgusting europeans. How dare they post on the Steam discussion forums, GET THEM OUT OF MY SIGHT AT ONCE.
I'm about done talking to you, you obviously missed the boat of what this discussion is inferring. If I don't want to see threads created in regions of the world which primarily speak languages I will never understand, these threads are taking up space and annoying me, I should have an option to HIDE them so I no longer have to view them. This is not something even remotely hard to understand and you're being insanely difficult.
buttmonster Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:41am 
Its easy to understand, you don't want to have to read messages posted by anybody other than GOD FEARING AMERICANS.

I don't understand what it is with you people. Just accept that the rest of the world speaks english just fine, and isolating yourself away from them isn't an option you should be taking at all.

Just don't read the russian threads, they aren't hard to avoid.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:44am 

HOW DARE DEM DIRTY JAPANESE TRY AND POST ON MAH AMERICAN STEAM FORUMS, GO KAWAII DESU YOURSELF IN THE ♥♥♥ :americabestcountry420erryday:

Wrong again. People are simply annoyed to have to sift through Russian threads written in Russian in the English forums. They have their own subform, so why exactly are they clogging up the english section? While the solution presented by the OP is dumb, but I can't say I am not thoroughly annoyed when I log in to steam to find half a page of threads written in a language I can't understand.
Singularity Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:45am 
Hey deuce, as someone else pointed out in this discussion, your region blocking idea would block other english speaking countries as well. What are your thoughts on that?
buttmonster Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:46am 
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:

Wrong again. People are simply annoyed to have to sift through Russian threads written in Russian in the English forums. They have their own subform, so why exactly are they clogging up the english section? While the solution presented by the OP is dumb, but I can't say I am not thoroughly annoyed when I log in to steam to find half a page of threads written in a language I can't understand.

This I can deal with. Yes, it is annoying. But isolating yourself from the rest of the world because "oh god I saw a cyrillic symbol I don't understand get me out of here"? That's just childish.
tmwfte Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:49am 
Originally posted by deuce:
Sorry pal but a nationality is not a race, and it's not segregation as it would only affect an individual client who wants those regions locked out.

Any way you cut it, it's still bigotry. What about the 37+ million in the US who speak Spanish? Just tell them to shut up?

Honestly, take a step back and look at it objectively: How would you like it if Mandarin Chinese was the prominent language on these boards and someone suggested that all English-speakers should be segregated by region?
ChrisB Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:50am 
Originally posted by Singularity:
Hey deuce, as someone else pointed out in this discussion, your region blocking idea would block other english speaking countries as well. What are your thoughts on that?
Who knows, split it up into quadrants for all I care with check boxes you can select if wanted. It's just a simple suggestion for a common annoyance which no one seems to talk about. How it could be implemented could go a hundred different ways.

This I can deal with. Yes, it is annoying. But isolating yourself from the rest of the world because "oh god I saw a cyrillic symbol I don't understand get me out of here"? That's just childish.
I don't want to see these things which fill up half a page at a time, what is even remotely childish about that?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 23, 2013 @ 9:30am