Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:23pm
Was removing /me truly necessary?
I know that scamming's a bit of a huge problem, but was it really needed?
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Rex Ormunde Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:25pm 
Dont bother. Valve is censoring us and locking all these topics. They clearly do not care about the community when it comes to such a small thing, no matter how passionate we are about keeping /me around. I suggest finding an alternative to Steam with the /me function if you really want it (if it even exists).
Last edited by Rex Ormunde; Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:25pm
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:26pm 
Originally posted by Rex:
Dont bother. Valve is censoring us and locking all these topics. They clearly do not care about the community when it comes to such a small thing, no matter how passionate we are about keeping /me around. I suggest finding an alternative to Steam with the /me function if you really want it (if it even exists).

Agh.
Really.
Couldn't they add some sort of toggle?
Rex Ormunde Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:28pm 
Nope. We've been through pretty much every idea imaginable. They continue to lock these topics and tell us that it's not coming back. There's some pretty good ideas out there too. It sucks, but in my opinion, this is what happens when power goes to a companies head. It starts of small like this, and just gets worse. I'm not jumping ship yet, but I'm no longer investing everything into Steam.
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:30pm 
They could at least take some suggestions into mind.
If they did, it might offer a ceasefire.
I'm not directly saying, "Give it back, Valve."
But at least take some ideas into mind, maybe consider that not everyone was a scammer/scammed.
Matt Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:31pm 
Threads are locked when they turn argumentative and non-constructive. Discussions on the /me topic are fine, but there seems to a large amount of trolling, yelling, and insults that come too, and it's those things causing threads to be locked.

To answer the original question, yes, it was necessary to remove it.
Last edited by Matt; Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:32pm
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:32pm 
Originally posted by Matt:
Threads are locked when they turn argumentative and non-constructive. Discussions on the topic are fine, but there seems to a large amount of trolling, yelling, and insults that come too, and it's those things causing threads to be locked.

I wouldn't have known that was the reason because I just now noticed that the command was gone.
But okay.
Rex Ormunde Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:34pm 
Threads are locked when they turn argumentative and non-constructive. Discussions on the /me topic are fine, but there seems to a large amount of trolling, yelling, and insults that come too, and it's those things causing threads to be locked.

To answer the original question, yes, it was necessary to remove it.

Those things shouldn't. It's very easy to remove problematic posts, but I suppose Valve doesn't have the patience or drive to do this. In this case, every single /me topic is going to end up locked because of the passion behind the subject. Valve made a mistake. It's pretty obvious. A mistake as far as the long term plan, not the short term removal of /me.
Last edited by Rex Ormunde; Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:34pm
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:34pm 
I'm sorry, but how could you fall for such a scam anyway?
Not to be rude or anything, but seriously.
Matt Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:35pm 
Problematic posts do get removed. But when the thread as a whole becomes problematic and we find ourselves deleting lots of posts, then that topic has become non-constructive and gets locked. But locked threads are still viewable so you're welcome to read them.
Rex Ormunde Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:39pm 
Problematic posts do get removed. But when the thread as a whole becomes problematic and we find ourselves deleting lots of posts, then that topic has become non-constructive and gets locked. But locked threads are still viewable so you're welcome to read them.

That doesnt help a discussion post where a majority of it ISNT problematic. I can point out a few locked topics where this is an accurate statement. I mean, I can create a crapton of topics if I need to in order to get a discussion done, because each one keeps getting interupted with a lock, but somehow I think this will get me into some trouble.
Last edited by Rex Ormunde; Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:39pm
Quick!SaveTheChildren Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:39pm 
Originally posted by Tourna:

The scam's described in the sticky post in this discussion forum: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864956554551356679/
I've seen the number of posts about being scammed go down since it was removed Jan 24th in the beta.
Last edited by Quick!SaveTheChildren; Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:41pm
SkylarKitty Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:40pm 
Originally posted by AC:
From the mouth of one of the admins.

/me has been discussed several times before, two of the largest threads concerning it having been locked because of them digressing into flaming and trolling. There's no point in discussing it further, it's been stated before that it's not coming back.
Firepower Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:41pm 
For the love of god please don't remove this feature, at the very least make it a toggleable option that is by default unchecked. I loved the /me command D:
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:42pm 
Originally posted by Quick!SaveTheChildren:
Originally posted by Tourna:

The scam's described in the sticky post in this discussion forum: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864956554551356679/

Even if someone did fall for it, there are probably a million users out there who DIDN'T.
A million who used the /me innocently, not for scamming purposes.
So Valve just up and says, "Hey, how about we cut it out entirely?"
Tourna the Unlucky Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:43pm 
Originally posted by IF Skylar Icarus:
Originally posted by AC:
From the mouth of one of the admins.

/me has been discussed several times before, two of the largest threads concerning it having been locked because of them digressing into flaming and trolling. There's no point in discussing it further, it's been stated before that it's not coming back.

I am quite aware that an admin has already stated this.
Doesn't stop me from making the thread anyway.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:23pm