Maño78 Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:46am
My immediate experiences with Ubuntu.
Hello,

I'l try keep this as quick as possible, it's just feedback from an admittedly slightly dim steam user, basically i tried Ubuntu due to the advert on Steam, apart from wanting the cute penguin for TF2 i also wanted to support Valve, but i had a frustrating experience.

Here's how it went,

Went to site, downloaded and used installer, failed to complete installation twice, burnt Ubuntu to DVD and tried again, installed Ubuntu, restarted computer and got a black screen, restarted again, Ubuntu now loads, went to get ATI graphic driver for linux, tried to install three times, became a non-responsive program half way through each time, tried to change screen resolution to 1024-768 but got huge amount of screen disturbance, went back to pre-set tiny writing, then tried to install Steam instead, wanted to install but instead of an install button there is only a buy option next to it even though it's free, reloaded it a few times, buy option disappears and install appears, i push it quick while the install option has decided to stay around, steam downloads, try to open Steam and get a small black screen saying steam needs to install additional programs, i close it and Steam loads anyway but it appears every time i open steam, downloaded TF2, got my penguin and exited Ubuntu, on reloading windows it had to do a disc check and parts of my AVG are missing so i'l do a re-install, i could go on with other programs that i tried to install and failed to but i'l leave it there.

Ok so no big deal, it's more than likely i'm just not clever enough to find out why i had all these problems, but the only reason i mention it is that if other Steam users are as inept as me then they're going to have a similar experience, it wasn't great, i do hope i am in a minority though because i'd like to see people using a different OS and helping Valve, but for now i'm back on Windows again.

(and i only had 2 games available to play on Linux out of my whole library)
Last edited by Maño78; Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:47am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
banzaigtv Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:04am 
I would have to agree that Windows is better. There's only a handful of games which are compatible with Linux and I don't like the idea of missing out on several functions available on Windows. So I think that Linux is pointless unless you cannot afford to purchase Windows.
Yellson Feb 15, 2013 @ 7:22am 
You happy, at least you managed to start steam.
My steam just isnt starting, it stated, I pressed that I agreed, and bam! Nothing. And nothing happening after I tried to reload and start it again.
PuzzlingPenguin Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:26pm 
Originally posted by banzaigtv:
I would have to agree that Windows is better. There's only a handful of games which are compatible with Linux and I don't like the idea of missing out on several functions available on Windows. So I think that Linux is pointless unless you cannot afford to purchase Windows.

It's the other way around. Windows is missing out on an insane degree of functions available on Linux. The only thing Windows has over Linux is graphics card drivers and game support. Everything else, Windows is pointless.
The Drunk Otter Feb 15, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
ATI and ubuntu... nope.avi
ChrisW Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:41pm 
Now you know why nobody uses Linux. Since it is a hacker operating system, written by hackers, for hackers to use, it is purposely difficult to use. You will need to manually build your own display driver package, not because that makes any sense, but because the hackers that wrote the operating system are purposely making it difficult to use to discourage you from wanting to use Linux.
Last edited by ChrisW; Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:42pm
Maño78 Feb 15, 2013 @ 1:55pm 
Originally posted by ChrisW:
Now you know why nobody uses Linux. Since it is a hacker operating system, written by hackers, for hackers to use, it is purposely difficult to use. You will need to manually build your own display driver package, not because that makes any sense, but because the hackers that wrote the operating system are purposely making it difficult to use to discourage you from wanting to use Linux.

I find that strange, why would Valve be keen on it's customers to use it then? I know they'd like a break away from Microsoft, i guess i'd like that too, i don't know, maybe now that Steam is huge, they could try and write their own OS? They are big players now, maybe the game industry would accomodate for a Steam OS.

Anyway, i don't know much about this kind of stuff, i tried, i failed, i got my penguin hehe.
^4akathepig Feb 15, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
windows is simple,,linux is a nightmare for new users to learn.I dont think its anything to do with hackers ,,if it was made simple it would cost as much as windows.As use for office and spreadsheets great alternative to windows,,gaming no.
ChrisW Feb 15, 2013 @ 2:19pm 
Originally posted by Custard Donut (with Sprinkles):

I find that strange, why would Valve be keen on it's customers to use it then? I know they'd like a break away from Microsoft, i guess i'd like that too, i don't know, maybe now that Steam is huge, they could try and write their own OS? They are big players now, maybe the game industry would accomodate for a Steam OS.

Anyway, i don't know much about this kind of stuff, i tried, i failed, i got my penguin hehe.
Simple: it's free. That said, the developers/hackers were outraged when they found out Valve wanted Steam to run on Linux. Linux could have easily taken off years ago if it's authors wanted it to. Too bad it's authors only want people that write viruses or break into government computers to use Linux.

There is no reason why people should have to manually create their own driver packages when a simple script could do it for them and download anything they are missing. If some company, such as Valve, takes the necessary steps to make it easier to use, Linux could take off.
Choam Nomsky Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:04pm 
Originally posted by banzaigtv:
So I think that Linux is pointless unless you cannot afford to purchase Windows.

Linux is both objectively better in terms of performance, efficiency and standards compliance, and subjectively in how its environment is structured and how its enormous, engaged community functions. Plus, it has better software for it, all of which is completely free and open source.

Sure, it's a bit harder to use and set up than Windows, and things may need some manual tweaking, but investing time in a machine you're gonna be using a great percentage of your day definitely pays off.

Originally posted by banzaigtb:

I'm using Linux right now, so your first statement is incorrect. It is true that Linux is built by hackers, and it is true that most hackers use it, however, it is not true that all Linux users are hackers. Neither is it true that it is "purposely difficult" to use (sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me). I think you're trolling.
DeadWire Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:06pm 
You don't have to compile anything in Ubuntu kid a window pops up asking if I want to install the drivers from Nvidia and handled the whole deal
PleaseHoldOn Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:15pm 
Windows = Everything is done for you.
Linux = Need to do everything for yourself.

If you need to ask "why would anyone want that"... Linux in it's current state probably isn't for you. It's like asking why anyone wants to do anything. Why build a gaming PC, when you can just buy a $200 console that plays the same games and does all the legwork for you. Why make rock music when you can listen to one of the bajillion rock bands out there. Depending on the type of person you are, taking the more difficult route is more rewarding.

Some people like the freedom and open-ness that Linux provides. If done right (meaning there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, unlike Windows), a good Linux installation is almost a work of art... especially if you go with a minimalistic distro.

Compiling software yourself isn't there simply to be difficult, it's to provide access to it's source code. People actually tweak software themselves before compiling to add new features, remove features they don't like and fix/tweak things. If a developer stops supporting something, the source code has been available all along for others to continue... or at least to troubleshoot for themselves. Developers can do the same on Windows, but 90% of them never release the source and 90% of Windows users wouldn't understand it.

Big companies don't like that model because people are less reliant on them (less $$), and Linux users probably don't like closed-source software becoming "mainstream" on the operating system because it defeats the purpose. The only way Linux will become popular is if some company (or companies) make Linux closed off and functional enough "out of the box" to bring over Windows converts and convince them to stay. Considering the thread... I'd say it isn't there yet.
Last edited by PleaseHoldOn; Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:22pm
ChrisW Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:22pm 
Originally posted by Yannbane:
Originally posted by banzaigtb:
I don't know why you changed the quote name, but that is not what I meant. Perhaps the use of the word "nobody" is an the wrong word, but you know what I meant. What I said was that it is purposely difficult to use in order to discourage people from wanting to use it. Way more people simply give up using it because of this reason.

Originally posted by Mosiah13442:
You don't have to compile anything in Ubuntu kid a window pops up asking if I want to install the drivers from Nvidia and handled the whole deal
I'm fully aware of what is required to run Linux as I am currently running three different versions. And I know for a fact you have to create your own AMD driver package and install your own display driver package manually if you want to play any games on Steam. I also know for a fact as a programmer all these steps could easily be greatly simplified for the average user.
Last edited by ChrisW; Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:25pm
PleaseHoldOn Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:25pm 
What I said was that it is purposely difficult to use in order to discourage people from wanting to use it. Way more people simply give up using it because of this reason.
It's more difficult because you are dealing directly with the source code, rather than some convenient package the developer whipped up for you. While that is discouraging to new users, especially Windows converts... don't you see why some people would prefer that?
ChrisW Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:28pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
What I said was that it is purposely difficult to use in order to discourage people from wanting to use it. Way more people simply give up using it because of this reason.
It's more difficult because you are dealing directly with the source code, rather than some convenient package the developer whipped up for you. While that is discouraging to new users, especially Windows converts... don't you see why some people would prefer that?
It is nice to be able to compile your own driver. That said, there is zero reason why every single person should be forced to compile their own driver every single time. There is also no reason why they don't provide a simple script to automatically do that for the average user instead of forcing them to research how to do it and manually type in lots of commands.
PleaseHoldOn Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:32pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
It is nice to be able to compile your own driver. That said, there is zero reason why every single person should be forced to compile their own driver every single time. There is also no reason why they don't provide a simple script to automatically do that for the average user instead of forcing them to research how to do it and manually type in lots of commands.
If you're answering the question of "why do they do it this way"... the answer is not to discourage people from using it. It's for the benefits that compiling your own source provides. If anything the Linux community probably wants to see the OS grow, just under the assumption that people using Linux are proficient on a computer and not lazy. The discouragement speaks less of the operating system and more about the user.

As a programmer, why don't you build a script to assist people with this? It's certainly possible... and would be in the Linux spirit of open-source, community-oriented development.
Last edited by PleaseHoldOn; Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:37pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 15, 2013 @ 6:46am