Valentine Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:46am
Steam Box. Who's it's target market?
I want this to succeed but I just don't understand where it's going.

The only thing I can think of is it's for people who want to play PC but don't want to keep upgrading a PC to keep up with technology.

The quoted price was $850.

But I built my PC for $600 (Just a tower) and I can play everything with max graphics. On top of being able to use it for work and school and just regular browsing.

Besides who is going to want this that already play games? I figure you either
A) Own a PC
or
B) Own a console

and if you own a console then theres a chance theres a bit of fanboyisim there so you'll say that console is better then anything that is or ever will come out (Short of a new console form the same company)

So the target market has to be someone who has to both not play games and not realise they can get a cheaper PC.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Saftle Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:02pm 
The piston isn't the steambox. It is a Big Picture mode pc meant for the living room made by the company Xi3. What valve is creating is a huge difference. In my opinion Valve is trying something similar to Android. They are providing a platform, the store, and investing or allowing their platform to be on devices made by other companies. We'll see alot of "Big Picture" boxes in the near future, from good to better to best and Valve's version will be "best".

I suggest everyone to read the inteview between Gabe and The Verge. Here's the link: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

To sum it up, the steambox from Valve and the many big picture mode machines that are going to come out will be for all types of gamers, not necessarily ones that don't want to keep updating their PC.

Also developers will be moving to Steam like crazy since you are cutting out "used sales". All the money from used sales never get into the hands of the developers, and instead cut potential income from them since every person that bought a used copy could have been a potential sale. This is why sales can happen like they do on Steam. When the developers have a Steam sale they pretty much get all the customer's that would have been in the "used game" crowd.
Last edited by Saftle; Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:09pm
Marty Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:44pm 
How i am looking at the steam box is a way for PC gamers to have to listen to people who have no ♥♥♥♥ing lives at all and just spend their time playing Call of Duty and Maden/Fifa/NBA or what ever the ♥♥♥♥ console gamers play, we are going to go on CoD and hear "♥♥♥♥ you, you stupid mother ♥♥♥♥er, get the ♥♥♥♥ off CoD" because you died one time, i noteced people who play PC instead of Consoles are more... polite to other players when it comes to not doing so good in a match, im actual rather ♥♥♥♥ed off at Valve for making this product because of this reason, i understand the whole big picture idea, but it dosent need its own ♥♥♥♥ing console, this is just a way for Valve to make even more money than they alread have.
BDK Feb 14, 2013 @ 1:53pm 
It's baffling me as well. I for one could not care less about a steamstation that's for sure.
Tuggin on a wrench Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
I'm going to give my honest opinion here. I understand why they are making the "Steam Box." Mainly because of money, which is understanable. They are making it so socalled "Non-PC Gamers" have a chance to see what pc gaming is like at a low price. BUT! The reason PC gamers spend thousands of dollars on a nice gaming computer is becaus one they don't want to deal with ♥♥♥♥♥♥-♥♥♥ mommy whining consol gamers. Second (depending on how nice your specs are) pc gaming's proformance is SOOOOOO much better than consol gaming.

Now, If the "Steam Box" does go on the market then it probably won't atract gamers who are pretty much glued to there pressious Xbox 360. It will probably be the ones who need a small gaming rig at the palm of there hands. For instance Lan parties. But im not promoting the "Steam Box" in any way. Infact I would like to see one over heat once it comes out. But these are just my veiws not yours.

Thank you for you beloved time.

~Abakato
Valentine Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:11pm 
I just don't get it. You either have a console and are to much a fanboy to ever want it.

or you have a computer and never need to spend the money for something you already own.
patchill70 Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:16pm 
I don't see it being very successful...
Valentine Feb 14, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
Originally posted by patchill70:
I don't see it being very successful...

I want it to be. I think Valve is better for gaming then Sony, Xbox, Nintendo, EA's stupid origin garbage.

But i just don't know who's gonna buy it.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:50pm 
Originally posted by Abakato:
I'm going to give my honest opinion here. I understand why they are making the "Steam Box." Mainly because of money, which is understanable. They are making it so socalled "Non-PC Gamers" have a chance to see what pc gaming is like at a low price. BUT! The reason PC gamers spend thousands of dollars on a nice gaming computer is becaus one they don't want to deal with ♥♥♥♥♥♥-♥♥♥ mommy whining consol gamers.

That's strange, I personally built a pc for pc gaming because I saw how beneficial and cost effective a pc would be in the long run versus a console. PC already has a fair share of whiny children using it, ever been on a CSS server?!

The target audience are
- people with extremely crap gaming pc that are looking for an upgrade
- people with consoles looking to see what's so great about pc gaming.

If you're already on steam, and are currently playing the latest and greatest hits on your uber computers, you are not the target audience.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Feb 14, 2013 @ 8:54pm
Valentine Feb 14, 2013 @ 10:51pm 
Originally posted by The Rolling Cheese:
Originally posted by Abakato:
I'm going to give my honest opinion here. I understand why they are making the "Steam Box." Mainly because of money, which is understanable. They are making it so socalled "Non-PC Gamers" have a chance to see what pc gaming is like at a low price. BUT! The reason PC gamers spend thousands of dollars on a nice gaming computer is becaus one they don't want to deal with ♥♥♥♥♥♥-♥♥♥ mommy whining consol gamers.

That's strange, I personally built a pc for pc gaming because I saw how beneficial and cost effective a pc would be in the long run versus a console. PC already has a fair share of whiny children using it, ever been on a CSS server?!

The target audience are
- people with extremely crap gaming pc that are looking for an upgrade
- people with consoles looking to see what's so great about pc gaming.

If you're already on steam, and are currently playing the latest and greatest hits on your uber computers, you are not the target audience.

I feel like if your looking for an upgrade your not getting a steambox. Your smart enough to either buy a new PC or build it yourself.

The second one sounds more reasonable but still improbable.
Saftle Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:37am 
Did seriously no one read the interview between Gabe and the Verge or watch the DICE video with Gabe? You guys are talking about fanboyism etc being on console, but yet are unwilling to see the benefits in merging the two. Sounds like fanboyism to me.

Read up on the information that's already there rather than assuming. Speculate after reading all the official information rather than going durrrrrr I don't like it because I don't like console gamers.

Lastly, stop calling the Piston the steambox. We have no concrete information on Valve's Steambox whatsoever aside from The Verge's interview and the DICE presentation.

What you guys are talking about is nothing but a small form factor PC that has big picture mode that Valve invested money into which is being developed by a company called "Xi3".
Last edited by Saftle; Feb 15, 2013 @ 8:45am
Valentine Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:35pm 
Originally posted by Saftle:
Did seriously no one read the interview between Gabe and the Verge or watch the DICE video with Gabe? You guys are talking about fanboyism etc being on console, but yet are unwilling to see the benefits in merging the two. Sounds like fanboyism to me.

Read up on the information that's already there rather than assuming. Speculate after reading all the official information rather than going durrrrrr I don't like it because I don't like console gamers.

Lastly, stop calling the Piston the steambox. We have no concrete information on Valve's Steambox whatsoever aside from The Verge's interview and the DICE presentation.

What you guys are talking about is nothing but a small form factor PC that has big picture mode that Valve invested money into which is being developed by a company called "Xi3".

But merging the two is not cost effective to the client.
Just wait,Time change.. Feb 17, 2013 @ 6:07am 
Piston is a module, x13 alike with Alienware,some rumors saying Steam server station box streaming all exclusive digital product like Apps.

A free platform like Facebook and Google His own business concept not sharing profit with others, but we don't know exactly his business strategy. May be this project is gonna legendary.

Anyway, is not our business.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:46am