Tom the Giraffe Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:34am
Is this a spam mail?
I recently recieved a email from "Steam" telling me this:

Recent changes to your Steam account‏

Dear xxx,

This email message confirms that your Steam account contact email address has been successfully changed.
We are sending this notice to ensure the privacy and security of your Steam account. If you authorized this change, no further action is necessary. If you did not authorize this change, or if you need additional help with your account, please follow this link to the Steam Support site and submit a request for assistance:

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=197

Thanks for reviewing this information and helping us to maintain the privacy and security of your account.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com

xxx have been inserted by me. The thing is, its an old Steam account that I dont really use anymore, but I tried to login to it after I got this email and I couldnt.
I'm not really comfortable with pressing links I dont know, so I'm asking you: Does this seem like a spam email to you? I've emailed Steam Support, but they havent answered..
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
FrazerJC Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:35am 
It's legit.

Do not EMAIL support. Go through the Steam Support website and submit a Support Ticket. They will take 1-5 working days to respond.
jjb-54 Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:40am 
Seriously? 1 - 5 days ... I still have an OUTSTANDING TICKET that is 6 month old. STEAM still has not responded. *BLINKS* (yes I already figured it out)

But I do agree with you - NEVER respond to E-Mail "Security" questions - notices and such. Always go to the ON-LINE specific source and verify your account through the secured web-site.
Tom the Giraffe Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:45am 
I hear you, I'll use the support website the next time.

jjb > What do you mean with: Always go to the ON-LINE specific source and verify your account through the secured web-site.

Where do I do that?
FrazerJC Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:46am 
Originally posted by Bugs:
jjb > What do you mean with: Always go to the ON-LINE specific source and verify your account through the secured web-site.
He means Always use the Steam Support website.

Originally posted by Bugs:
I hear you, I'll use the support website the next time.
Next time? They won't reply to you if you don't use the support website because they do not read e-mails sent directly to them. If you want a response, use the support website THIS TIME.
aiusepsi Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:49am 
What he means is, go directly to the website, don't click any links in the email; if the email isn't from who it says it's from, the link may be fake and direct you to an illegitimate source (typically they make the link text and the actual URL different, for instance). In this case it looks legit (at least the clickable version here does).
SteventheSlayer Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:52am 
Sounds like your account got hijakked to me.
Killer Koala Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:33pm 
Follow that link in your original post and follow all the steps there to reclaim your hijacked account.
Quick!SaveTheChildren Feb 13, 2013 @ 12:36pm 
Even if it's an account you don't use anymore, I agree with the above in putting in a support request, so Steam knows what's going on.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 13, 2013 @ 10:34am