Jack Dandy Feb 6, 2013 @ 9:21am
Greenlight.. Is it for the best?
Look at the stuff that gets into Steam nowdays..
http://store.steampowered.com/app/229600/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/222980/

While tons of quality games are still stuck in the Greenlight limbo.
What gives? What makes valve accept these honestly terrible-looking games while forcing other devs to wait it out in Greenlight?
Awesome games like Recettear would never be discovered by so many people if it was stuck in Greenlight for months on end.

Did Valve ever explain what makes them accept certain games and leave others cold?
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
jjb-54 Feb 6, 2013 @ 9:43am 
The first one reminds me of Dear Esther - which I never got, even my 4 yr old granddaughter that is easily entertained - was bord by it. The 2nd one reminds me of my old Commodore 64 days ....
verycatchy Feb 6, 2013 @ 10:49am 
I thought greenlight was games that weren't accepted by valve, where all put into one place where the community decides which games can make it through (even though valve didn't pass them through their first time)

So valve still puts games out on the store, just the ones they don't get thrown into the greenlight section.

Correct me if that's wrong
Valannor Feb 6, 2013 @ 11:19am 
It is sad really. There are tons of awesome-looking games, especially platformers like Neighbours from Hell (loved that game as a kid!), Hogee, Pengame, Oozi, Gear Jack, A Walk in the Dark, Dusty Revenge (a Shank-alike 2D platformer) and so on and so on.
[ZuWh] Skyhi Feb 6, 2013 @ 12:38pm 
Originally posted by ezekel:
I thought greenlight was games that weren't accepted by valve, where all put into one place where the community decides which games can make it through (even though valve didn't pass them through their first time)

So valve still puts games out on the store, just the ones they don't get thrown into the greenlight section.

Greenlight is actually a way for independant developers to share their games and hopefully get them on Steam. I don't think it is games that are rejected, but just an easier way of getting games the community wants to play on Steam. It filters out games that just won't sell well, and gives games that don't have much of a Community backing to get exposure. I like it because it really comes down to letting the Developer know what works on Steam and what doesn't by letting the Steam Community Vote on what they want to play.
Last edited by [ZuWh] Skyhi; Feb 6, 2013 @ 12:38pm
verycatchy Feb 6, 2013 @ 4:06pm 
Originally posted by -MGR- shreddedbullet:
Originally posted by ezekel:

Greenlight is actually a way for independant developers to share their games and hopefully get them on Steam. I don't think it is games that are rejected, but just an easier way of getting games the community wants to play on Steam. It filters out games that just won't sell well, and gives games that don't have much of a Community backing to get exposure. I like it because it really comes down to letting the Developer know what works on Steam and what doesn't by letting the Steam Community Vote on what they want to play.

Well I'm not entirely sure on the matter, but I've seen tons of games get downvoted for pretty much no reason as well
Pay2Win Feb 6, 2013 @ 4:14pm 
Is the Crysis 3 Beta stuck in Greenlight? I know that it should be out already...
Entity Feb 6, 2013 @ 4:32pm 
I dislike the fact there is now the Greenlight Bundle available. Seems like a cheap way to get votes for any old ♥♥♥♥, just so people can get a key. These bundles don't leave me much hope for the right things to get selected.
Silv3r9 Feb 6, 2013 @ 5:37pm 
*sigh* The games that get the most community votes are greenlit - so obviously a large portion of the community has a different idea of what "quality games" are.

But we all know that old saying about opinions eh eh eh?

Also, for the dude over there *points* hating on the greenlight bundles...nobody is forcing you to buy it besides, you clearly do not understand the concept of marketing.
Power of Seven Feb 6, 2013 @ 5:57pm 
From what I've seen so far in this thread, the "arguments" against the games that are released on Steam come down to one of these points:

1) I don't like these kinds of games and therefore nobody should like them.

2) Indie developers should quit trying to come up with original ideas because I don't like change.
Pay2Win Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
Originally posted by Power of Seven:
From what I've seen so far in this thread, the "arguments" against the games that are released on Steam come down to one of these points:

2) Indie developers should quit trying to come up with original ideas because I don't like change.

Are you implying that the concept of "low/poor quality" does not exist?
Last edited by Pay2Win; Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:06pm
Gus the Crocodile Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:26pm 
Originally posted by :
Originally posted by Power of Seven:

Are you implying that the concept of "low/poor quality" does not exist?
The concept exists, it's just subjective. As an objective, measurable attribute, no, of course it doesn't exist.
Pay2Win Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:41pm 
Subjectivity must be turned into objectivity when necessary. If 50 out of 4000 people like a game, I would say it's safe to objectively consider that game as "unlikeable". It will hurt 50, but it will save the rest of society. Life is tough. Criteria must be met.
Gus the Crocodile Feb 6, 2013 @ 6:46pm 
Must? Or else what, people will have to think for themselves instead of looking to some centralised aggregate to tell them what to do? How terrible.
Pay2Win Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:14pm 
If you're one of the 3950 who did not like that game, you'd be thankful that an objective scale saved you time and money. A tool is useful only when used properly. When something is necessary, it must be done.
Gus the Crocodile Feb 6, 2013 @ 7:35pm 
Look, any time you want to start engaging in an actual discussion, I'm happy to continue. "My ideas are necessary, because they must be done, because they're necessary" is infantile and pretty boring.

To catch you up, I asked a question to try and get some kind of reasoned understanding happening - "Or else what?". Take it or leave it.
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 6, 2013 @ 9:21am