<YES>Cambo gt6 Feb 4, 2013 @ 2:14am
Steam secrurity
My buddy has a steam account his old email got spammed and he deleted the email account he then formatted and re-downloaded steam to find out they added a email verification thing in and now has lost his game's the support forms are stupid they ask for proof of purchase but he got his game as gifts no phone number to talk with you ripping off ♥♥♥♥ers or nothing the same almost happend to me but i remeberd to change my email so i was lucky i've got over 26 games on steam untill u change your ways steam im done with ya i aint buying another digital copy again the sole reason i buy digi copys is so the disks dont get lost or damaged but if u change things and dont inform people then they lose they're game then u are stealing from them take note any one, these fukkers are ripping people off with this ♥♥♥♥ they should inform u if the security has changed not just change it well u aint getting my money any more if he dont get his games back
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Tito Christmas Feb 4, 2013 @ 2:42am 
Proof of purchase is a needed request for support to verify the person requesting the account is indeed the account owner.

Owning not even one purchased/retail game is not a common occurrence. Your friend will have to sort out the situation with support.
K.A.R.R. Feb 4, 2013 @ 4:26am 
but if u change things and dont inform people then they lose they're game then u are stealing from them

Apart from the postings in the steam news section for WEEKS before it was turned on.. how did you want Valve to inform him..? By email? The email he deleted?

As Tito says, *HE* needs to contact support and explain the situation, if they were gifts it's possible he can get the card information to prove ownership, etc.
Bikes Feb 4, 2013 @ 5:32am 
Unless he hasn't used steam in months he really should of been aware of this. Also why delete the email when you have accounts connected to it in the first place? Just leave it unused, deleting has no benefit and can lead to stuff like this very situation.
Hyatice Feb 4, 2013 @ 5:53pm 
Not supporting his logic, but I had a Yahoo account that continuously got hacked (Even after getting a brand new computer, so definitely no keyloggers) and even when switching from a 9-digit Cap/Lower/Num pass to a 27-digit alphanumeric/symbol password. Kept sending spam to my contacts list... So I transferred all of my accounts off that email and deleted it.
Satoru Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:04pm 
Originally posted by -Δ- Hyatice:
Not supporting his logic, but I had a Yahoo account that continuously got hacked (Even after getting a brand new computer, so definitely no keyloggers) and even when switching from a 9-digit Cap/Lower/Num pass to a 27-digit alphanumeric/symbol password. Kept sending spam to my contacts list... So I transferred all of my accounts off that email and deleted it.

Generally speaking that happens because people's 'security questions' are utterly worthless. If youd on't change those, you can change the passwords till the cows come home. But I can still keep hijacking your account because I know your mother's maiden name because you've used the SAME ONE everywhere on the internet. Make sure your security questions are actually the OPPOSITE of what they're supposed to be. Mother's Maiden Name? Lord Zenu! First car? Starship Enterprise.

If your account is compromised you have to change EVERYTHING. including the security questions.
Last edited by Satoru; Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:06pm
ChrisW Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:37pm 
Originally posted by Cpl Cameron 1MSOB:
My buddy has a steam account his old email got spammed and he deleted the email account he then formatted and re-downloaded steam to find out they added a email verification thing in and now has lost his game's the support forms are stupid they ask for proof of purchase but he got his game as gifts no phone number to talk with you ripping off ♥♥♥♥ers or nothing the same almost happend to me but i remeberd to change my email so i was lucky i've got over 26 games on steam untill u change your ways steam im done with ya i aint buying another digital copy again the sole reason i buy digi copys is so the disks dont get lost or damaged but if u change things and dont inform people then they lose they're game then u are stealing from them take note any one, these fukkers are ripping people off with this ♥♥♥♥ they should inform u if the security has changed not just change it well u aint getting my money any more if he dont get his games back
Please form your thoughts into sentences. Nobody wants to read that jumbled mess of random thoughts.
Last edited by ChrisW; Feb 4, 2013 @ 6:37pm
<YES>Cambo gt6 Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:24pm 
ChrisW I'll not take the time for this as steam know what they are doing if u forget the login deatails for an email and they send out the verification to that email and you have no means apart from that to get back into your steam well in my opinion its forcing you to rebuy lost game this big a company and there is no means of contact other than email steam GET YOUR ♥♥♥♥ TOGETHER AT LEAST GET A HELP LINE UP
Satoru Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:46pm 
Originally posted by Cpl Cameron 1MSOB:
ChrisW I'll not take the time for this as steam know what they are doing if u forget the login deatails for an email and they send out the verification to that email and you have no means apart from that to get back into your steam well in my opinion its forcing you to rebuy lost game this big a company and there is no means of contact other than email steam GET YOUR ♥♥♥♥ TOGETHER AT LEAST GET A HELP LINE UP

They are not 'forcing you to rebuy your games'.

1) Create a NEW support account

https://support.steampowered.com/register.php

2) Prove ownership via serveral methodologies

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-QDFN-4366

Again account security and maintenance is the responsibility of the owner. You can change your email in the steam client without access to the old email, specifically to address issues where users may lose access to their previous email accounts for some reason. Don't blame Steam because your friend cannot maintain their account properly. Steam requires proof of ownership on the account, which is again absolutely normal. Would you want some random person to be able to take control of your account? How do you propose someone prove that the account is theirs? I could just as easily say that about your account and hijack it if necessary if that's the bar.

None of your friends have been offline longer than 18 days. Which has been literally over 1 year since SteamGuard was enabled.

If you're not willing to secure and take responsibility for your own account. Steam isn't going to do that for you. And neither will any other service.
Last edited by Satoru; Feb 4, 2013 @ 9:53pm
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 4, 2013 @ 10:03pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Again account security and maintenance is the responsibility of the owner.

So many people seem to forget that simple fact. A Steam account is investment. Treat it like an investment. Don't mismanage it and these problems WILL NOT OCCUR.

In eight years, over $3500 in game purchases, and four different email accounts, I've lost access to my account ONCE during a household move. I provided Steam Support with proof of ownership and they updated my account in less than two days.

Tell your friend to stop treating their Steam account like some free email account and things will get better.

<YES>Cambo gt6 Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:00pm 
I'm sure if this happend to any of you steam lovers you would be in the same boat as me I dont care what you guys think as you love steam this was put on for those who may had the same issue I'm fine as I am good with comps and managed to get both my MSN email back and also my steam account back.I'll be doing a video on youtube tell other's to watch out for this scam.

You guy's that says they send you out an email tell me how is my buddy ment to know they have added new security when his old email is blocked makes no sense anyways I'm done trying to convice you guy's are you all loved up with this POS company that dont even have a contact number NO ONE THESE DAYS DOSE THIS THIS SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT STEAM.

All I have to say.
Silicon Vampire Feb 5, 2013 @ 4:17pm 
I'm sorry but he forums can't help with account issues. Especially those issues brought here by someone other than the account owner.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 4, 2013 @ 2:14am