Quick!SaveTheChildren Jan 30, 2013 @ 1:54pm
German Consumer Protection Centre goes after Valve
Saw this on the steamgifts.com forum[www.steamgifts.com]:
Originally posted by Infernotoni:
Again, the good old German Consumer Protection Centre ("Verbraucherschutzzentrale") sues Valve. Last time they got Valve to change their update system to a system, that makes you not longer lose your access to your Steam account, if you don't agree to the ToS-changes.
This time they sue Valve because we all are not allowed to resell our games/licences. The European Court of Justice decided a while ago, that it should be possible to resell your software.

So what will happen (in about 100 years, after countless revisions/appeals)?

He references a German article translated with Google here . I have no idea about the reliability of that article.

Do you think this will change Steam in any way?
Last edited by Quick!SaveTheChildren; Jan 30, 2013 @ 1:56pm
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Tito Shivan Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:00pm 
As far as i remember, all this was about the clause of the SSA that makes deleting or stop using the account (therefore losing the access to your games) the only way of not accepting a SSA change.
These things go really slow. And it may only mean changes just for German consumers...

In any case i'll wait to see it posted on some english-speaking site, since my german is doubleplusungood and Google translate from german is usually quite horrid for anything beyond a couple sentences.
tmwfte Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:10pm 
It's predicated on the same ruling on Oracle from the ECJ that likely doesn't apply in any other licensing situation. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but saying that anything will change is mere supposition.
Satoru Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:54pm 
I like how the poster in SG says that organization "got steam to Change the ssa" when in fact the SSA has not changed an does not include the supposed provision that they "sued" for originally which was the termination of your account if you dont agree to the ssa.

Aka this organization is full of bunk
Last edited by Satoru; Jan 30, 2013 @ 2:54pm
ChrisW Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:08pm 
Originally posted by Quick!SaveTheChildren:
Saw this on the steamgifts.com forum[www.steamgifts.com]:
Originally posted by Infernotoni:
Last time they got Valve to change their update system to a system, that makes you not longer lose your access to your Steam account, if you don't agree to the ToS-changes.
Where did they come up with that? The SSA still states you have to accept the SSA or lose access to your account.

EDIT: Oops, looks like Satoru ninja'd me again.
Last edited by ChrisW; Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:10pm
Quick!SaveTheChildren Jan 30, 2013 @ 3:16pm 
Hm, the guy's post did seem a little off when he mentioned Steam being forced to alter their TOS. I'm glad I got some feedback from you guys.
Satoru Jan 30, 2013 @ 5:11pm 
Also just to clarify this is not some kind of government organization. IT's simply some kind of advocacy group. They 'claim' they will sue people but they never actually seem to do it. Basically it's just a lot of fluff but no bite.
Originally posted by Satoru:
Also just to clarify this is not some kind of government organization. IT's simply some kind of advocacy group. They 'claim' they will sue people but they never actually seem to do it. Basically it's just a lot of fluff but no bite.

You mean bark but no bite :D?
Last edited by ­­­­­­Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Jan 30, 2013 @ 5:20pm
Satoru Jan 30, 2013 @ 5:33pm 
Eh I blame my phone's auto complete feature! Yeah that's it.... :P
Just wait,Time change.. Feb 19, 2013 @ 5:57pm 
It is not a joke,German government(Minister Consumer Protection) and there is Parlament Europe Union in Brussel.This is a hard nuts, how to handle between digital & physically products

Principles.You buy and pay it and you can do it what you want and sell in secondhand shop.
My properties, it is my right to trade by ( Ebay)auktionplatform:
Pete Feb 19, 2013 @ 6:25pm 
If you live in a member state of the EU, you can now sell the license of games on. This is a Court ruling and is legal, but only in the EU as far as I know. Whether it will work or not is another matter. :) The EU churns out these new rulings on a daily basis and most of them get ignored, or challenged in one way or another, so that they become long drawn out affairs wasting tax payers money.

The EU is powerful though...it sent Bill Gates home with a bloodied nose.
Last edited by Pete; Feb 19, 2013 @ 6:30pm
Spawn of Totoro Feb 19, 2013 @ 7:23pm 
Originally posted by arniesan:
If you live in a member state of the EU, you can now sell the license of games on. This is a Court ruling and is legal, but only in the EU as far as I know. Whether it will work or not is another matter. :) The EU churns out these new rulings on a daily basis and most of them get ignored, or challenged in one way or another, so that they become long drawn out affairs wasting tax payers money.

No, it is not. Try it. You won't be able to.

The Oracle was for a specific kind of agreement with the software. An unlimited license. Steam's is a limited license. Steam also changed their SSA to be in-line with EU law.

Untill you show me a successful transfer of a Steam license, then the SSA still holds and you can not sell or transfer any game in your Library.
Mivo Feb 19, 2013 @ 11:24pm 
Originally posted by ChrisW:
Where did they come up with that? The SSA still states you have to accept the SSA or lose access to your account.

Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't been prompted to agree to any changes in quite a long time. (I'm in Germany.) Was this recently required or has it just been the same for everyone?
Just wait,Time change.. Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:13am 
When theres no another agreement between two parties, therefore, no more expensive retail version will be purchase in EU countries.

Law in every countries, Objects or goods can be buy and sell...is a business!
By digital media is another new case of business. Consumer's wishes free and democracy, not to be dictated like a Dictator Government.

P.S. Every government of each countries protect his population citizens for law and order.
Pheace [MCT] Feb 20, 2013 @ 5:41am 
Originally posted by arniesan:

The generality of this statement is nonsense. That court ruling was quite specific to the case it was referring to, and was talking about a form of license you don't have with Steam, so it doesn't even apply.

Everyone is taking that court ruling and making it out like 'Court said we can trade our games!'. No they didn't. It may be a groundwork for more court rulings that actually apply to the style of licenses we have here later.
Spawn of Totoro Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:28am 
Originally posted by Mivo:
Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't been prompted to agree to any changes in quite a long time. (I'm in Germany.) Was this recently required or has it just been the same for everyone?

It happened after the Oracle case. You agree to the SSA every time you buy a game too, so, unless you haven't bought a game in years, you have agreed to it.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Feb 20, 2013 @ 6:28am
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30, 2013 @ 1:54pm