Soral42 Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:56pm
Give me reason to buy
Why should I buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 for $80 on Steam when I can buy it for $30 in a store? Why should I but Call of Duty Modern Warefare 3 for $90 on Steam when I can buy it for $40 in a store? Why should I buy Darkspore for $40 on Steam when I can buy it for $20 from Origin? Why should I pay $60 for Dragon Age 2 when Origin sell it for $20? Or when it's in the bargain bin for $10 in stores?

I could continue down my wishlist, but you get the point. Steam sales approximate real world prices, at least in Australia.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Mivo Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:03pm 
Why don't you buy them at a store, then? Different places charge different prices.

Also, Dragon Age 2 isn't available on Steam anymore (at least in EU and NA), and when it was still offered, it cost the same as everywhere else (I bought it).

EA also has a vested interest in not discounting their games (the ones still sold on Steam) here, but only at Origin, or versions that require Origin.

Finally, Steam is not the publisher of those games and therefore cannot just lower the price. You are barking at the wrong tree.
Scrumdiddlyumptious Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:16pm 
So you find cheaper prices, buy them there then. Nothing but your whining is stopping you from making a decent decisions. You're not forced to buy them here, you have no right to complain.
[dirrty]gsharp Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
First, you live in Australia, so comparing your prices with the rest of the world isn't really fair. Everybody else knows Aussies get the shaft when it comes to PC game prices.

Second, buying from Steam usually provides near instant gratification. Getting a new game now -- without having to deal with the mouth-breathers at a store, traffic, parking, standing in line, and taking the chance that the game disc is actually in the box.

Plus, there's a chance that you have a metered Internet plan -- meaning you are charged for how much data you download, which negates a big Steam advantage.

In your case, mate, I'd say buy them in the store. However, there is still a chance that they might activate using Steam -- which means you'll be back here crying about that. LOL

tmwfte Jan 27, 2013 @ 1:40pm 
Publishers set the prices for digital downloads. If you want change, complain to the publishers.
Wombat of the D'ni Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:17pm 
Wait for sales.... get everything you want during the Summer, Halloween, Autumn, AND Winter Sales...
Soral42 Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:39pm 
I like having a single launch and update program (Steam) but I don't like the price fixing.

@Scaena, the customer always has the right to complain against unfair practice whether it be governments or business or your neighbour.

@[dirty[gsharp], Aussies do get a raw deal but the prices I quoted were all prices in Australian stores in my suburb. There is a sort of gratification from shopping around to get the best deal, even if you do end up back at the PC using Steam.

@tmwfte, I can also complain to the department of fair trade. For a publisher to set a price 4x higher on other distribution platforms is anticompetitive. It's a rather extreme measure and I will be going to publishers instead, but it is an option.

I'm the sort of person who can walk around and have a look at all the options before buying, even if that means waiting 6 months for the next sales (or the bargain bin). But it is still unfair that I can often buy a box with DVDs, manual, stickers, maps, etc plus costs of production and delivery for 3x more than a digital download.
tmwfte Jan 27, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Originally posted by Soral42:
@tmwfte, I can also complain to the department of fair trade. For a publisher to set a price 4x higher on other distribution platforms is anticompetitive. It's a rather extreme measure and I will be going to publishers instead, but it is an option.

Knock yourself out. There's also a vast difference between physical retail product and a digital download. When it comes to the physical product, the retailer has already purchased that product, and is free to then basically price it at whatever they want. You're technically paying for a "different" product when you try to compare physical vs. digital.

EDIT: I should add that if Electronic Arts currently aren't matching initial physical release prices on Origin, you may only successfully be getting yourself stuck paying higher prices there as well. It happened with GOG and their release of The Witcher.
Last edited by tmwfte; Jan 27, 2013 @ 3:00pm
Mivo Jan 27, 2013 @ 3:09pm 
But it is still unfair that I can often buy a box with DVDs, manual, stickers, maps, etc plus costs of production and delivery for 3x more than a digital download.

It would be unfair and legally relevant if you could NOT buy the more inexpensive boxes or were otherwise prohibited from buying at the cheapest places. This is, however, not the case. You are complaining that you cannot get the cheapest prices from a specific vendor, even though you do have other options. This is not a matter for the trade commission.

"I want my games on Steam" is legally irrelevant and not a matter of "fair trade". If anyone could approach this issue then it would be the *vendor* who cannot sell the same product as cheaply as other vendors. Valve is however not doing this, so there is probably no sound legal basis for it. If they tried, publishers probably would (and certainly could) pull their games.

Selling stuff at a loss is also a valid strategy to increase one's market share. Amazon did this with the Kindle originally in order to break into the e-reader market. They sold the hardware below production costs. Various online distributors have done the same, like GMG and more recently GamersGate.

Plus, publishers don't have to sell their games at specific stores or platforms. See Blizzard. They don't offer their games on Steam at all. And EA stopped selling their new blockbuster games on Steam as well, and they require Origin. (Just like Valve's stuff requires Steam.)
Tito Christmas Jan 27, 2013 @ 3:57pm 
For the price difference between Digital platforms and Retail, one can put a fair ammount of blame on retailers themselves.
Retailers are a bigger source of pressure to publishers than one could imagine. It's not the first time they manage to get a DD release delayed, or make it quite different priced, to get the upper hand the first weeks after a game release.
That's why some newly released titles can sometimes be found for cheaper on retail than on Digital platforms like Steam.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 27, 2013 @ 12:56pm