11.11.11 Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:58pm
Steam Client Automatically Tagging Players in Team Fortress 2 Screenshots.
Only a few minutes ago I was alerted to this new function, and thoroughly disturbed by it. For a while now, screenshots taken via steam's screenshot tool have been labelled with the map the server was running at the time of capture. I beleive I am correct in saying that only official valve maps were recognised.

But earlier today, someone posted a screenshot that included me somewhere in the image, and I promptly received an alert on my community homepage, telling me that this unknown person had posted a screenshot that had been tagged with my username.

I don't know if I'm the only person who missed the memo, but when on earth was this function added? Where did I sign saying I was happy for steam to automatically profile images and link them back to players profiles? Because this is not a function that I think we need.

And I thought linking steam accounts to facebook accounts was a bad idea. Now it seems Valve is intent on making steam INTO facebook.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Tsundere Kanojo Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:09am 
This has been a feature for while now, not sure on the exact date, but it wasn't exactly a recent feature.

Anyways, whats the worst that could happen to you because of that?
FrazerJC Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:37am 
Originally posted by 11.11.11:
But earlier today, someone posted a screenshot that included me somewhere in the image, and I promptly received an alert on my community homepage, telling me that this unknown person had posted a screenshot that had been tagged with my username.
[...]
And I thought linking steam accounts to facebook accounts was a bad idea. Now it seems Valve is intent on making steam INTO facebook.
Funny thing is is that I've seen lots of suggestions over the past year or so for people to receive a notification when a screenshot of them has been posted to community. :)
Last edited by FrazerJC; Jan 25, 2013 @ 12:37am
11.11.11 Jan 25, 2013 @ 4:54am 
I suppose it's not a horific feature - but I am rather irritated that there wasn't any clear notification of this feature when it was added. Sure, getting tagged isn't likely to have any very negative consequences directly - but it is yet another case of steam recording our personal information for - what gain? What purpose does it serve for screenshots to automatically be analysed and linked to the profiles of the players in them? I mean that takes serious recognition software to acheive, so why is Valve so driven to capture this data? That's what really worries me.
FrazerJC Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:07am 
I don't understand how an online visual representation in TF2 or CS:GO could be considered to be "personal information"?

Many people wanted to see their impact on screenshots (Maybe someone uploaded a funny ragdoll of their TF2 character, for example). That's the purpose of it.

(As an extra note, the Steam Subscriber Agreement does say that such data shouldn't be considered private at all, nor should anything you say over Steam Chat be considered that way, either).
Last edited by FrazerJC; Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:07am
aiusepsi Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:13am 
It doesn't take serious recognition software at all. TF2 just tells Steam what players were in frame when the shot was taken. It's information which is trivially available to TF2.
11.11.11 Jan 25, 2013 @ 5:22pm 
Thankyou for that clarification.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:58pm