Mr_Benn Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:57am
Thanks for Linux!
I'm so glad that Valve have released a verion of Steam for Linux. I don't use Linux, but it carries on like this I might be tempted to try it alongside Windows, especially now that Windows has been kneecapped in its latest version.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Zombie_Ronsn Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:00am 
i am no Threadnapper so far, but i must say here and now: A BIG THANK TO VALVE FOR THE LINUX SUPPORT!!! I love it! Please more Games for this humanity System. Guys, i'm so lucky. At this evening, i will play some Games on Ubuntu, powered by Steam. Jiiiiihah!
Vitdom Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:04am 
Finally Windows has an active competitor concerning games on platforms. Hopefully Microsoft will make Windows free (as in freedom) now, so we can include parts in Linux. It's the only way for them(their long-term reputation) to survive now, because it's a shame to see a once good OS developer just die out because they stick to old closed proprietary habits.
Last edited by Vitdom; Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:09am
Thalic Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:19pm 
Thanks Valve, I really appreciate making Steam available for Linux ^_^
It runs great on my Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit system.
aldariz Feb 16, 2013 @ 4:24am 
i am glad to see that valve is serious about gaming on linux. someone is finally taking the first serious steps into this long-ignored realm. its really surreal actually - valve pushing linux as a gaming platform... makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

big props to gabe and to valve's linux team. i wish you best of luck. i hope your efforts will result in native linux ports of games being a common occurance eventually.
Just wait,Time change.. Feb 16, 2013 @ 2:38pm 
For many features like Apps, mobile gaming,digital streaming 3D or HD.
Do you think Linux is compatible with this features? How about Apple is not the better choice?

The new project is not only as gaming platform The new Valve's project is gonna legendary,.
For Linux is long way to reach the goal of success.The investment is very expensive and how many percent Linux consumer's and I think is a bad concept for business competition against Sony and Co.
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 16, 2013 @ 3:38pm 
Originally posted by Just wait,Time change..:
For many features like Apps, mobile gaming,digital streaming 3D or HD.
Do you think Linux is compatible with this features? How about Apple is not the better choice?

The new project is not only as gaming platform The new Valve's project is gonna legendary,.
For Linux is long way to reach the goal of success.The investment is very expensive and how many percent Linux consumer's and I think is a bad concept for business competition against Sony and Co.

Try again please. Your post makes no sense.
Mivo Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:35pm 
Originally posted by Vitdom:
Finally Windows has an active competitor concerning games on platforms.

A Linux market share of about 1% in 2012 (less than Macs) doesn't really make it competitive. Valve offers a sales platform for Linux games, but the vast majority of games do not run natively in Linux, and I don't see any actual interest from large publishers.

Valve probably (and correctly) identified the Windows store in W8 as a potential future threat, and this is the reaction. It makes sense, and I do hope it is successful. When I grew up, in my teens, there was no one computer gaming platform, but many (Spectrum, Atari, Commodore C64/Amiga, etc), and that led to innovation. There were downsides too, but it would be different now since different OSes can run on the same hardware (vs. the OS tied directly to the hardware, like in the eighties).
[dirrty]gsharp Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Originally posted by Mivo:
Originally posted by Vitdom:
Finally Windows has an active competitor concerning games on platforms.

A Linux market share of about 1% in 2012 (less than Macs) doesn't really make it competitive. Valve offers a sales platform for Linux games, but the vast majority of games do not run natively in Linux, and I don't see any actual interest from large publishers...yet

Fixed that for you. :P

90+ games isn't even a blip on the overall PC gaming scheme. I'll grant you that. It's a damned fine start for a project that started, what, a year ago?

Paradox Interactive stuck their toe in the Linux pool with Crusader Kings II. They aren't an EA or Activision but they aren't some small indie shop either. Who knows what is happening behind the scenes. It's going to be fun to watch.

(yes, I'm a Linux user but still keep a Windows rig for gaming)
Mivo Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:54pm 
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
Fixed that for you. :P

Fair enough. :)

Linux did have a time like this before, some ten+ years ago when iD software took great interest in Linux, and when some company (that went out of business) ported a lot of games over, but this movement sort of fizzled out. This was before Ubuntu, though, which admittedly attracts the end user type of people (I think Ubuntu is bloated and tries too hard to be like Windows, but I give it that it does a lot for making Linux accessible to the masses).

I think the best promotion for Linux is Windows 8 and Microsoft's attempts to monopolize the software market even more. Publishers may realize that this isn't really in their interest. Bit like when Vista was so horrible that Ubuntu suddenly experienced a huge influx of new users.

Personally, I'm sort of multi-platform. For work and gaming I use and need Windows (I actually like Windows 7), for fun stuff and mental fitness I use ArchLinux, and I am surprisingly fond of iOS, though that is also a bit work-related (I localize iOS games, part-time). I'd probably have a Mac sitting around too if I didn't feel that between Windows, Linux and the tablet I have no actual need for it.
Last edited by Mivo; Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:59pm
초 Zach Feb 16, 2013 @ 5:58pm 
I love Valve even more for bringing Steam to Linux. I'm typing this on Linux.:)
Edgar Allan Pro Feb 16, 2013 @ 7:55pm 
I would go Linux, but im just so used to EXE and most of my games are for PC only. Cool deal anyway steam. :)
Just wait,Time change.. Feb 18, 2013 @ 2:33am 
Ahhh...Command..Executable,DOS proggi and so on. What are you expecting?
Picchia Feb 18, 2013 @ 6:44am 
Same. I don't use Linux but I do hope it one day becomes a viable gaming platform, so I can use it as well. This is a great step towards that goal.
aldariz Feb 18, 2013 @ 7:59am 
So I just spent 2 days resizing and moving my hdd partitions, replacing my windows bootloader with grub, realizing I've broken the windows bootsector, fixing it, messing with grub again, installing the proprietary graphics driver which totally murdered unity, removing the borked driver and going back to the crappy default one using nothing but the terminal, instaling the proper driver, and various other shenanigans involving copious amounts of terminal usage...
...and I've been enjoying every second of it. I want to learn more. I want to delve deeper.

Came for a TF2 item, stayed for the OS.
Last edited by aldariz; Feb 18, 2013 @ 8:29am
WarPigeon Feb 20, 2013 @ 7:49am 
Originally posted by aldariz:
So I just spent 2 days resizing and moving my hdd partitions, replacing my windows bootloader with grub, realizing I've broken the windows bootsector, fixing it, messing with grub again, installing the proprietary graphics driver which totally murdered unity, removing the borked driver and going back to the crappy default one using nothing but the terminal, instaling the proper driver, and various other shenanigans involving copious amounts of terminal usage...
...and I've been enjoying every second of it. I want to learn more. I want to delve deeper.

Came for a TF2 item, stayed for the OS.

How did you remove the borked driver using the terminal? I'm currently having the same problem.
Last edited by WarPigeon; Feb 20, 2013 @ 7:50am
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:57am