Pricing of Steam Games
Why are some Steam Games $10 less than console games? I am sorry if this is an obvious question. To add to this this why are some Steam games $59.99, the full price of console games? Thanks for clarifying!
< >
Visar 1-15 av 17 kommentarer
Purple Tentacle 21 jan, 2013 @ 12:43 
because thats the price the publisher set
dirrtymartini 21 jan, 2013 @ 12:51 
Everybody and their mother has a say in how a game is priced. Game prices can vary by publisher, by retailer, by city, by region, by country, by delivery method, by platform, and even by day of the week.

Most of the $59.99 games are from the "top tier" publishers like Activision, Ubisoft, etc. Activision, in particular, thinks that discounting a triple A title, like Call of Duty:MW3, actually hurts their franchise so they keep the high price as long as possible.

The triple A console titles are priced high because publishers can get away with it...and because people are buying games at that price.

Dreakon13 21 jan, 2013 @ 14:14 
Without being able to ask Valve or the publishers directly, my guess would be supply and demand.

Some games are as popular on PC as they are console... at least comparatively to the size of the communities... and get sold at full price. If people are buying them, you can't blame them for not selling the games cheaper.

Others don't sell as well on PC (put whatever reason you want... piracy, poor marketing, lousy porting job, intrusive DRM, random chance, etc)... so the developers take the price down a little in hopes of selling more copies.
And also, you got think of some games, like skyrim, Fallout etc, are all games capable of being modded to hel and back again. So, say Skyrim (this is just hypothetical), was 20$ for console and 50+ on steam, well think about all the ♥♥♥♥ that you can do for the game on your pc. Basically you can put so much mods into one game via pc than you could possibly dream with a console.
Dreakon13 21 jan, 2013 @ 15:47 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Frodo Firehawk(Mac):
And also, you got think of some games, like skyrim, Fallout etc, are all games capable of being modded to hel and back again. So, say Skyrim (this is just hypothetical), was 20$ for console and 50+ on steam, well think about all the ♥♥♥♥ that you can do for the game on your pc. Basically you can put so much mods into one game via pc than you could possibly dream with a console.
As much as we all love mods, I don't think that really happens.

The publisher wouldn't price a game so differently for the PC for something as unreliable as user-generated content. They may support mods and even go to lengths to make modders lives easier, but I'd be surprised if it was recognized by the publisher/developers as an official feature of the game. Especially one that would drive its price up.
Senast ändrad av Dreakon13; 21 jan, 2013 @ 15:48
dirrtymartini 21 jan, 2013 @ 16:02 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Dreakon:
The publisher wouldn't price a game so differently for the PC for something as unreliable as user-generated content. They may support mods and even go to lengths to make modders lives easier, but I'd be surprised if it was recognized by the publisher/developers as an official feature of the game. Especially one that would drive its price up.

I was all set to agree...but adding this "feature" would give publishers another chance to raise the price of a triple A game. It's a win / win for them. They garner praise for bundling and supporting user mods PLUS they make even more money on their games. If the mods are awful, they can blame the user community.

Somebody delete this thread before Bob^H^H^H a certain Activison CEO sees it.
Satoru 21 jan, 2013 @ 16:52 
"generally" speaking the $10 difference between PC and console games covers the royalty costs for pressing the disc in whatever format is required for said platform. Obviously PC have so such royalties (since pressing a DVD costs about 1 cent) so "sometimes" such savings is passed on .
Senast ändrad av Satoru; 21 jan, 2013 @ 19:07
Squidtech 21 jan, 2013 @ 18:43 
The $10 difference is the royalties that Sony and Microsoft take when a game is licensed for their platform.
Satoru 21 jan, 2013 @ 19:08 
Also please note

PUBLISHERS SET PRICING

And if you STILL think Valve has some kind of say in the pricing

http://games.on.net/2012/12/green-man-gaming-blames-price-hike-for-bl2-and-xcom-on-2k-games/

They dont
Aldaron 21 jan, 2013 @ 19:16 
Brick-and-mortar stores like Gamestop have also publicly said that if publishers begin massively undercutting them through digital distribution platforms then they will stop carrying the publisher's games.

Cheaper games on digital platforms cut into their retail game sales and it completely removes the massive profit they get from used games sales.
Senast ändrad av Aldaron; 21 jan, 2013 @ 19:23
Satoru 21 jan, 2013 @ 19:28 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Aldaron:
Brick-and-mortar stores like Gamestop have also publicly said that if publishers begin massively undercutting them through digital distribution platforms then they will stop carrying the publisher's games.

Cheaper games on digital platforms cut into their retail game sales and it completely removes the massive profit they get from used games sales.

This is true. Publishers need to fight for retail shelf space and POP space in places like Gamestop and Walmart. Make them angry and you can be assured that Call of Duty 11 will be at the front of the store on massive pallets with huge life sized posters. While BattleField 10 will be at the back of the store on an end-cap above eye level in a disused lavatory with a sign that says "Beware the leopard". Walmart does this ALL the time. Which is why companies like P&G will bend over backwards whenever Walmart wants literally anything.
ChrisW 22 jan, 2013 @ 14:41 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Satoru:
And if you STILL think Valve has some kind of say in the pricing

http://games.on.net/2012/12/green-man-gaming-blames-price-hike-for-bl2-and-xcom-on-2k-games/

They dont
Nice find. That is another example that proves the publisher sets the price on digital stores. When you combine it with this:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/why-does-the-witcher-2-cost-more-in-australia/
this also proves the price increase in countries like Australia are caused by contracts with retail publishers.
Dutchgamer1982 22 jan, 2013 @ 23:30 
What I did notice is that many pc games in retail store.. are priced down BEFORE they are priced down in steam.

for example I can buy a morrowind complete version for 4,99 at free record shop.
it's 19.99 in steam.

and so on..

where for new titles.. steam usually is a few euro's cheaper..
dirrtymartini 22 jan, 2013 @ 23:35 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Dutchgamer1982:
What I did notice is that many pc games in retail store.. are priced down BEFORE they are priced down in steam.

for example I can buy a morrowind complete version for 4,99 at free record shop.
it's 19.99 in steam.

and so on..

where for new titles.. steam usually is a few euro's cheaper..

While European game stores might be all nice, clean, and staffed with employees who can carry on a conversation, the ones in the U.S. generally are not. I'll gladly pay a few dollars more to avoid the "extended warranty" questions, the "would you like to sign up for our credit card?" questions, "would you like a free trial subscription to some crappy magazine" questions and the shady business practices like reapplying shrinkwrap to games that are returned and selling them as brand new.

Even Origi^H^H^H that OTHER PC game client is better than most store experiences.
Jazza1198 22 jan, 2013 @ 23:55 
well i think that steam should reduce the prices of the old games and when people start buying the old games alot increase the price
< >
Visar 1-15 av 17 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 21 jan, 2013 @ 12:34