Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Dec 29, 2012 @ 8:52pm
Ripping off the Aussies much?
So yes I live in Australia. A friend notified me that the Valve Publisher pack was on sale, and since I love Half Life and Portal and such, I wanted to buy it. That's when I noticed the option wasn't there, instead all that was there was a little message saying "We're sorry. This game is not avilable in your region." I was confused and soon found another one of these messages, this time it was the Left 4 Dead Franchise and then I understood why. L4D2 had to be consored to be sold here, the game in that pack is the normal version. But instead of letting us buy our version of Left 4 Dead 2, they've just disabled the whole pack. So I'm using a Valve Client, but I can't but your games? ♥♥♥♥ off Valve, ♥♥♥♥ off.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
asdfsdfsdf Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:26pm 
Move somewhere else.
[dirrty]gsharp Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:34pm 
Originally posted by arkon:
Move somewhere else.

Exactly. It's not Valve's fault that the Aussie Government is filled with a bunch of net-nannies.
Gustave5436 Dec 29, 2012 @ 9:55pm 
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
Exactly. It's not Valve's fault that the Aussie Government is filled with a bunch of net-nannies.
That doesn't exactly answer the OP's question about why Valve can't just substitute an Australian version of the Valve Complete Pack that uses the low-violence version (already sold there) of L4D2.
[SD]Lowky Dec 29, 2012 @ 11:21pm 
Only countries with good football teams get the sale duh
Tsundere Kanojo Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:01am 
Go ask an American friend to buy it for you.
[dirrty]gsharp Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:44am 
Originally posted by Gustave5436:
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
That doesn't exactly answer the OP's question about why Valve can't just substitute an Australian version of the Valve Complete Pack that uses the low-violence version (already sold there) of L4D2.

Perhaps Valve is worried about potentially violating one of Australia's net-nanny laws? There must be a good reason for Valve to turn down L4D2 sales from Aussies. Nobody says "Let's not sell game X to the Aussies because they are <expletives>"

While you're correct in that I can't answer the OP's question, I'd argue that he should be asking Valve directly. By posting here, he opens up his post to the world.
bloodraven43 Dec 30, 2012 @ 1:51am 
that sucks..why would governments do this...its a game for gods sake...games dont harm people...people do...they have it all wrong...well i hope you get it somehow cause those games rock
SageTK Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:07am 
Australia sucks when it comes to games. Lets all hope the R18+ rating gets added. That way Australian gamers won't be screwed over by the government.
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:23am 
I should clarify, my question was why they can't add the low violence version for Australians wanting to buy the pack rather than getting rid of it all together. Stupid suggestions like move somewhere else isn't helpful and no one likes trolls. I would get my American friend to buy it, but then he can't send it to me, Valve doesn't allow the game to bought possessed by anyone situated in Australia. The problem is partly the government, but the government didn't stop the pack from being sold online, nothing was stopping Valve selling the low violence version. I assume Germany has the same problem. And we are introducing an R18+ gaming classification here early 2013, but waiting for it to go on sale again can be very frustrating. I have already taken the issue up with Valve directly but thought I'd post here as well.
EmeraldIsler Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:58am 
Originally posted by Skylar Icarus Tenebrae:
I should clarify, my question was why they can't add the low violence version for Australians wanting to buy the pack rather than getting rid of it all together. Stupid suggestions like move somewhere else isn't helpful and no one likes trolls. I would get my American friend to buy it, but then he can't send it to me, Valve doesn't allow the game to bought possessed by anyone situated in Australia. The problem is partly the government, but the government didn't stop the pack from being sold online, nothing was stopping Valve selling the low violence version. I assume Germany has the same problem. And we are introducing an R18+ gaming classification here early 2013, but waiting for it to go on sale again can be very frustrating. I have already taken the issue up with Valve directly but thought I'd post here as well.

They probably didn't see the point in it, forgot about it or didn't do it as a method to make more money from them being bought separately. If you've taken it up with Valve and are waiting for a reply there's not much good asking here as only Valve would know the answer, unless a mod is hovering around lol
Lostedge Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:21am 
Dont buy your games from steam. Use some other webstore that does not use local prices.
nimrod123 Dec 30, 2012 @ 3:54am 
basicly never buy off steam if you can help it if you live in NZ/AUS

try ozgameshop, uses AUSD, so far cheaper then amazon due to the stronger AUS dollar, free shiping from the UK

Steams a amazing rippoff for AUS/NZ, its 100% more expensive on nearly all AAA titles
Mrawri (SkylarKitty) Dec 30, 2012 @ 4:09am 
There is a mod to uncensor L4D2, but that's for when you buy the game and are later playing it, the problem here is being unable to buy it in the first place. This is only 1 instance of Australian's being worse off. It's getting a tad out of hand
rikashiku Dec 30, 2012 @ 4:52am 
Australia is getting it worse than New Zealand. I only pay an extra 1.20 for my games, but I look at the Australian prices and they're practically 2.5 times more expensive than the American retail.
Jordanwts Dec 30, 2012 @ 5:06am 
Originally posted by Skylar Icarus Tenebrae:
the problem here is being unable to buy it in the first place. This is only 1 instance of Australian's being worse off. It's getting a tad out of hand
You can still buy it, just not in the Valve pack.
Saying we are worse off is overreacting just a little... I mean, it's Steam! Most of us own a lot of Valve's games already.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 29, 2012 @ 8:52pm