mrh5474 Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:23pm
Does Using Steam Monopolise Your Gaming?
This is not an attack on Steam, or other similar sites. It is just a thread to get fellow users of Steam's opinion.

I've been playing games through Steam for several months now. I like it. I like the community aspect, the deals on games, the massive indie scene that seems to be getting a lot of support from Steam, etc.

However, it seems to have grown from the copy protection system, which I was lead to believe it was at the start. The first time I became aware of it, was when I was required to play Half-life 2 solely through Steam.

Is this how it is going to be in the future though? If I want to play a certain game, am I going to have to 'sign up' for a certain 'club' so to speak?

Moreso however, is that I have now found myself purchasing and playing titles, because they are on Steam. And because of the deals. I can see in the background how this could all be sweet for games developers, and when does 'free choice' become cleverly aimed marketing?

When I look at some of my purchases, I know for a fact I would not have bought a lot of them had I been in a game store.

So am I a mindless sheep? Is that the future?
Showing 1-15 of 142 comments
< >
a.k.a. Dead Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Digital download's will always require some form of an account, and the day's of physical media (of all type's) - are numbered.
Last edited by a.k.a. Dead; Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:48pm
Dreakon Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Originally posted by mrh5474:
Is this how it is going to be in the future though? If I want to play a certain game, am I going to have to 'sign up' for a certain 'club' so to speak?
Yes. Even DRM-free solutions like GOG still require you to have a GOG account. Digital downloads don't come out of thin air, and as long as that's the way gaming goes, you'll need to be a member of whatever sites/services to utilize them.

I actually think it's more efficient to pick one service (like Steam) and stick with it. You could do a lot worse.

Maybe, no worse than the millions of regular folks forced to buy Xbox 360 or PS3 games because that's the console they bought. At least you chose the service where you can regularly get blockbuster titles for less than $10. ;-]
Last edited by Dreakon; Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:46pm
mrh5474 Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:46pm 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
Yes. Even DRM-free solutions like GOG still require you to have a GOG account. Digital downloads don't come out of thin air, and as long as that's the way gaming goes, you'll need to be a member of a sites/services to utilize them.

Maybe, but it could be worse. At least you chose the service where you can regularly get blockbuster titles for less than $10. ;-]

I always wondered though, and here is where my lack of knowledge kicks in.

What happens if I get a new computer? Or something happens to my hard drives? Will that purchased content still be there?
Dreakon Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:47pm 

What happens if I get a new computer? Or something happens to my hard drives? Will that purchased content still be there?
It's linked to your account. As long as you sign in to your account on your new PC, all of your games will be there. You may need to re-download the game files though, and any saves not on the cloud may be lost.
Last edited by Dreakon; Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:49pm
mrh5474 Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:51pm 

It's linked to your account. As long as you sign in to your account on your new PC, all of your games will be there. You may need to re-download the game files though, and any saves not on the cloud may be lost.

thanks for that. Although I think I just hijacked my own thread!
a.k.a. Dead Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:53pm 

thanks for that. Although I think I just hijacked my own thread!

Report yourself then - lol.
Peter Pan May 4, 2013 @ 1:05am 
It can keep you using one distribution platform because games bought online are exclusive and rarely compatible with other distribution sites. E.g., a Sims 3 expansion bought on Origin won't work with your base Sims 3 game on Steam.

However it is a necessary and convenient evil because Steam handles patching for you. You don't need to scour the internet to update all your games.
Steam also acts as a DRM of sorts and I would prefer something like Steam than other forms of DRM.

But the answer to your question is, no, Steam does not monopolize my gaming. I have been using Origin as well, but I do have a preference for Steam.
However, it is also because Steam has not resolved its issues with EA, that made me use Origin. There was this fear that the newest Sims 3 expansion would not be coming to Steam because of the ongoing saga between Steam and EA. Eventually the expansion did arrive on Steam, but no effort has been made to calm the masses.

What if one day Steam and EA finally call it quits? What's gonna happen to the Sims 3 owners on Steam who won't be able to buy future Sims 3 expansions?

So that is why I use Origin for EA titles.
MonkeySeeker May 4, 2013 @ 6:14am 
Originally posted by Peter Pan:
It can keep you using one distribution platform because games bought online are exclusive and rarely compatible with other distribution sites. E.g., a Sims 3 expansion bought on Origin won't work with your base Sims 3 game on Steam.

Actually this part only applies to Steam. Games bought from other DD sites and retail do not have this problem.

So using your example you could buy The Sims 3 from Origin, a Sims 3 expansion from Gamersgate and another expansion from Green Man Gaming and another expansion from Get Games Go and another expansion from a retail store and they would all install properly and work fine together.
Last edited by MonkeySeeker; May 4, 2013 @ 6:17am
BDK May 5, 2013 @ 10:20am 
I'm getting fairly sick of almost all games requiring steam these days.
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 May 5, 2013 @ 1:31pm 
Steam don't create and owned the game. They are just license seller.
Jacobite01 May 5, 2013 @ 1:52pm 
I miss boxes from retail like the good old days the booklet manual, CD and Box Art but I' am happy with Steam and GOG myself, tried Origin 3 times now and just hate it.
mrh5474 May 6, 2013 @ 1:01pm 
Originally posted by Jacobite01:
I miss boxes from retail like the good old days the booklet manual, CD and Box Art but I' am happy with Steam and GOG myself, tried Origin 3 times now and just hate it.

I am the same. I prefered that as well.
ReBoot May 8, 2013 @ 10:06am 
I have most of my games on Steam and if a game's not on Steam, it's a big down for me. In fact, I've bought only ONE game outside of Steam during the past years and that was Experience 112. It's just too awesome to miss.

Anyway, I'm cool with that. Convenience is a strong force and Steam is almost as convenient as a DD store can get.
Candesco May 8, 2013 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by Jacobite01:

I miss that too, especially those big carton boxes like with Myst III: Exile and Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings. Luckily i still have Myst III in it's original box. I still try to get games in jewelcases, as i prefer that. However, it seems that those are more and more hollow, as it requires either steam or origin and sometimes combined with uplay or games for windows live. Last time i bought blades of time in the store, but to play it i needed steam, active the code in there and then it downloads the game. Cd is actually one big steam installer. Skyrim is like the same, as far as i know. That's not the way it should be. Luckily there are still developers who still know how it works, like CdProjekt Red. The cd or dvd should contain the game and not a third party software installer. It;s like you don't own the game anymore, but rent it.
Still, i also buy some games at the steam store. But i'm not always happy with the store. Quite some games miss the expansion when there is one. Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege 2 from GasPowered Games are examples of that. Bought the Dungeon Siege bundle here at Steam and it turned out that Legends of Aranna for DS1 and Broken Sword for DS2 aren't included and that it's probably merely a way to sell the poor dungeon siege 3.
I also use GoG. Best feature of GoG is that it is DRM free. But most games in my collection are cd.s and dvd's, complete with manual and such. Last time i bought the Divinity Anthology straight from Larian themself. Comes with the dvd's of the games, manuals, soundtracks and some other extra stuff.
mrh5474 May 8, 2013 @ 4:42pm 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
I have most of my games on Steam and if a game's not on Steam, it's a big down for me. In fact, I've bought only ONE game outside of Steam during the past years and that was Experience 112. It's just too awesome to miss.

Anyway, I'm cool with that. Convenience is a strong force and Steam is almost as convenient as a DD store can get.

So in anser to the question, 'Does Steam Monopolise Your Gaming?' that would be a yes?
Showing 1-15 of 142 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 30, 2013 @ 4:23pm