Tämä keskustelu on lukittu
Why do games cost more outside of the USA?
Company of Heroes 2 costs $60USD within the United States but in New Zealand (where I live) it costs $90USD, which is obviously $30USD more. Why is this? There is no shipping/packaging expenses for steam as all games sold on steam are downloads, which makes me believe that this is simply a blatant money-grab. This isn't just for Company of Heroes 2, but for MANY other titles as well.
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 416 kommentista
Diffrent USD for one.

Developers set the cost on Steam. Steam doesn't have a say in the matter. They may suggest a price, but it is the developers who sets it.

Local stores also threated to stop carrying games if the price on Steam is less then that in the store.

There is also local laws to consider.

The issue isn't black and white. There is a lot more going on between you and Steam to make it cost that much.
Some cost more, some cost less. It's up to the game's publisher to decide the regional pricing.
US is actually one of the pricier regions. New mainstream titles are usually cheaper in Europe and significantly cheaper in Eastern Europe. Publishers set the prices, based on what they know people are willing to pay for them.
Canti lähetti viestin:
US is actually one of the pricier regions. New mainstream titles are usually cheaper in Europe and significantly cheaper in Eastern Europe. Publishers set the prices, based on what they know people are willing to pay for them.
Some regions yes but not all Europe, US is often cheaper in all sales that Steam has. A lot of prices in US is also cheaper than other countries.
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs
Do those look fair to you?
Zukabazuka lähetti viestin:
Some regions yes but not all Europe, US is often cheaper in all sales that Steam has. A lot of prices in US is also cheaper than other countries.
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs
Do those look fair to you?

This is what I got by following the link: There are currently no entries that match your criteria.

I think you forgot a part of it.
-----
The same happens in reverst too. I get 100 "rip-offs" going from EU to US and 100 Going from US to EU.

It goes both ways.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/topripoffs/100/list US to EU

http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs/100/list EU to US
-----
Ok. They only stay as long as they have a cookie on the computer. Got it.

Either way, it balances out. Some cost more in the US then the EU too.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Spawn of Totoro; 24.4.2013 klo 6.46
Note that USD is the world fiat currency which means that the USA enjoys a lot of benefits from that such as low borrowing rates. Also being the #1 economy in the world allows economies of scale that other countries cannot begin to imagine.

Regional pricing is dependent on a lot of factors including buying power regionally, local retailers, cost of living, etc.
Good question. I live in a very small country (8 million people). Being that small everything costs more to make. Like making our own printed magazines is 4x more expensive than the next door giant country who has a lot more people and resources. I pay 37% tax here so gotta save every coin i can.

Thankfully we stayed out of the Euro so we have the benefit of our local coin being somewhat flexible. That being said we still buy games in Steam in Euros. In general i find the prices to be quite balanced and just a tiny bit overpriced .. aka the $1 = 1euro usually mean that the prices is just 5-10%-ish overpriced in the end. And that isnt so bad when you are used to everything "imported" being freakishly overpriced.

Just take a look at Origin .. they try to use our local coin and suddenly their prices is WAY off. Its like 1$ = 2euro most of the time. Cant recall ever buying a game directly on Origin when the very same games cost 100% less in our local game stores.

One way or the other: dont forget that prices on Steam rarely reflect the prices of physical boxed games, so its best to take a quick lookaround online & your local stores before purchasing anything.
Overseas physical copies is dear due to expensive logistik and monetary value,custom taxes.

It depends upon how many thousand copies, it give discount price and some countries market place is not good.and purchasing by the retailer store cost more.

By digital distribution is cheaper and the best choice.
dux 26.4.2013 klo 10.23 
Company of Heroes 2 is a Steamworks title (AFAIK), so you can purchase it anywhere, and activate it on Steam. I know it sucks (living in Australia) I just avoid it if we're getting charged too much. If the price is the same in the US, then I'll look into it, but (for example) the current Rockstar weekend: GTA4 is $10 in the US, $25 here. I'll pass.

But shop around, especially if there are other places selling codes by email... in oz particularly.
Good one George, in addtion to that; STEAM is right here in the Good Ol' U.S.A. So, yes we get a break here.
WTFRU115 lähetti viestin:
Good one George, in addtion to that; STEAM is right here in the Good Ol' U.S.A. So, yes we get a break here.

Actually steam being in the USA has little to do with that. Publishers set pricing and that pricing is due to a varaiety of factors incluuding, local retailers, cost of living, cost of distribution of physical product, etc.
Raisti lähetti viestin:
simple answer is americans are poor compared to other countrys where you can charge more because the people got more :P

this is the logic of most companies, i swear
Yeah:'(
Most people here don't even know what they are talking about because they don't think about it for 10 cent. In Europe, Games don't cost significantly more. Yes, they cost more than the direct € -> USD conversion, but that is because we pay VAT when purchasing and Americans don't.

That is where most of the additional cost come from.
Some Indiestores do a direct € -> USD conversion, but then you get VAT added on checkout and you see the difference directly.

Of course there is some bumping going on in favor of the publishers, but it is half as bad as people claim. Tax differences do play a big role here.
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Scorcher24; 30.4.2013 klo 7.30
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 416 kommentista
Sivua kohden: 1530 50

Lähetetty: 23.4.2013 klo 20.13