The Brown Hornet Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:56pm
Does Packaging Make a Difference?
A previous thread mentioned why Steam games cost as much as hard copies when they dont include packaging materials. I agree that new games should at least be 10% cheaper at Steam considering you get no materials at all! Even today when I buy console games (namely PS2, my favorite console), I often wont purchase a title unless the case and manual are included. Of course packaging materials raises its value but it is also part of the lore; if done right, they help suck you into the game world even more. I remember being fascinated with the Final Fantasy VII case and manual just as much as the game itself, I spent hours reading it and regarding it as a piece of art in itself! Anyone else have a similar experience?
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:18pm 
Packaging maybe be worth some extra few dollars to you. But convenience is worth an extra few dollars for me. I will specifically prefer a game that doesn't dump a load of physical goods on me. I will pay (a little) more to not have to deal with ugly, cupboard-filling boxes and scratchable discs. So perhaps I can declare that retail games, that burden me with physical crap, "should" be at least 10% cheaper to compensate for my trouble.
KARR Apr 10, 2013 @ 6:54pm 
But with dvd's and cd's no-one needs to pay for all that bandwidth of people downloading 15Gb a time. (sometimes on a regular basis)
L-r | Canti Apr 10, 2013 @ 11:15pm 
Originally posted by KARR:
But with dvd's and cd's no-one needs to pay for all that bandwidth of people downloading 15Gb a time. (sometimes on a regular basis)
Most people don't pay per GB anyway.
Tito Shivan Apr 11, 2013 @ 2:27am 
For a AAA title, the cost of manufacturing, packaging and distribution may sum up a 5% of the total price.
That's just $3 from a $60 title
No One Apr 11, 2013 @ 1:21pm 
while there should be a decrease in pricing companies have a srp for anything they make

and we dont know how much valve is paying for content since much like say netflix they probably have contracts for content since they dont have to have product on hand to process a transaction . so some of the pricing may be on the publishers side of things.
4skin Apr 11, 2013 @ 1:25pm 
Just $3 dollars COD black ops 2 sold 11Mil the first week . and prob double that they save in shipping it all from china.
Niceguy03 Apr 11, 2013 @ 1:27pm 
I need 2 dollars to BUY Portal I REALLY WANT IT
rad87gn Apr 11, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
I"m glad I don't have boxes and boxes of worthless media and boxes! Price doesn't matter to me. Instead of driving to a store or waiting for it to be shipped I can play it immediately or instantly gift it to a friend. I don't have room for all the boxes and boxes of media anyway.
Hempest Apr 11, 2013 @ 3:02pm 
Originally posted by Canti:
Originally posted by KARR:
Most people don't pay per GB anyway.

I think you misunderstood him, he means that it cost VALVE money everytime someone downloads a game using their servers. You also have to factor in the fact that the money is split between both valve and the developers. Also you would have brick and mortar stores up in arms if companies began pricing digital games lower than retail games.
ReBoot Apr 13, 2013 @ 6:04am 
Just wait for a weekend/holiday/weeklong deal. Games on Steam are dirt cheap when bought on sales.
Dreakon Apr 13, 2013 @ 7:13am 
I dig having the boxes for games whenever I can manage it. I have a pretty beefy stack of old and new games in my closet that... if nothing else... is just incredibly cool to look at.

I'll buy games on Steam if they are cheaper than retail, then either find a way to get its box/case without re-purchasing the entire game... or maybe re-purchase the game for the box if I really like it and it's cheap enough.

In some cases you can find physical copies of games cheaper online than on Steam (or Steam affiliated digital distribution site)... like I got Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition for like $15 on eBay brand new. Back when I did that, you'd be hard pressed to find New Vegas itself that cheap since it never seemed to go on sale... no less the Ultimate Edition.
Nosilla Apr 13, 2013 @ 8:23pm 
I pay for convince of not having to have to go to the store, also $3 for packing materials per game is way too high, just some plastic and cardboard has gotta cost cents produced in a factory.
HEAVY METAL ZOMBIE Apr 14, 2013 @ 4:44pm 
Originally posted by Rare Hunter:
A previous thread mentioned why Steam games cost as much as hard copies when they dont include packaging materials. I agree that new games should at least be 10% cheaper at Steam considering you get no materials at all! Even today when I buy console games (namely PS2, my favorite console), I often wont purchase a title unless the case and manual are included. Of course packaging materials raises its value but it is also part of the lore; if done right, they help suck you into the game world even more. I remember being fascinated with the Final Fantasy VII case and manual just as much as the game itself, I spent hours reading it and regarding it as a piece of art in itself! Anyone else have a similar experience?
Figure in gas prices to drive to the box store to buy a game , car wear and tear , dumb a*s people at the store , etc
Just wait,Time change.. Apr 14, 2013 @ 5:48pm 
Packaging and a little bit extra as marketing ideas for a few cents in every unit and to gain many thousand dollars more totally in the whole market place.

Just wait,Time change.. Apr 15, 2013 @ 2:59am 
Some kind of gamers love his favorites games as hobby collecting special edition with attractive design box,Poster,figure, Uncut version and so on and they are willing to pay physical copies.

Free marketing and it is belong to service for every cosumers.
It's business, business and business again....
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 10, 2013 @ 5:56pm