KKiONI Apr 1, 2013 @ 7:46am
Hardware Survey with Nvidia Optimus
So I took the hardware survey for this month using my newer laptop that has Nvidia Optimus and I noticed the survey does not directly acknowledge my Nvidia GPU and zeroes in just to my Intel GPU.
I glanced at the previous surveys in the past and all show the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and 4000 rising up to be the dominant GPU. However, it gives no indication of whether or not this might be paired with a Nvidia card as well. Anyone else find this a bit problematic in terms of accuracy?
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Vitdom Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:53am 
Most mobile personal computers that have dedicated graphics cards have been designed to wire the dedicated graphics through the integrated Intel graphics.

Conduct the following experiment: Make sure your dedicated GFX system is active, and disable your integrated Intel graphics.
Likely result: Neither your integrated nor dedicated GPUs will work. OS switches to software rendering.

I agree, it's stupid, misleading and in my experience very buggy.
Last edited by Vitdom; Apr 5, 2013 @ 8:57am
KKiONI Apr 5, 2013 @ 9:29am 
Yeah, I already tried a tactic like that. There is no way to permanently disable the integrated card, however the Nvidia card does come with a tool that allows you to configure when it switches between the two. Setting it structly to the Nvidia card rendered me with the same outcome. Though when I think back on it now, I should have tested again after rebooting Steam. Probably would have fixed it.
Nevertheless, many would not have known to do this and I think it really introduces a bias against this sort of setup.
KKiONI Apr 12, 2013 @ 1:19pm 
Originally posted by Archduke:
Originally posted by CotF KKiONI:
Yeah, I already tried a tactic like that. There is no way to permanently disable the integrated card,
Are you sure of this?
Device manager should disable it, but even if not, the BIOS will always provide a means to do so.
Not quite. Since the Intel GPU is my primary card, disabling it will also disable any video output. If I used that method in conjunction with my Nvidia CP, I could probably get it to work, however I am not looking to disable the Intel graphics card. Especially since I'd rather not have my Nvidia card draining my battery when I am out and about.
Not to mention I should not have to go to all this trouble just to submit an accurate survey report. The best option would be for Valve to differentiate between dedicated and integrated graphics cards on their survey and display them as separate categories when publishing the results.
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 1, 2013 @ 7:46am