Things that need to happen for the PC to enter the living room for most people
We all know Gabe's views of the PC being the center of the living room but what needs to happen for most people to realize that hooking your PC up to your TV is the best option.

For me I think Games need to be designed with split screen options on PC. Developers need to start thinking about the PC being in the living room now and keep in mind that there could be multiple people playing a game on one PC.

This is one advantage that the consoles have over PC in the living room. There are not that many games on PC where a few of your friends can play on the same machine. I know that there are titles out there that do have split screen like Serious Sam 3 but Portal 2 doesn't (as far as I know).

I am not someone who hates the Xbox and PlayStation consoles but I do value PC a little more. What do you guys think needs to happen for the PC to become a contender in the living room?
< >
Zobrazeno 115 z 17 komentářů
Portal 2 was updated to add split screen to co-op mode but all your points are still valid.
Naposledy upravil eram; 30. bře. 2013 v 9.50
eram původně napsal:
Portal 2 was updated to add split screen to co-op mode

Awesome, last time I played it it didn't have this option.
The "nerd stigma" needs to go away, and actually its kind of true when most games are poorly ported. The need to edit ini configs, manual fov etc turn a lot of casuals away, they just want to plug and play which is fine. I actually want more games developed witht the Valve model since i never have to edit anything outside of ingame options. Otherwise getting games like Rage to work is a nightmare.
Naposledy upravil RichardV; 30. bře. 2013 v 10.51
I completely agree with the OP. This is the biggest downfall of the PC, which can easily be fixed once developers realize the true potential of the PC.

Also,
eram původně napsal:
Portal 2 was updated to add split screen to co-op mode but all your points are still valid.

I never knew that. This is good. In order for more developers to make split screen support, Valve needs to set an example, just like how they are setting an example to make others port their games to Linux.

Does anyone know if L4D2 has split screen co-op?
JonahD původně napsal:

Does anyone know if L4D2 has split screen co-op?

yeah but you need to type a few things into the console
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029890
Naposledy upravil Cold Corn Man; 30. bře. 2013 v 15.19
I think many people still haven´t enough pc knowledge. I´ve connected my second system with TV, playing vids,music etc. and it works great.
I think the same on most families don't know how to do much with a PC other then facebook, twitter, email and do random searches on the internet. But really I don't watch much tv and cable can get expensive, I say pay for internet and stream alot of stuff.
As someone using a HTPC right now for TV and gaming, I think the main obstacles come down to ease of use and how we interface with it. Those 2 areas are the main weaknesses for living room PCs. Unless you leave it in perpetual sleep mode, which most people don't, the boot time it takes to turn it on, load OS, launch the app, and start playing could use improvement. A console you can just shut off and turn on with minimal wait. Your average person wants that. The other issue not quite worked out yet is the interaction. I use an RF remote keyboard/touchpad and while this works, it is somewhat awkward. Currently we have air mice, modified Wiimotes, and other devices but still nothing has caught on yet or functions with ease for most people yet. Peripheral manufacturers need to start thinking like console peripheral makers and come up with newer devices besides mice and keyboards. Sure we have game pads, but how about fishing rods, light guns, and dance pads? Even with that, the PC games that support them have to come out too. When that happens, then the living room PC might go mainstream.
For M$ to be this stupid:

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

The Xbox 3 brought to you by EA's always on DRM. But wait! It's not DRM! Your Xbox is an MMO that's why it requires this, honest!

Sony would throw a party if all of these sources turn out to be true and Valve would get a nice chunk of the living room space as well.
Naposledy upravil LoTekRabbit; 4. dub. 2013 v 13.44
Gabe Newell needs to buy the original nintendo gamecube controller ( {ODKAZ SMAZÁN} ) but they would have to add some new stuff like make another z botton and and make the joy sticks click and all that good stuff. I would also like to see them keep the joy sicks the same and make it wireless also keep the botton layout and the design the same.

If Gabe did this I would preorder the steam box right now just for the remote.
The gamecube controller is awful...no thanks.
The game cube controller is my favorite. I absolutely love the D-Pad and the how the buttons are placed. Your main action button is obvious and your main secondary action button is obvious, with two extras. Though I never played any shooters on my Gamecube, and it doesn't look like a good controller for shooters, it could be fixed.

The only problems with the GC controller was that it needed a second Z button (why the hell did they only have one?), and the C stick should have been the same as the other analog stick. Other than that it was unique and very comfortable.

(This is just me going offtopic, I don't think they should rip off Nintendo. That and they already have a design in mind, google Steambox controller)
Naposledy upravil Serell; 4. dub. 2013 v 20.34
This guy is the best he just took what I was saying and made it 60 times better
SpotlessSpartan původně napsal:
Gabe Newell needs to buy the original nintendo gamecube controller ( {ODKAZ SMAZÁN} ) but they would have to add some new stuff like make another z botton and and make the joy sticks click and all that good stuff. I would also like to see them keep the joy sicks the same and make it wireless also keep the botton layout and the design the same.

If Gabe did this I would preorder the steam box right now just for the remote.

Yikes....I never liked the GameCube controller
< >
Zobrazeno 115 z 17 komentářů
Na stránku: 1530 50

Datum zveřejnění: 30. bře. 2013 v 9.48
Počet příspěvků: 17