Lostedge Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:04am
Has anyone ever received a compensation from steam/valve?
I have few times gotten a compensation from a company, because of faulty product or late delivery. Normally this compensation is original product + extra reward (money, item).

Have you ever received compensation from steam? I am not talking about refunds. I am talking about something extra. Lets say you lost 50% of your games for 2 months because of some database error. You would not be happy, if you got your games back with a minor apology to go with it after such a long wait time.

Steam/Valve makes huge profits, but I have never heard them compensating anyone from their mistakes.
Last edited by Lostedge; Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:07am
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:20am 
Originally posted by Hyperion:
I have few times gotten a compensation from a company, because of faulty product or late delivery. Normally this compensation is original product + extra reward (money, item).

Have you ever received compensation from steam? I am not talking about refunds. I am talking about something extra. Lets say you lost 50% of your games for 2 months because of some database error. You would not be happy, if you got your games back with a minor apology to go with it after such a long wait time.

Steam/Valve makes huge profits, but I have never heard them compensating anyone from their mistakes.

Vacbanned falsely banned a ton of people awhile back (very long time ago).. everyone banned received a free copy of L4D2.
Tito Shivan Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:32am 
And despite having a 'No Refunds' policy, they've been known to igve refunds in specific cases.

Luckily, Steam is a company that doesn't make big screw-ups often. That's why they don't need to compensate en-masse users often either.
ColdMolasses Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:11pm 
Yes I did. All I can say is finally. I was having a problem with Tomb Raider 3 from the day I purchased it. Steam CX Service is slow I can tell you that. Even after I contacted the publisher, they would take 4-5 days to respond. I filed a complaint with the BBB and opened a paypal dispute.

They said if paypal gave me the money back they would lock my account from purchasing and community access. So I cancelled it and waited even longer for a fix.

Finally after almost a month, they said they could not help me and refunded my money to my steam wallet/account.
Jade Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:24pm 
Originally posted by ColdMolasses:
Finally after almost a month, they said they could not help me and refunded my money to my steam wallet/account.

Did you actually read the OP's post?
You know, this part:

Originally posted by Hyperion:
I am not talking about refunds. I am talking about something extra.


I don't think Valve gives compensations normally. Sure if thousands of people are having problems they might give a game as an apology but if a single user is having problems with them that user is SOL.
Lostedge Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:33pm 
Originally posted by Jade:
I don't think Valve gives compensations normally. Sure if thousands of people are having problems they might give a game as an apology but if a single user is having problems with them that user is SOL.

Actually consumer laws at least in europe state that customer is entitled to compensation in certain cases. Compensation is not just a refund. Of course some companies are less enthuastic about making amends that others. Some companies want to keep their customers happy or keep their customers overall.

Last edited by Lostedge; Mar 26, 2013 @ 12:35pm
Satoru Mar 26, 2013 @ 1:23pm 
Originally posted by Hyperion:
Actually consumer laws at least in europe state that customer is entitled to compensation in certain cases. Compensation is not just a refund. Of course some companies are less enthuastic about making amends that others. Some companies want to keep their customers happy or keep their customers overall.

All such laws do not apply to services like Steam. You're talking about entirely different things (usually warranties) which are not covered via any EU consumer protection laws (EU consumer protection laws pretty much expire the second a Steam game hits your library). In any case steam and all such games are given without warranty and therefore you rae not 'entitled' to any compensation regardless even via warranty claims. All services are provide 'as is' and without warranty. Which is fairly standard for all software. If you get any compensation it's not because they 'have' to via any law.

In any case why are you asking the question?
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 26, 2013 @ 1:26pm
Pete Mar 26, 2013 @ 6:18pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Originally posted by Hyperion:
Actually consumer laws at least in europe state that customer is entitled to compensation in certain cases. Compensation is not just a refund. Of course some companies are less enthuastic about making amends that others. Some companies want to keep their customers happy or keep their customers overall.

All such laws do not apply to services like Steam. You're talking about entirely different things (usually warranties) which are not covered via any EU consumer protection laws (EU consumer protection laws pretty much expire the second a Steam game hits your library). In any case steam and all such games are given without warranty and therefore you rae not 'entitled' to any compensation regardless even via warranty claims. All services are provide 'as is' and without warranty. Which is fairly standard for all software. If you get any compensation it's not because they 'have' to via any law.

In any case why are you asking the question?

Tell that to Bill Gates.
Utrax Mar 26, 2013 @ 6:21pm 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
Steam is a company that doesn't make big screw-ups often.

Valve*. :)
Last edited by Utrax; Mar 26, 2013 @ 6:22pm
Satoru Mar 26, 2013 @ 6:53pm 
Originally posted by arniesan:
Originally posted by Satoru:

All such laws do not apply to services like Steam. You're talking about entirely different things (usually warranties) which are not covered via any EU consumer protection laws (EU consumer protection laws pretty much expire the second a Steam game hits your library). In any case steam and all such games are given without warranty and therefore you rae not 'entitled' to any compensation regardless even via warranty claims. All services are provide 'as is' and without warranty. Which is fairly standard for all software. If you get any compensation it's not because they 'have' to via any law.

In any case why are you asking the question?

Tell that to Bill Gates.

Steam's SSA is entirely legal in the EU and UK. Feel free as to say what anti-trust laws Steam is breaking. The comparision is entirely moot without concrete examples.
Cinemod Apr 24, 2013 @ 1:49am 
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
And despite having a 'No Refunds' policy, they've been known to igve refunds in specific cases. .

No refunds policys don't mean anything if your country has laws that requires companys to provide a refund for faulty products like I know Australia has not sure about other countrys though.
Coookie Apr 24, 2013 @ 4:12am 
All i can remember is the MW2 false banning, with people receiving L4D2 as compensation.
Satoru Apr 24, 2013 @ 6:16am 
Originally posted by Cinemod12:
Originally posted by Tito Shivan:
And despite having a 'No Refunds' policy, they've been known to igve refunds in specific cases. .

No refunds policys don't mean anything if your country has laws that requires companys to provide a refund for faulty products like I know Australia has not sure about other countrys though.

Note that 'at best', being a Commonwealth country it's laws woudl be modelled after the strongest one, the UK Distance Selling law. Steam's SSA explicitly is written such that the UK laws are applicable, and your right of refusal expires the second you see the game hit your library. The laws ENFORCE the no refund policy.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:04am
Posts: 12