Zahnrad Stæmpunk Mar 25, 2013 @ 8:31am
Steam Early Access
I like the idea and stuff but maybe we could gain trials or something? I'm not much of a spender with Steam games yet I don't like having to watch videos to gain my opinion, if we gained a limited time as F2P games untill it's official release I can decide if I actually want to buy it on opening day. Also I would like to see alot of games that are planned to be released as F2Ps already being shown on Early Access, I mean if you looked at the new Dungeon Party that "thing" shouldn't have been released in the state it was in, even as F2P. Please put it on Early Access till it can be smoothed down on it's grindstone.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Purple Tentacle Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:04am 
early access games are really in my opinion aimed at people who are going to buy the game anyway despite what reviews and the mass's say....like people who bought the latest aliens game. if you haven't yet formed an opinion on the game before looking at the store page then its not for you (in its current state anyway) as the game is still likely to be in alpha or beta which means it wont work properly, lots of bugs and lots of missing content etc
Last edited by Purple Tentacle; Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:05am
Zahnrad Stæmpunk Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:25am 
Well me or other users might buy it on other platforms.
Purple Tentacle Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:27am 
i dont see why which platform you plan on purchasing it on making any difference its the same game. infact if your buying it on other platforms then chances are your not getting the early access which makes your comment rather confusing to me
Last edited by Purple Tentacle; Mar 25, 2013 @ 9:32am
Zahnrad Stæmpunk Mar 25, 2013 @ 11:32am 
I know you can't get it on others, I meant I could try it here for free then if I liked it I would pre-purchase or buy it on another console.
Purple Tentacle Mar 25, 2013 @ 11:46am 
your not going to get demos of games in alpha or beta, there in that state because there not ready yet, it also makes no sense to let people play the game in the state its in for free, if you mean they shouldn't charge for alpha or beta access then i also dont see the merit in your point, the only games which offer this are typically multiplayer games because they know your not going to finish the game in a day or two and not buy it once its released. some games in alpha are £20 and thats quite frankly too much unless you know you'll buy the game whatever the state its released in, they should be cheaper than release price as your basically a play tester but it makes no sense for them to give it to you for free
Mivo Mar 26, 2013 @ 1:10am 
There shouldn't be free trials for Early Access games. Early Access is a way to support a game while it is still i development and basically help to fund it, while at the same time you get to play dev snapshots, can benefit from a discount and offer feedback. For people who don't want to take a risk, this is also good because they can read actual player feedback on the forums and see how involved the developers are.

It's "win-win" for everyone with few downsides only. I prefer the Early Access model to both Kickstarter and traditional pre-orders

@TheBDK: I'm fine with buying directly from the developers if they offer a Steam key (or a Desura one, but that is less preferable to me). I like the convenience and service that Steam provides, so I don't see them as "money grubbing middleman".
«Gғм» Kid Of The Century Mar 26, 2013 @ 7:40am 
Seems unlikely that a dev which needs funds from Early Access will find the resources to also develop a free trial - which possibly won't reflect faithfully the final product.

Best case scenario is having a free trial once the game's released.
SKaREO Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:13am 
The one thing that sticks out here is that there are no Free to Play modelled games on here. This "Early Access" feature is nothing more than a marketing trick to sell games to customers before they get to see a review. For example, you could pre-order a game on Steam, get Beta access, decide that you are not satisfied with the developers progress and ask for a refund with no questions asked. Now with Early Access, I'm almost certain that you will be forfeiting that right to a refund. This is an aggressive sales tactic, and I'm personally offended by it.
Zahnrad Stæmpunk Mar 26, 2013 @ 8:44am 
I'm not saying they should give the games for free I'm saying maybe for a small time then once it's released you're FORCED to buy it if you want to continuee.
pH. Jin_D3vil Mar 30, 2013 @ 7:14am 
Early Access is for people who have done thier research. If you buy a game in an Earky Access offer and haven't even looked at the game and gained the information you need to make a proper judgement. Then far as I am concerned you are to blame if you have a poor experiance from it. The information is there for you to make an informed purchase. You should spend the time and look at all the resources available to you. Be they offical website and content from the creators/publishers. That or from other users and reviewers, with YouTube there is far more options to get vital information on a game and is very simple to find.

I'm sorry to anyone who feels cheated, but you are solely to blame if you haven't even bothered to be informed before buying.
Riku Saito Mar 30, 2013 @ 7:23am 
if your too lazy to do your research on a game then you dont deserve to get early access to it, just cos you dont get butthurt cos you didnt like it i agree with everything Jin has said, psn has a trail for an hour to PSN+ Users if you cant be asked to do the research or spend your precious money on something then dont bother crying about it.

do what every other REAL Gamer does research the game your looking at see what others say about it then make a decision on if your gonna buy it or not.
Zahnrad Stæmpunk Mar 30, 2013 @ 9:52am 
I'm sorry I couldn't read both the newer comments because of the bad grammar, along with the spelling errors.

Can someone rephrase those in a way I can read? They seem to imply I've paid for games and then lucked out.

Besides, Research and knowledge =/= First hand experience
TooOldReflexes Jul 5, 2013 @ 7:24am 
i would REALLY like to see an option of how to NOT see "early access" games in the store! there are so many early access games featured already in the store, and i dont really consider buying.
they are unfinished games, so I think there should be a possibility for me to NOT see them in the steam store which i first and foremost see as a store for finished games and their addons!
Cody Jul 5, 2013 @ 8:26am 
Originally posted by TooOldReflexes:
i would REALLY like to see an option of how to NOT see "early access" games in the store! there are so many early access games featured already in the store, and i dont really consider buying.
they are unfinished games, so I think there should be a possibility for me to NOT see them in the steam store which i first and foremost see as a store for finished games and their addons!
Not just early access for me, but I prefer to get some hands-on time with a game before I buy it. I wish more games on Steam had a playable demo even if it was just 15-20 minutes. I read just about every review I could find on MH3U as well as several video reviews, but after purchasing the game for myself I was sorely disappointed. I honestly don't make that much money and I don't like tossing down 40-60$ on a game I may not play for longer than 20 minutes.
Mivo Jul 6, 2013 @ 1:50am 
Originally posted by Krieger:
I honestly don't make that much money and I don't like tossing down 40-60$ on a game I may not play for longer than 20 minutes.

Wait for sales. I still buy too many full price games, but I draw the line at around €25 lately. If it's more, I wait for a sale, unless it's a franchise I'm really into (if Civ6 came out, I'd buy that at €50, no questions asked). I even started to buy used 3DS games because it finally hit me that there is simply no good reason to pay almost twice as much for a shrink wrapped box.

As for Early Access, well, I recently bought Skulls of the Shogun and SolForge. SolForge I could try for free on the iPad, so I knew what I was buying. Skulls was more of a gamble, but I like the genre and it turned out to be a good deal. Great game.

Demos are unattractive for publishers, for the reason you stated. You would buy fewer games if you could demo them.
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 25, 2013 @ 8:31am