This topic has been locked
Adam Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:11pm
Disconcerting trend of bans
I don't spend a lot of times on the forums, but every once in awhile I'll check out the forum for a game I might be interested in. I've recently noticed more than one user be banned for bad mouthing a game, there was insults hurled back and forth in the discussion, but only the OP was banned. This is troubling as it would lead me to believe that the moderators are cracking down on anyone who points out the flaws of a game. Users should be respectful in how they talk to other users and be mindful of how they criticize a game. However, if users are going to be banned for insulting other users then the users on both sides of the discussion who are violating the forum policy should be banned. Criticizing games and encouraging gamers not to buy them is important to our community. If we didn't bad mouth games, War Z would still be purchasable on steam.
Encouraging gamers not to buy poorly produced games will encourage developers to refine they're games more before release and listen to user feedback. Otherwise we will continue on the path of mass produced titles aimed at the A.D.D. generation that will buy it because it is new and not complain about low quality.
This may be a chicken little warning as I have not sifted through the forums to see how many people have been banned and for what. However, I felt the need to put this out there anyway because the quality of games has indeed been falling over the last few years (I feel 2012 was especially bad) and we need to encourage each other to criticize games more, not less. We, as the consumer, do have the power to influence future game designs and development.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:24pm 
(this is all speculation based past experience. i'm not a mod and never have been one. i have had my share of forum bans)

There's a difference between an honest debate about a game's flaws and stirring the flame pot. The former leads to a healthy discussion. The latter leads to rage, flames, insults, and other anti-social behaviors. People who start those kind of threads or steer honest discussion threads into a potty-mouted cesspool should be banned. (Been there, gotten that)

If you know of some specific threads, it might be interesting to put them under the microscope.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:25pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:30pm 
There is a lost more to it. In part, the poster's past history as well as how they handle the thread being locked. Most I have seen will post the topic again and/or complain about the lock, both of those are against the forum rules as well. Those get locked and deleted so you won't see them very much

Mods have no problem with people having an optinion, but it ususaly causes a lot of arguing. Topics like that are also against the Discussions Rules and Guidelines.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4045-USHJ-3810&l=english

There us a lot going on that you and I don't see.

As for the quality of games, the economy over the last few years has shifted. Cost of making a game have gone up so they have to cut corners to make a game profitable. THQ closed as well as several others due (in-part) to this.
Dirtman73 Mar 15, 2013 @ 6:27pm 
Overwhelmingly bad word of mouth causes poor game sales.
Spawn of Totoro Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:10pm 
Originally posted by Dirtman73:

Indirectly. The main cause is making a bad game to start with.
Dirtman73 Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:12pm 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

Aliens: Colonial Marines and SimCity would like to have a word with you.

The point is that those two games wouldn't be seeing a decline in sales if it weren't for bad word of mouth. That goes for any hyped-up, preorder-pushed crappy game.
Last edited by Dirtman73; Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:17pm
Trigger *AD* Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:14pm 
what ever happened to freedom of speech,
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:16pm 

Good God. Don't start up the ACM rage again. In that case, we were hoodwinked. The devs showed us Door #1 with the shiny new car but really delivered Door #2 with a beatup Ford Pinto.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:17pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:

Your rights don't extend to private organizations.
Dirtman73 Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:21pm 
Originally posted by dirrtygsharp:
Good God. Don't start up the ACM rage again. In that case, we were hoodwinked. The devs showed us Door #1 with the shiny new car but really delivered Door #2 with a beatup Ford Pinto.

Up to the final days of its release, anybody with a brain larger than a pebble could have seen where the development of that game was going. Despite all the evidence, people preordered it in droves anyway. It was a blatantly obvious hoodwink is what I'm saying.
Last edited by Dirtman73; Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:21pm
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:26pm 

Up to the final days of its release, anybody with a brain larger than a pebble could have seen where the development of that game was going. Despite all the evidence, people preordered it in droves anyway. It was a blatantly obvious hoodwink is what I'm saying.

The development up to about 8mos from release was going great and looking amazing. Once TT threw out the years of code from that other firm, the game went to ♥♥♥♥. Of course, we didn't know about the developer blame-game until AFTER release date.

Also, recall that a heavy press embargo was effect. Nobody could speak ill of this game until either 24hrs before or on release day (don't recall which). So, all we had to judge the game on was that amazing fake demo and the promo material. It seems reasonable to say people were hoodwinked. Blaming them for relying on the only sources of information available at the time of pre-order seems wrong.
Dirtman73 Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:42pm 
The development up to about 8mos from release was going great and looking amazing. Once TT threw out the years of code from that other firm, the game went to ♥♥♥♥. Of course, we didn't know about the developer blame-game until AFTER release date.

Also, recall that a heavy press embargo was effect. Nobody could speak ill of this game until either 24hrs before or on release day (don't recall which). So, all we had to judge the game on was that amazing fake demo and the promo material. It seems reasonable to say people were hoodwinked. Blaming them for relying on the only sources of information available at the time of pre-order seems wrong.

A:CM's development cycle consisted of seven years. During those years, there were rumors of creativity conflicts, delays, and massive content revamps. The misleading teaser trailer didn't show up until the middle of 2011, and the prerelease trailer was horrible enough that it should have raised obvious question marks regarding the quality of the final product. People chose to ignore all that.

Anyway, sorry for leading this thread off-topic.
Last edited by Dirtman73; Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:46pm
Spawn of Totoro Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:58pm 

The point is that those two games wouldn't be seeing a decline in sales if it weren't for bad word of mouth. That goes for any hyped-up, preorder-pushed crappy game.

They were bad games. If they were not, then word of mouth wouldn't have prevented their decline. If they were good games, then there would be no word of mouth to worry about.

Hence, a bad game has bad sales.
Mivo Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:07pm 
Originally posted by Adam:
Criticizing games and encouraging gamers not to buy them is important to our community. If we didn't bad mouth games, War Z would still be purchasable on steam.

It is usually a matter of "where" and "how". The line between "constructive criticism" and "trolling" is often crossed, which then gets threads locked. Going overboard gives a reason to shut down criticism.
Dirtman73 Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:21pm 

They were bad games. If they were not, then word of mouth wouldn't have prevented their decline. If they were good games, then there would be no word of mouth to worry about.

Hence, a bad game has bad sales.

Not sure if making a profit or even recouping enough to cover development costs would be considered "bad sales", but I understand your point.
Jawaka Mar 15, 2013 @ 8:58pm 
Originally posted by Trigger:

What freedom of speech are you referring to?

If you mean the First Amendment that has nothing to do with private forums on the internet.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:11pm