mascok Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:32pm
Steam machine winner announcement?
Does anyone know when steam will announce the 300 winners to the steam machine prototypes? And where will they be announcing it?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Jade Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:44pm 
No, and I doubt they will announce the winners publicly.
Black Blade Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:50pm 
Not sure they will do so... they may just say The wines were selected..
So the they will not get over 9000000 asking them how it is XD
Also i think it will be on the group before any were else
Sierra Oscar Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
No further details have been released yet.
mascok Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:53pm 
Ok, thanks for the help.
crunchyfrog Oct 27, 2013 @ 10:09pm 
As Black Blade points out, unless you were successful you're not likely to know anything about it other than "the people have been chosen" - they're not going to give personal details, or even details of accounts, because of the undue attention it would inevitably attract.

You will certainly know if you're lucky, as Valve will have to contact to you to send the goods out and remind you of certain things such as disclosure and paying for import duties, etc.
Laptop Oct 28, 2013 @ 10:06am 
I doubt they'd release exact Steam profiles of who's been selected, I'd feel sorry for their friends list invites the next day,
Trade-01 Oct 28, 2013 @ 11:41am 
Gaben will personally show up at your doorstep with a beer and munchies. Then raise his hand, holding up three fingers and say: "No one will believe you", then leave into the mist.
Morning Star Oct 28, 2013 @ 12:35pm 
Man, I would be so stoked if I got picked. I've beta tested in the past and it's been largely a good experience.
Austin Oct 30, 2013 @ 1:38pm 
I would like to beta test something for once. I have a feeling it would be fun. It would attract a lot of attention though.... But looking forward to see if i won or not!
ReBoot Oct 30, 2013 @ 2:35pm 
FYI: betatesting is actually hard work.
SargentRock Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
Originally posted by ReBoot:
FYI: betatesting is actually hard work.

hah I was just thinking that too many people see beta invites as "winning" instead of "being chosen to do a job"...I've had to turn some down before when I couldn't find time to adequately test something. More than likely anyone chosen will have to agree to return a system anyway so I'm not sure I'd call it winning.
Yeah Buddy Oct 30, 2013 @ 5:45pm 
Yeah, hope they are not gonna make the winners name public, i would not like that if that happens
crunchyfrog Oct 30, 2013 @ 8:04pm 
Originally posted by Yeah Buddy:
Yeah, hope they are not gonna make the winners name public, i would not like that if that happens

Not going to happen - there are legal issues surrounding such a thing, and there's the obvious unwanted attention that would come from it.

But to echo what Reboot said, beta-testing can indeed be tough work - it's normally very long and sometimes quite boring.
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Oct 30, 2013 @ 8:05pm
Alavard Nov 1, 2013 @ 8:37am 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
Originally posted by Yeah Buddy:

Not going to happen - there are legal issues surrounding such a thing, and there's the obvious unwanted attention that would come from it.

But to echo what Reboot said, beta-testing can indeed be tough work - it's normally very long and sometimes quite boring.

There were a few events/contests several years ago where x number of people got the first 10 games on their wishlists. They did it a couple of times and each time, the winners actually were announced.
crunchyfrog Nov 1, 2013 @ 10:55am 
Originally posted by Alavard:
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:

There were a few events/contests several years ago where x number of people got the first 10 games on their wishlists. They did it a couple of times and each time, the winners actually were announced.

I understand that, but this is rather a different kettle of fish.

What you have to remember is that this is a TEST. It is meant to be done in as normal an environment as possible - to add unnecessary and unwanted attraction would be somewhat contrary to the purpose.

Furthermore, competitions are slightly different as there is legislation that backs it up (such as openness and proof of winners).
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 26, 2013 @ 2:32pm