eatmywords Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:10am
Greenlight Games - the double-edged problem
I noted today that Sir You're Being Hunted has reduced in price by 50% today. Do you think these early release games are perhaps taking a chance too much? By releasing early indeed they will generate much needed funds to continually develop the game, but by full release perhaps the gaming community has already seen and played enough of the game, thereby jeapordising a full commercial release. Soon enough Steam will soon be littered with part-completed games, and this board will fill up with community complaints about bug-ridden games.
Last edited by eatmywords; Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:10am
Showing 1-15 of 69 comments
< >
Old Snake Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:13am 
That's because they are EARLY-ACCESS games. They're in alpha/beta status, and are not finished.
eatmywords Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:23am 
Originally posted by Delphox:
That's because they are EARLY-ACCESS games. They're in alpha/beta status, and are not finished.

I believe I did state that in the original post, but thanks for emphasising the point.
L-r | Canti Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:38am 
There's something I find wrong with a game having a daily deal discount before it has even been released... I can't quite explain it, but it feels rather underhanded.

Early access is not part of Greenlight. Any game, whether it was on Greenlight or not, can opt into the early access scheme.
eatmywords Oct 23, 2013 @ 10:37am 
Originally posted by Canti:
...Early access is not part of Greenlight. Any game, whether it was on Greenlight or not, can opt into the early access scheme.

Thanks for explaining that bit. I'm just concerened about games that are released early to the community, such as alpha or beta. Why pay for the full priced game if you've pretty much played the game in alpha or beta?
Black Blade Oct 23, 2013 @ 10:49am 
Originally posted by eatmywords:
Thanks for explaining that bit. I'm just concerened about games that are released early to the community, such as alpha or beta. Why pay for the full priced game if you've pretty much played the game in alpha or beta?
because unlike usel Beta/Alpha game you get the game in the end
Tito Shivan Oct 23, 2013 @ 11:02am 
Originally posted by eatmywords:
Thanks for explaining that bit. I'm just concerened about games that are released early to the community, such as alpha or beta. Why pay for the full priced game if you've pretty much played the game in alpha or beta?
The developer is the one who set up price, we have the freedom to pay that price or wait.

Consider pricing is also a barrier of entry. People willing to pay full price for a product in development are probably more aware of the status of the game and more willing to take part in the feedback and testing process Early Acces games aim for.
(Partly the reason why Planetary Anihiliation has that pricetag)
NiteNite Oct 23, 2013 @ 11:05am 
Originally posted by Canti:
There's something I find wrong with a game having a daily deal discount before it has even been released... I can't quite explain it, but it feels rather underhanded.

Early access is not part of Greenlight. Any game, whether it was on Greenlight or not, can opt into the early access scheme.

i kinda get it the parts of the community that has already paid full price for the early access coulda waited a sec and got it still in early access but for 50% that does not seem fair.

games that are sub standard should not demand a full price even if the promise of full game at the end and if you have read enough about early access you will know that the end product is not a surething to ever come out of development.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Oct 23, 2013 @ 11:07am 
I especially love it when early access games get a 50% discount.

"Hey guys this game isn't even finished, let's put it on sale to off our early testers."
sara_bear Oct 23, 2013 @ 11:28am 
Yeah I don't touch "early access" games, there are enough problem with far too many of the fully finished games.

I think it's just sale bait.
DaveMoeDee Oct 24, 2013 @ 6:17pm 
Originally posted by NiteNite:
Originally posted by Canti:
There's something I find wrong with a game having a daily deal discount before it has even been released... I can't quite explain it, but it feels rather underhanded.

Early access is not part of Greenlight. Any game, whether it was on Greenlight or not, can opt into the early access scheme.

i kinda get it the parts of the community that has already paid full price for the early access coulda waited a sec and got it still in early access but for 50% that does not seem fair.

games that are sub standard should not demand a full price even if the promise of full game at the end and if you have read enough about early access you will know that the end product is not a surething to ever come out of development.
I don't get this logic unless people are new to Steam. Expect games to go on sale. That is what happens on Steam. It isn't unfair if someone gets it later for less because (1) you got it earlier and (2) you paid what you considered a fair price.

I almost never buy games unless they go on sale (I'm fine waiting) and I buy way too many games. Essentially, that means I am diverting money from blockbusters to less popular games. If you decide you want to pay for a game at full price, that is your choice.

I dread the early access move because many of these games will never be decent. Since they have already sold many copies, they have less to gain by selling a finished game. While early access may help some games make it to the finish line, it could also result in some developers deciding to cut bait and to release a less than ready "final" version.
Black Blade Oct 25, 2013 @ 2:37am 
Originally posted by Dave Mo:
I dread the early access move because many of these games will never be decent. Since they have already sold many copies, they have less to gain by selling a finished game. While early access may help some games make it to the finish line, it could also result in some developers deciding to cut bait and to release a less than ready "final" version.
Yes that can happen... but if that game Dev will ever want to dev again he needs to get the game to the finish line or next time no one will buy from him
As with Garry's: Day one... they did something that many call wrong it got out and you can be sure that many will never buy a game from them again becose they taken out a game that was as many say really buggy and bad...(or so i heard)
So if a Dev dose that high way it will be a one time off... and no one will trust them again.. so in the end they lose more then they gain
Funguy Oct 25, 2013 @ 4:38am 
I know that many game developers relase their games when only in alphas or betas but they have good reaosn to do so. But a good example of a developer realsing their game to early before it should even be out of alpha would be Day one garrys... Its all up to the developer if they think their ready or not. But the final verdict ultamitely goes to the buyer of the game and whether they like an unfinished game with a few bugs or wait for the full game
Funguy Oct 25, 2013 @ 4:38am 
i have no idea what i just said there :P
eatmywords Oct 25, 2013 @ 4:54am 
Originally posted by Fun Guy:
I know that many game developers relase their games when only in alphas or betas but they have good reaosn to do so. But a good example of a developer realsing their game to early before it should even be out of alpha would be Day one garrys... Its all up to the developer if they think their ready or not. But the final verdict ultamitely goes to the buyer of the game and whether they like an unfinished game with a few bugs or wait for the full game

I would think some element of play-testing would enter into the framework of game production. But seeing as deveopers can now make a quick buck selling the alpha/beta to the gaming community, then they are clearly thinking they can get by with reading what's wrong on forums.

I realy think this is short-sighted, and will lead to a graveyard of part-finished and bug-ridden games that people have paid money for. Would you buy a motorbike without any wheels, and then wait until your forum post has been read by the manufacturer before you get them. And even then you might not.
Jawaka Oct 25, 2013 @ 10:41am 
I don't know if anyone's addressed what the OP is actually saying but I agree with it. He's saying that many people will purchase an Early Access game, play it until they're bored or frustrated with it and then uninstall it before it's even officially released and never see it's final released form.

I think that this has a lot to do with just how long some developers drag out the Early Access process before they release a final version. How long has Kerbal been considered Early Access now?

I wonder if the ability to release and sell a game while it's still in the process of being made causes many developers to lose track of what their final vision is for a game and when it's supposed to be final. I guess it can be fun to allow a game to keep evolving as new ideas arise but many people (including myself) won't purchase a game as long as that "Early Access" name is attached to it.
Showing 1-15 of 69 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 23, 2013 @ 6:10am
Posts: 69