CeresBane Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:10am
Will we ever see a steam handheld?
Alot of the games I buy tends to go well if I have them on the move. And on that note a lil more support for offline mode would be nice.

Like achievements not being paramount to being online.
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:16am 
You can still earn achievements offline, then they will sync online when you connect.

I don't think they will make a handheld as it would then be limited to Linux only games and dependent on that market. Besides that, a handheld lacks the power of a PC, so games would be even more limited.

It would also have to require controller support.
Satoru Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:17am 
I'd use Nvidia Shield
ゆき Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:50am 
No, it's likely to never happen. Handheld market is not lucrative unless you're Nintendo or some Mobile Phone manufacturer.
Jawaka Oct 16, 2013 @ 10:24am 
The Steam app on a tablet would probably be the closest you would get.
Kargor Oct 16, 2013 @ 11:07am 
Yeah well, with the current humblebundle, which I'll probably get, I wouldn't mind "Steam for Android". I don't have an Android device (or any other such gadget), but I'll have Android games...

And come on, nobody plays on Linux, yet they have a Linux steam. There'll probably be more people playing on Android simply because it's a completely different type of device.

Come to think of it, humblebundle doesn't seem to like iOS at all. The recent "mobile" bundle only had Android games as well...
crunchyfrog Oct 18, 2013 @ 6:14pm 
Originally posted by ゆき:
No, it's likely to never happen. Handheld market is not lucrative unless you're Nintendo or some Mobile Phone manufacturer.

Absolutely.

What some people aren't seeming to grasp is that with the Steam boxes, Valve AREN'T being hardware manufacturers - they are merely partnering or licensing.

Getting into the hardware game is extremely risky, and handheld even more so.

Originally posted by Kargor:
Yeah well, with the current humblebundle, which I'll probably get, I wouldn't mind "Steam for Android". I don't have an Android device (or any other such gadget), but I'll have Android games...

And come on, nobody plays on Linux, yet they have a Linux steam. There'll probably be more people playing on Android simply because it's a completely different type of device.

Come to think of it, humblebundle doesn't seem to like iOS at all. The recent "mobile" bundle only had Android games as well...

Nobody plays on Linux? You obviously have no idea what you're saying there. You're possibly projecting YOUR feelings onto that of others, which is daft.

If you cared to check the Steam Box thread on here, you'd note an official statement that says that Linux games sales are THREE times higher than of the Mac version, on the whole.
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Oct 18, 2013 @ 6:17pm
Kamina Oct 19, 2013 @ 1:56am 
The closest thing to a Steam handheld is the Nvidia Shield, which streams your PC games.

Maybe when the Nvidia GRID comes out, you'll then be able to stream your steam games through a 4G network on any mobile device.
Last edited by Kamina; Oct 19, 2013 @ 1:57am
Someguy Oct 20, 2013 @ 7:30am 
would it maybe become an app for android?
MediTree Oct 20, 2013 @ 7:54am 
It would be cool if you could use your touch screen phone/tablet as a controller (like Nitrome)
Jamtots Oct 20, 2013 @ 4:32pm 
Probably not an official Valve licensed handheld, but you don't need one. The Nvidia Shield already does what you're asking for.
Heavy_Z Oct 21, 2013 @ 6:39pm 
I just use my laptop or netbook when I play games on the go. You can get a very light laptop with enough power to play most games, not counting newer 3D games, for under $400. Not to mention if you get one with a touch screen it works better than an e-reader for books since there are touch apps for Windows 8 for both Nook and Kindle. There really is no reason for there to be another form of portable steam, though it would be nice to see support for tablets. Given the windows tablets have USB ports you could even plug controllers in.
ﮎρэИﮎэi Oct 27, 2013 @ 6:55am 
i hate this idea if every company would take place in every sections there is nothing more special if you a like me u search every time for the best "thing" spamming the market with products doesn't make them better
Tatsuya Hiroki (HU) Oct 27, 2013 @ 8:59am 
not sure about it, unless it would use a sort of streaming technology like Onlive .
bubba9514 Oct 28, 2013 @ 1:45pm 
idk would there be that much interest in it?
Egomaster Oct 28, 2013 @ 2:58pm 
Probably one day there will be a steam machine in form of an handheld
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 16, 2013 @ 7:10am