hl3 confirmed Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:15am
Steam Market: Spectacular Sucess or Fantastic Failure?
I'd like to DISCUSS what other people think about the market. Like if you want to have a DISCUSSION about your views on whether it's been an overall success, a limited success, a huge failure, or specific failure. Whatever the case, what are your issues with it and what do you like about it? I personally don't need any help on the issue. I have views on it of course but I'm more curious right now for other to DISCUSS their views. I don't think I need any tips either. But anyways, DISCUSS.
Showing 1-15 of 104 comments
< >
Satoru Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:22am 
Dunno I made like $15 for doing literally nothing so I got no problems with Steam giving me free money and for other people wanting, for some mystical reason, to buy up all my virtual junk. I don't care to spend the time/energy to exploit the arbitage in the market. I got other things to do.
Last edited by Satoru; Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:22am
hl3 confirmed Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:57am 
I'm kind of curious how much this cost them to basically send out there cards worth money. I assume much of the "money" stays in the internal system as people get a card, trade for wallet money, and buy another card then make a badge and remove that money from the system. The money never really leaves valve and all they have to give in the end is a badge which has no real monetary value. Plus they get the fee.

But in some cases people use that balance to buy games and so the money valve essentially gave away now exits their system and goes to developers/publishers.

This has to cost them something but I guess it's essentially "marketing" spending(pun intended).
Pheace [MCT] Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:07am 
You're completely missing the explanation of how you figure Valve gave money away, which is the flaw in what you are saying.

Money comes into the system from people to begin with, not Valve. Steam Wallet, bought games, bought items etc. That money circulates, with Steam taking cuts on trades in the meantime or games bought when it finally leaves the system.
Satoru Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:18am 
Every transaction always REMOVES Steam money from the system regardless of whether the seller or buyer is exploiting arbitage.

While yes I get 'magical' Steam wallet money for selling my virtual worthless cards, that money has to come from somewhere initially. User A puts in $10 and that only goes down as they buy my card for say $1, but I only get 85 cents. Thus 15 cents goes to Steam and is removed from the sytsem. I get my 85 cents (whopee!). But that 15 cents is 'gone' from the system.

Trading cards also never 'creates' value in the absolute sense. You cannot 'create' Steam Wallet money from cards. In order to make a purchase, a user must input money into the system from externally. Aka i fyou have no steam wallet money, and I have a card, there i sno way for us to 'create' steam wallet money out of thin air. If the Market was a closed system, then money and cards would be traded up until the point that no steam wallet money existed, and the market would collapse.

Every transaction decreases the amount of steam wallet in the system. Thus in order to sustain card trading people must continually pump in more money into the system by definition.
Last edited by Satoru; Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:20am
♫TGC> The Great Cornholio! Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:26am 
It's a great success. Since people spend enough money on those things.

It would be a faillure if it would hardly be used.
hl3 confirmed Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:57am 
Well If I buy a humble bundle for 1$ and get cards worth much more...
Last edited by hl3 confirmed; Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:57am
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:58am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Every transaction always REMOVES Steam money from the system regardless of whether the seller or buyer is exploiting arbitage.

While yes I get 'magical' Steam wallet money for selling my virtual worthless cards, that money has to come from somewhere initially. User A puts in $10 and that only goes down as they buy my card for say $1, but I only get 85 cents. Thus 15 cents goes to Steam and is removed from the sytsem. I get my 85 cents (whopee!). But that 15 cents is 'gone' from the system.

Trading cards also never 'creates' value in the absolute sense. You cannot 'create' Steam Wallet money from cards. In order to make a purchase, a user must input money into the system from externally. Aka i fyou have no steam wallet money, and I have a card, there i sno way for us to 'create' steam wallet money out of thin air. If the Market was a closed system, then money and cards would be traded up until the point that no steam wallet money existed, and the market would collapse.

Every transaction decreases the amount of steam wallet in the system. Thus in order to sustain card trading people must continually pump in more money into the system by definition.


Well yea of course, everytime money is spent its gone, but so what? Everyone who needs to get paid gets paid, and thats all that matters in the end;)
Last edited by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™; Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:59am
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:58am 
Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
Well If I buy a humble bundle for 1$ and get cards worth much more...

.. yes and that is how you devalue the card price.


Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ #idle:
Well it does create steam wallet money-_-, people fill their wallet using their creditcard/paypal to buythings on the market. Doesn't matter if a transaction removes steam money from the system, steam money is just a gift card type storage.

Steam money converts 1:1 to real life money.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:59am
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:59am 
Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
Well If I buy a humble bundle for 1$ and get cards worth much more...

.. yes and that is how you devalue the card price.

Most games don't have cards.
hl3 confirmed Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:00am 
To a certain extent. I do see the price go down on cards from games that are included in the bundle. I've seen some go from 0.40 to 0.15. But even still you come out ahead due to the number of cards and that multiple games give you cards.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:00am 
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ #idle:

.. yes and that is how you devalue the card price.

Most games don't have cards.

Thanks captain obvious, I was talking about games that have cards that make appearances in bundles.

Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
To a certain extent. I do see the price go down on cards from games that are included in the bundle. I've seen some go from 0.40 to 0.15. But even still you come out ahead due to the number of cards and that multiple games give you cards.

and? Good job you manage to make money at the expense of the developers. People still have to put money in to the system in order to buy your cards.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:01am
hl3 confirmed Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:02am 
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ #idle:

.. yes and that is how you devalue the card price.

Most games don't have cards.

That's fine. I only need 1 or two from the bundle for a profit. Or to offset the cost if I pay above average.
Satoru Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:02am 
Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
Well If I buy a humble bundle for 0.01 and get cards worth much more...

Again that's not relevant.

Steam wallet money cannot be 'created'. It must be INPUTTED into the system via Paypal/credit card or whatever.

Steam can give everyone 1 BILLION cards. It makes no difference unless people actually input Steam Wallet money into the system externally. Basically think of it like this.

If everyone on Steam had 100 cards but no Steam Wallet money. There is no way for the system to 'create' steam wallet cash JUST by trading cards. We can only trade the cards around. The Market gives you the 'perception' of creating money but in reality, it cannot do that.

Say I input $1 into the system. I buy your card for $1. You get 85 cents as steam takes 15. You buy another card for 85 cents, the seller gets 72 cents. So forth until that $1 is eventually exhausted. Note that in this chain, other than the $1 I put in originally, no actual 'value' is created in the system. I can't create Steam Wallet money unless it's placed into the system externally.

You can buy up all the Humble Bundles you want and create milliions of cards. But that doesn't generate SteamWallet money by itself.
Last edited by Satoru; Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:03am
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:02am 
Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ #idle:

Most games don't have cards.

That's fine. I only need 1 or two from the bundle for a profit. Or to offset the cost if I pay above average.

What is your point?
Satoru Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:04am 
Originally posted by {Beep Boop:
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ #idle:

Most games don't have cards.

That's fine. I only need 1 or two from the bundle for a profit. Or to offset the cost if I pay above average.

You're mistaking local arbitage with the economy of the market. Steam Wallet doesn't work that way.
Last edited by Satoru; Oct 11, 2013 @ 9:04am
Showing 1-15 of 104 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:15am
Posts: 104