No One Oct 10, 2013 @ 9:02pm
did valve drop the ball ?
wandering the web and reading what some have said it would seem there is little real intrest in well anything valve has show recently . a linux tweak ... not a real original os . a pc kit line not a real "system" and a controller that might only be useable on portal 3 (if it ever gets made)

i half joking asked in another thread if valve hired people who got fired from microsoft . but i think its not a question of if but how many . did these guys previously think the kinect was a good idea or did they work on the zune? i think a few made those stupid surface commercials that made no sense ...

the only reason some pretend to like all this stuff is they want into the hardware beta . people like free stuff .
Showing 1-15 of 108 comments
< >
aiusepsi Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:04pm 
Saying that it's disappointing that Valve aren't releasing a "real original OS" shows that you don't know what you're talking about. Nobody intending to release a commercial product this decade would write an OS from scratch.

Even the "new" mobile operating systems are based on old foundations. Android is Linux, iOS is based on OS X which is based on Nextstep which is based on Mach, and Windows Phone 8 uses the Windows NT kernel. All these things date back at least 15 years.
XingHua31 Oct 10, 2013 @ 11:08pm 
I don't know. I think Valve will probably fail with the Steam Boxes, but that's just my opinion.. :P
Black Blade Oct 11, 2013 @ 3:22am 
Well i don't think they will really fail with it... its mostly a PC just made to be small and nicer you don't even really need it... and as Valve is letting other companies to make it
I guess if they lose the lost is on the company that did not sell the SteamBox... so if that is so.. then they can only earn from it (but i really have no clue) as i think its like when microsoft sells there windows with a PC... Windows will not lose money on a PC that did not sell they all ready sell the OS for that PC

Abut the controller been able only to play Portal 3... did you even read it? the point of it is to play any game also one that so far work with a keyboard and mouse

Abut the Kinect i think its really a great idea... the problem is its a new thing and games just did not work for it, games that were made usually made more for kids... or family taking it too far and not using it poptinsel and that is why its seem not good

So really before you come and comment here i think you better read a little more... as the part you talk abut the controller show you did not really read abut it....
Last edited by Black Blade; Oct 11, 2013 @ 3:23am
[HSG] Dash Dash Oct 11, 2013 @ 4:10am 
I'm looking foward to see what steam has up their sleeve, I have yet to be dissapointed.
Ruoska-Jari Oct 11, 2013 @ 5:37am 
We will see, but I hope that they do good job with it and hold on the release until everything's perfect
Black Blade Oct 11, 2013 @ 5:39am 
Originally posted by Blitzkrieg Bob:
We will see, but I hope that they do good job with it and hold on the release until everything's perfect
Well i a little hope that its not going to be 100% perfect in the beta... then cant report if i get a bug XD
♫TGC> The Great Cornholio! Oct 11, 2013 @ 5:44am 
Originally posted by No One:
the only reason some pretend to like all this stuff is they want into the hardware beta . people like free stuff .
In that case, they should read the hardware beta agreement again.
I think there was this line about "additional costs", and it being "your own responsibility" somewhere in there... I wonder how free those items would actually be then...

At least I didn't see any mentions about a HumancentiPad in the agreement...
Black Blade Oct 11, 2013 @ 5:51am 
Originally posted by ♫TGC> The Grizzly Cousin:
I think there was this line about "additional costs", and it being "your own responsibility" somewhere in there... I wonder how free those items would actually be then...

Well that cost is abut when you get it send from a country to country some have extra cost like in my country i'll get abut 50% Tax on a item that is higher then 75$ (what the SteamBox is going to be i will guess) but i did sighup because i do want to test it... and try it out as well and willing to pay that 50% of the SteamBox cost to test it out to the limit
Spawn of Totoro Oct 11, 2013 @ 6:40am 
Originally posted by ♫TGC> The Grizzly Cousin:

Yes, you are required to pay local taxes (as required by the law where you live). In the US, we will still have to pay taxes on the Steam Machine, even though it is free. If you win something in a contest, you are still required to pay state and federal tax. It is classified as income, I believe.

As the Steam Machine may contain a Titan Card, that card alone retails for around $1,000
Navzar Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:06am 
probably Valve will probably fail with the Steam Boxes
Sierra Oscar Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:20am 
People got this silly idea into their head that Valve were releasing a new console to solely compete with the PS3 / Xbox One and the likes.

That's not necessarily what the Steam Machine is about.
Last edited by Sierra Oscar; Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:21am
Kuroimaho Oct 11, 2013 @ 7:35am 
Both Steam OS and Steam Machine is happening at the right time. The next gen consoles are PCs and mediocre ones at best. That's why steam machine might work out really well.

Valve doesn't have to create an OS or a console from scratch, it could be enough if they make things much easier for the developers, while offering something with more freedom than the consoles at a similar price.

The siruation reminds me to what happened with the IBM PC, valve might give things enough push that events take a similar course.

I am really looking forward to how it works out.
♫TGC> The Great Cornholio! Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:19am 
The way I see it that Steambox will make PC gaming easier. It'll basically work like a console.
I'd say that's a win for the PC gaming market, even if it won't be a giant competitor against consoles.

And the OS, well, sure they're not going to build one from scratch. Is that really necessary? Just so they can say "we built it from scratch, look at how awesome we are"?
I'm sure they already have enough work rewriting an existing OS...
Last edited by ♫TGC> The Great Cornholio!; Oct 11, 2013 @ 8:20am
Tito Shivan Oct 11, 2013 @ 10:35am 
If you want a similar concept of what Steam is trying to do With the Steam Machines, you've got to think Apple & iTunes.

Apple Wants iTunes 'to be everywhere'
You have a mac you have iTunes, you get an ipod you have iTunes, an iPhone?... iTunes is there.
iTunes everywhere, wherever you go there's your music, playlists, podcasts... All synced and at hand's reach.

But. You can't put iTunes on a TV. You need 'something' to put iTunes on your TV.
The AppleTV.

That's what Valve aims for with the Steam Machines. It's not an Xbox, it's a SteamTV kind of plug&play device. They've been targeting making Steam to be as much 'device agnostic' as possible. Just like iTunes.

You have a PC, you have Steam, You have a Mac you have Steam, Linux? Steam's in there. Even on your Smartphone.
But you can't put Steam on a TV. That's where "SteamTV" comes into play.

And you have to consider all of this a long, long term endeavour. They're not looking to do a blast on the next year, or the following one
Last edited by Tito Shivan; Oct 11, 2013 @ 10:36am
No One Oct 11, 2013 @ 6:01pm 
tito shivan thats a fair point . but it comes down to content . im NOT saying valve is like microsoft at E3 but im not seeing a "release line up" sure anything that runs linux should be supported by steam machines but more info on things they will support would be nice .

also how much freedom is given to the user ? built on linux dont mean its has the same freedom as a pc with linux installed on it .

since there are multiple machines will they all have the same number of connections ? the only reason i say this is that even though the specs seem more like a pc it sounds like a entertainment hub . and connected to my tv it may contend with other devices . you mentioned a apple tv but there are more things like cable/satalite or roku(competitor to apple tv) and dvr and a console or 2 . thats alot of wires and not everything gets connected with a hdmi . maybe this is a dumb question but can i get a nonoptimised diagram for were it fits in the living room ... you know assuming i have to much stuff connected to my tv
Last edited by No One; Oct 11, 2013 @ 6:01pm
Showing 1-15 of 108 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 10, 2013 @ 9:02pm