traykey Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:33am
Worried about the increase of Indie titles/games
Been a Steam member for a number of years now.
I find myself seeing an ever more amount of these games apppearing.
It would be nice to seperate Indie and non Indie games more clearly on the steam site imo.
I,ve not posted to have a bash or start a flame war.I understand people like Indie and Early access game.But they are not for everyone.Like i said It would be nice to see games more clearly listed.So that users can find what they are looking for easier.
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
One of Us, One of Us!!!!! Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:37am 
it is a travesty the amount of crap from Kickstarter is flooding steam instead of good AAA titles that should be on steam
One of Us, One of Us!!!!! Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:38am 
And don't even get me started on this "early access" ♥♥♥♥. in the old days a dev would finish a game THEN release it!

I guess I'm old fasioned.
Last edited by One of Us, One of Us!!!!!; Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:40am
Pforschie Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:43am 
They took our jobs!

no you´r just acting ignorant. At least the "early access" ones tell you that they aren´t ready. Many AAA don´t even bother.
In the end those are all games and I don´t care if they are from a big publisher or not.. they just have to be good.
Dan0964 Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:29am 
Separate Indie and non Indie games would be a welcome feature
ReBoot Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:40am 
I doubt that the amount of Indies is decreasing the amount of A titles. So no problem here.
Jade Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:49am 
Originally posted by {E.B.N} Painted Pooch 2.0:
instead of good AAA titles that should be on steam

I don't understand your complaint. Indie games aren't replacing AAA games on Steam. Even if all indie games were removed we wouldn't suddenly get more AAA titles.
Cheechako Nov 6, 2013 @ 5:11am 
I'm worried about climate change. I'm worried about a lot of other global issues. Stuff on Steam? Not so much. I opted in to all this. If it ain't an indie game, it is Scrabble with hot-seat ONLY multiplayer. Steam store and sale pages are like the impulse buy section at the grocery store.

Since I have bought a few indie games that I enjoy very much and since I have zero desire to play a military-based FPS, I fail to see how the separation of indie games helps me find things easier. Should I ask that military FPS be separated out? At least indie is a category that shows up as a tag on the games. The ones I prefer not to see are all lumped into "Action".

I've been a long-time user of Steam too. Lately, I've noticed more. I've noticed more indie games and more early access (that one is kinda new). I've noticed more current gen and next gen games. I've noticed more DLC and sequels and so on. I've noticed more mods and more Workshop support. I've noticed more ports from consoles and even phones. Yeah, I've been on Steam a while now, and I've noticed a lot more.
Last edited by Cheechako; Nov 6, 2013 @ 5:14am
Discussions_Acc Nov 6, 2013 @ 2:13pm 
Is this some kind of digital apartheid?

Originally posted by traykey:
I understand people like Indie and Early access game.But they are not for everyone.Like i said It would be nice to see games more clearly listed.So that users can find what they are looking for easier.
"Oh my god! It's an indie game! I can't possibly enjoy it so get it out of my sight! Forbid them to use our restrooms!"

It's so ridiculous and can't even find words.
Just because the game wasn't paid for by a publisher automatically makes it impossible to enjoy for you? Really? You'd rather have a game like Stalin vs. Martians in your sight than a universally acclaimed indie title?

I hope you don't play Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Portal or anything. Because you know, they are Indie games so they must be bad.
traykey Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:01pm 
I will make my point again as stated in my original post, i'm not out to cause a flame war, my opinion of indie games is irrelevant, it would just be nice to seperate them in the same way that pc/linux/mac are, and even xbox live list indie games seperately. For those that are wondering yes I have played indie games and do have some in my games list at the moment.
Falro the Great Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:15pm 
Originally posted by traykey:
I will make my point again as stated in my original post, i'm not out to cause a flame war, my opinion of indie games is irrelevant, it would just be nice to seperate them in the same way that pc/linux/mac are, and even xbox live list indie games seperately. For those that are wondering yes I have played indie games and do have some in my games list at the moment.
The problem is, there are so many indie games, and they are all so different, that sorting them into a seperate category would be like seperating dogs into "Bulldog" and "Everything else". It just doesn't make any sense. And anyway, every indie game has the tag "Indie", even on mouseover.
Last edited by Falro the Great; Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:30pm
Cheechako Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:16pm 
I will make my point again. Look at any list of games here on Steam, such as the current sale.

Indie games are marked Indie. Early Access are marked Early Access.

Military FPS? Action.
Port from iOS? Who knows?
Retro re-release that only runs in 1024x768? Who knows?
Game with possible micro-transactions? Who knows?

Steam is out to push sales and make profits. We get more and more and more. That's a lot to sort through, but it results in more. If you don't like how Steam jumps on trends and pushes everything and anything they can monetize, then there are "alternatives" like Origin and whatnot.

Your OP claimed that moving indie titles off to their own area would help users find things easier. I fail to see how this will make anything easier for me. All I see is someone saying, "Some people don't like certain types of games so we need to move those off to the side."
Last edited by Cheechako; Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:28pm
traykey Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:46pm 
Ahh, I see what you are saying Cheechako.
And I agree with you.Somewhere along the way i forgot the fun i used to have looking for fun things to play.My intentions was only to collect thoughts on refining the seach to make things easier to find.I meant not to offend anyone.I suppose if i had my way,we would have a thousand buttons to press to refine things lol.Not at all helpful i guess.
Cheechako Nov 6, 2013 @ 4:00pm 
In a perfect world, Steam would offer enough filters so we can arange lists of games as we desire.

However, this has always seemed to fail in practice. Again, take a look at the Strategy category: You can find Civ 5 and you can also find a retro Scrabble without Internet. Both are Strategy games, but I really think if you are looking for one, you are not looking for the other.

I mentioned how far reaching "Action" is. Indie and Early Access are a bit easier to define, but these are not genres. They are not OS either; if Steam sells Linux-only games, it would be nice to offer some user preference to hide these. However, this is not simple opinion about a type of game. I own an Android phone. I don't shop the Apple store for apps. They will NEVER function on my phone. Any OS filter is along the same lines.

Of course, there are some users that don't like a certain type of game or indie or whatever. It would be trivial for Steam to add a user setting to hide Indie games, for example - one simple checkbox.

However, this is basically asking Steam to hide some of the impulse-buy items from potential customers - the things that people are buying. Do you really think they will do that?
the Portaller Nov 6, 2013 @ 8:29pm 
I'm going to sum up my opinion by saying we would have to put Half-Life in that indie category. After all, Valve was very small and underfunded when they made it.
SinisterSlay Nov 6, 2013 @ 8:54pm 
I only want the indie games, the AAA games are all boring rehashes of each other anyways.
Showing 1-15 of 62 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 6, 2013 @ 3:33am