HereMeeGo Nov 9, 2013 @ 12:29am
Steam Machine or Build-Your-Own?
You probably all know by now that the Steam Machine(SM) is real. And that it is coming to our living rooms very, very soon. Now, what really struck me was that the specifications of this bad boy are top-notch; with a graphics card like the GTX Titan, an Intel i7 processor, and 1TB worth of memory. But the cool thing about it all is that there won't be only one "version" of the Steam Machine. Most likely, you can practically build your own Steam Machine. Just ask which components you want in your SM(i5 or i3 processor instead of i7, GTX 780 graphics card instead of Titan, etc.). So, the SM will vary according to each person.

Now, at this rate, is it worth it to build your own PC or just get a SM and upgrade it on the go, just like a PC? Yes, there would be a lot more customization involved when it comes to a PC. You could just build a PC if you really want it "personal". And, you could probably tweak your settings according to your own, as long as you run on Windows or Linux. The SM, on the other hand will have its own OS, the SteamOS(of course...). We haven't actually seen much of the SteamOS so far, so we don't know what to expect of it but it just might be less customizable as Windows or anything since the SM is technically a "console". So if you wanted something to run games on, you might as well go for a SM.

I'm pretty torn in between getting a PC or jumping on the Steam Machine Wagon(I don't know why but this sounds so cool); especially because I just joined the PC gaming community fairly recently. I've always played on consoles back then, simply because I didn't have any "smarts" when it came to building a PC. As of now, I have a decent PC, I could run current video games at max settings but I still plan to build a new PC because of the turn of a new generation in the PC world. Anyway, that's just what I've been wondering about the new generation. Sorry for typing such a long post but kudos if you have made it this far without being bored yet. Many thanks, and I would love to hear your opinions on the topic!
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Kargor Nov 9, 2013 @ 1:52am 
For me, it depends on what they are delivering (and whether you can even buy them around here).

I am planning to make my next HTPC a "game-capable" one (since I've bought a gamepad some time back, and it's actually a viable option to play games).

This could, of course, be a "Steam machine" if they offer a suitable one at a reasonable price -- although I do have a reasonably nice HTPC case that even takes full ATX mainboards and power supplies, alongside one 5,25" optical drive and mounting options for 2 harddisks (like every other box my HTPC runs on a RAID-1), so other than cooling there's little limit on the build-my-own either.

On a Steambox, I would replace the preinstalled Linux with a Win7, though. Not only do you get BluRay players, but there's an infinitely larger number of games available as well. And the software quality is generally much better.
Last edited by Kargor; Nov 9, 2013 @ 1:54am
Kamina Nov 9, 2013 @ 3:06am 
I'm building a new PC in a week.

If they sell the case, I'd go for it as a gaming HTPC.
Dog Nov 9, 2013 @ 3:12am 
Can you use Steam Machines to upgrade desktops? like dismantle them if it's cheaper than buying the parts themselves.

Otherwise there's no incentive whatsoever to get one.
coldalbert Nov 9, 2013 @ 3:19am 
Originally posted by HereMeeGo:
You probably all know by now that the Steam Machine(SM) is real. And that it is coming to our living rooms very, very soon. Now, what really struck me was that the specifications of this bad boy are top-notch; with a graphics card like the GTX Titan, an Intel i7 processor, and 1TB worth of memory. But the cool thing about it all is that there won't be only one "version" of the Steam Machine. Most likely, you can practically build your own Steam Machine. Just ask which components you want in your SM(i5 or i3 processor instead of i7, GTX 780 graphics card instead of Titan, etc.). So, the SM will vary according to each person.

Now, at this rate, is it worth it to build your own PC or just get a SM and upgrade it on the go, just like a PC? Yes, there would be a lot more customization involved when it comes to a PC. You could just build a PC if you really want it "personal". And, you could probably tweak your settings according to your own, as long as you run on Windows or Linux. The SM, on the other hand will have its own OS, the SteamOS(of course...). We haven't actually seen much of the SteamOS so far, so we don't know what to expect of it but it just might be less customizable as Windows or anything since the SM is technically a "console". So if you wanted something to run games on, you might as well go for a SM.

I'm pretty torn in between getting a PC or jumping on the Steam Machine Wagon(I don't know why but this sounds so cool); especially because I just joined the PC gaming community fairly recently. I've always played on consoles back then, simply because I didn't have any "smarts" when it came to building a PC. As of now, I have a decent PC, I could run current video games at max settings but I still plan to build a new PC because of the turn of a new generation in the PC world. Anyway, that's just what I've been wondering about the new generation. Sorry for typing such a long post but kudos if you have made it this far without being bored yet. Many thanks, and I would love to hear your opinions on the topic!
RaheemWala Nov 9, 2013 @ 3:32am 
i just built my pc
riffahlc175 Nov 9, 2013 @ 8:16am 
I built my first pc in 2007, built three more in 2008 and haven't looked back. I like the customization of it. The ability to pick and choose, albeit informed and wisely. I'll stick with this and wait and see what the SM has to offer.
Ganger Nov 9, 2013 @ 1:00pm 
I believe the steambox will be the size of a console, so parts will be alot smaller to the standard PC parts. The plus side to steamboxes will be.

1. Work out of the box
2. All future steam games will work flawlessey on all steamboxes without problems
3. Steambox parts should be cheaper that normal PC parts
SpiRiT_ Nov 9, 2013 @ 2:08pm 
what?
camPo_won #allied-gamers.com Nov 9, 2013 @ 6:58pm 
hi
R.I.P. Dodger Nov 9, 2013 @ 7:51pm 
Originally posted by HereMeeGo:
Steam Machine or Build-Your-Own?

Both. Probably end up building a new high-end rig late next year. While buying a lightweight streaming/arcade model when available. Either way, going to put the OS on my current living room computer.

Originally posted by Ganger:
....so parts will be alot smaller to the standard PC parts....

Steam Machines will comprise of standard PC parts.

2. All future steam games will work flawlessey on all steamboxes without problems
3. Steambox parts should be cheaper that normal PC parts

2. Not every game will work on every machine. The lower tier machines will be sufficient for streams from a main rig, and running less demanding games. Valve has even mentioned designs for some sort game indexing system. Telling consumers what games their machine is capable of running, and what needs upgrading in the event of inadequacies.

3. Again they will be normal PC parts. Though, in theory a successful push into the console market could drive the price of standardized PC components down.

edit: fixed for spelling
Last edited by R.I.P. Dodger; Nov 9, 2013 @ 8:39pm
No One Nov 9, 2013 @ 11:07pm 
streaming games is a joke . because a signal wont be traveling faster than the speed of light and the posistion of the user vs the server creates input lag . there is no way around it . you ever watch the news and see some one on location some place thats just on the other side of the U.S ? there is a 3 sec delay . in many games 1.5 sec delay will be noticeable and cause problems for users and how many servers would valve use for this?

how much would the service cost ? rent next gen streaming or just go buy a next gen system ?

other than that the idea of a standerdized hardware market for pc gaming is nice
Jhemp12 Nov 9, 2013 @ 11:48pm 
i could just slap a sticker that says steam machine on my pc and call it a steam machine..i don't see how it is any different than my current pc that i built..basically steam is just building a pc for you kinda like alienware and ibuypower..i dont see the big deal.
Ganger Nov 10, 2013 @ 12:04am 
I could be wrong on this but im under the impression that the steamboxes won't even look like PC's but will look more like a console that can be place under your TV.

I can't see the steamboxes being massive alienware type PC's that sit next to your TV in the front room. Plus I don't believe you will be able to put your PC parts into a steambox if the steambox is the size of a console.
Black Blade (Card Rain) Nov 10, 2013 @ 4:08am 
Originally posted by Ganger:
I could be wrong on this but im under the impression that the steamboxes won't even look like PC's but will look more like a console that can be place under your TV.

I can't see the steamboxes being massive alienware type PC's that sit next to your TV in the front room. Plus I don't believe you will be able to put your PC parts into a steambox if the steambox is the size of a console.
These is abut it may look like in a few sites:
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2013/11/steamboxhedimg618pxhedimg.jpg
But as there are a few that makes it i guess there will be many looks to it
Dog Nov 10, 2013 @ 4:15am 
Originally posted by Quick Ben:
Steam Machines will comprise of standard PC parts.

And how do we know this for sure, is there any official source to indicate that they do? because as previously stated depending on price I'd only use it to upgrade my PC.
Showing 1-15 of 38 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Nov 9, 2013 @ 12:29am