Jamie Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:11am
Why did you originally install Steam?
Just curious how people got into using Steam. Was there a specific game you wanted, or maybe you had bought a physical game that required a Steam account? Or perhaps you just wanted to see what all the fuss was about?

I remember, back in the day, I heard a lot about Audiosurf, and Steam seemed like the easiest way to get it at the time.
Showing 1-15 of 3,478 comments
< >
Old Snake Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:12am 
For TF2, but I don't play that anymore.
100% Recycled Awesome Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:14am 
Originally posted by Delphox:
For TF2, but I don't play that anymore.

Me too, but I do still play that.
Ganger Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:41am 
Well back in 2003; the old WON servers were going too be closed down in 2004 and all valve's online games would then moved over too steam. Steam was the only place to play counter strike and CS players really had no choice but to install steam.

So it was CS that got me onto steam.
Last edited by Ganger; Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:42am
BloodShed Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:43am 
The WON was getting shutdown and Steam was future for Half-Life (and other Valve games) Multiplayer.
And Valve gave anyone at the time who registered their HL cd-key the entire back catalog of games on steam.
agm.wallace Nov 7, 2013 @ 12:46pm 
I originally instaled steam to get the sims 3 as my computer did not have a cd drive
Last edited by agm.wallace; Nov 7, 2013 @ 12:46pm
Koohandluke Nov 7, 2013 @ 1:35pm 
it was left 4 dead for me. was last pc game i paid for retail.
thought it was kinda cool but remeber being scared to buy any games . i wasnt sure how it worked did i own the game ? can i download it and make a disk? what if i change computers? but mass effect was on sale one day and had to try it. now im 200+ games and havent paid for a pc game in a store in years and never will again. ty steam for allowing me to spend my money on a whim at any moment..
Last edited by Koohandluke; Nov 7, 2013 @ 1:38pm
Kargor Nov 7, 2013 @ 1:44pm 
Don't ask me which one was first, but until I recently I had an "idle" Steam account with two games on it: one was "DiRT 2", which came bundled with my gfx board and I couldn't even complete the first race since I can't drive in this game, and the other one was "Portal" which Valve gave away for some Linux promotion thingy, IIRC.

So, the account was just there but never used, until at some point I ordered another set of games from Amazon, and received two boxes with Steam keys. Since this time around I had actually bought the games, so it was time to unearth that old account. Haven't ordered from Amazon ever since.
bns.199900 Nov 7, 2013 @ 1:50pm 
Originally posted by Koohandluke:
thought it was kinda cool but remeber being scared to buy any games . i wasnt sure how it worked did i own the game ? can i download it and make a disk? what if i change computers? but mass effect was on sale one day and had to try it. now im 200+ games and havent paid for a pc game in a store in years and never will again. ty steam for allowing me to spend my money on a whim at any moment..

Cheers! For me it was Half Life 2.
Sir Senovan of the Holy Spear Nov 7, 2013 @ 2:32pm 
i got my acount when steam offered portal for free for anyone with a steam account
kirbman101 Nov 7, 2013 @ 2:33pm 
Valve was offering Portal for free and I had wanted it for a while.
Jamie Nov 7, 2013 @ 2:49pm 
thought it was kinda cool but remeber being scared to buy any games . i wasnt sure how it worked did i own the game ? can i download it and make a disk? what if i change computers? but mass effect was on sale one day and had to try it. now im 200+ games and havent paid for a pc game in a store in years and never will again. ty steam for allowing me to spend my money on a whim at any moment..:B1:

Haha! Yep, same. Haven't bought a retail game in a long, long time, and all those daily/weekly/holiday sales mean I have a large collection of games that I've never even booted up. Stupid life, getting in the way of gaming time.
Jamie Nov 7, 2013 @ 2:51pm 
Originally posted by Kargor:
Don't ask me which one was first, but until I recently I had an "idle" Steam account with two games on it: one was "DiRT 2", which came bundled with my gfx board and I couldn't even complete the first race since I can't drive in this game, and the other one was "Portal" which Valve gave away for some Linux promotion thingy, IIRC.

So, the account was just there but never used, until at some point I ordered another set of games from Amazon, and received two boxes with Steam keys. Since this time around I had actually bought the games, so it was time to unearth that old account. Haven't ordered from Amazon ever since.

DiRT is indeed ridiculously difficult. I think I got that on OnLive (maybe it was DiRT 3), back when that was something I was messing around with. If I remember correctly, I spent most of my time repeatedly crashing into trees.
Koohandluke Nov 7, 2013 @ 3:39pm 
Originally posted by Pootiki:

Haha! Yep, same. Haven't bought a retail game in a long, long time, and all those daily/weekly/holiday sales mean I have a large collection of games that I've never even booted up. Stupid life, getting in the way of gaming time.
LOL yea so many unplayed or half played games..but when you see that big fat 50% off tag on games its gota have it. geten me sum lewts..
raron Nov 7, 2013 @ 4:45pm 
If memory serves (and I think it does), I got Steam when I bought the "Orange box" retail, some 6 years ago. It had Half Life 2 included (and others, but HL2 for me. Oh, and Portal! Billiant game that one!).
Dodger Nov 7, 2013 @ 4:54pm 
When I brought Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition. I still have the t-shirt, never worn.
Showing 1-15 of 3,478 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50