2MuchCoffeeMan Jan 11 @ 2:59am
Do you want more communication from valve ?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/10/valve-talks-steamos-and-diretide-defends-communication/#more-183761

The articale in question went about how steam thinks we want less communication, and that they will fix things, even without having the feeling they need to inform us here......

Well...... for me....... this article made me very sad, its for me, one of the things that annoys me the most of valve, doing stuff, without telling us, or without any clear communication .....(ive must have been a 7 year happy costumer, but this year, you can just feel that valve is caring less about us.... and more about the cold hard numbers of sales)

Like last year, how it went with diretide/forstivus........ we all were excited about frostivus, lets have some greevil brawling, but afterall, we got stuck with a boring tower defense game, that nobody felt good about, except for farming items...... (nothing wrong with changing things, but atleast tel lus why ?, cuz everyone wanted the greevil event"frostivus")

imo, that article, made me feel that valve has gotten so big, they simply dont care anymore baout what we "the gamers" want, the gamers that still pay their bills, the gamers that made them as big as they are now, the gamers, that were prepared to die for valve, to defend them against company's like EA.........

but now, after reading this, the question arises with me, what is still the difference between the behavior valve is showing here, just saying blatantly, we "the gamers" dont want to hear baout stuff in the fututre, i dont know what they think we are, but i felt like i was referred as, that guy that will buy our games anyway, no matter what... andthats the whole idea why i dont buy EA games anymore...... and to come back to, when i read the article, it just felt, that valve has gotten the "new" EA..............

we make games, buy them if you want, we dont care, well buy all frachises, and ruin them so you dont have anything else to play, well, im one of those persons, that really felt offended by all the things, that were stated in the article.....

so, is your opinion too, that you dont care what will happen in the future ? dont you like to read, why events are cancelled ? or if they even have changed ? saying we dont "want" that info, is just plain, lying through your teeth...... i cant see it as anything else ....
Last edited by 2MuchCoffeeMan; Jan 11 @ 3:01am
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
Aconight Jan 11 @ 4:22am 
I think theproblem with valves communication strategy stems from history. They announced HL3 and then havent been able to deliver it either on time or in the years following. This has taunted them for the last 7 years. They annouced something and werent able to deliver. If you read the RPS interview then its clear that avoiding the same situation again is what they are striving for.

They would rather talk less and work more to make sure that the product is delivered. They would rather wait until it is close to finished to announce it to cut down on 'valve time' and to make sure they arent announcing something that wont come out.

To call them the new EA is unfair in my eyes. I dont think i need to give examples to anyone here about how EA has acted in some truly evil ways. Valve has a communication issue. It doesnt compare.

A new lesson does need to be learned though. While i can appreciate them not wanting to open the floodgates of customers begging for information about their latest or favourite games, a small update or just a message saying 'Hey, we know whats going on and we are listening and working on it. Will give you more info soon!' to pacify the masses wouldnt go amiss.

Just make it more obvious that you're there valve. You dont have to promise anything, just let us know that your working on something and have us in mind in the long term. Im not talking about for every patch but if theres a problem, or your working on something exciting (even if you dont finish it, your just mucking around and seeing where it goes and what it involves into in the future [thats how portal was born, right?]) it would just be nice to know that your there.
2MuchCoffeeMan Jan 11 @ 4:33am 
well....... i didnt really mean, they are already that, "the new EA" but im so afraid they will be, in the future, since this article gave me a really bad taste, i waso nly pointing out, that , it just feels to me, they are going that way, if they wont change abit in the communication part....

you are right too ofcourse, i can imagine why they gave up on it, but still, trying to ignore us, with the statement, that we want it this way, really makes " me" feel offended, since we are already sking for years for more proper and honest communication. perhaps its a bad example, but what happened with the latest dota event, is already one of those widely known examples that makes "us" the gamers feel, they jsut dont care or something ...

ofcourse, im not saying valve is already the "new EA" but if they keep on going like this, and with these utterly faulty statements, they will only push us further away than they already did.....

i wouldnt like it if valve would go the way like 90% of the other companys would go, since they actually support indie devs, have early acces games to help indie devs, i really liked using steam, compared to some other apps like this, i wont name names, steam runs great, is great, and hasnt so many problems as the others around.

yeah i dont know, perhaps there arent so many people thinking about his stuff as me .... or arent as bothered as much i guess. ..
Aconight Jan 11 @ 4:40am 
I'm one of those people that it doesnt both as much. I have faith in valve due to the organisational structure and because of their history. Diretide was a blip from my point of view. That being said, i remember when the Dota2 and TF2 blogs were updated monthly or more. Now it feels like eons can pass between updates.

Most game developers are doing weekly dev blogs and monthly video dev blogs these days because they recognise and appreciate that a customers thirst for knowledge comes from excitement for their product. They want to keep that excitement alive.

It would be really interesting if valve could do something like that. Maybe something like a video Dev blog a month, each month being a different game or department in valve. I would love to break through the thick outer shell and get just a peak of what its like inside.
Lostedge Jan 11 @ 4:48am 
Originally posted by 2MuchCoffeeMan:
The articale in question went about how steam thinks we want less communication

"Jeff Cain: I just think people would rather see action. They don’t necessarily care if we tell them we’re working on something so much as they see the results."

Umm, no. I would rather hear that you are doing something than hear nothing.
aiusepsi Jan 11 @ 4:59am 
Fairly recent example of Valve listening and communicating: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1787099106169030299

Scroll down a bit and you'll see:
Taylor Sherman [Valve] 16 Dec, 2013 @ 9:03pm
Hi Everyone -- thanks for the feedback, we'll begin working on this feature now!

"We need a global option for downloading while playing, then we can uncheck if we gonna play a multiplayer game"

Then a few days later: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1787099647277010228

• add global setting to allow downloads during gameplay, and change the per-app settings to be global/allow/deny.
Lostedge Jan 11 @ 5:22am 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
Fairly recent example of Valve listening and communicating: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1787099106169030299

Scroll down a bit and you'll see:
Taylor Sherman [Valve] 16 Dec, 2013 @ 9:03pm
Hi Everyone -- thanks for the feedback, we'll begin working on this feature now!

"We need a global option for downloading while playing, then we can uncheck if we gonna play a multiplayer game"

Then a few days later: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1787099647277010228

• add global setting to allow downloads during gameplay, and change the per-app settings to be global/allow/deny.

And that proves what? Even I had created a topic or two about the problem of game downloads stopping while launching a game. That was like 3 years ago ... and I have seen other people addressing the same issue.

That only proves that sometimes they might write something, and it is a miracle if that happens.
2point4 Jan 11 @ 6:58am 
Yeah, people have been asking for that feature for years and years now. So someone at Valve got bored and decided to read some comments for once and finally acknowledged that request. Woopty doo. Valve listens! ...hardly. Maybe one day they'll see all the feedback regarding group event notifications.

Just about a year or two back Valve was really involved with their community. You could always find guys roaming around in chat rooms and posting a lot on the forums. Then, for whatever reason, they collapsed inwards and you'll rarely see anything from them anymore. I mean, one source of guaranteed communication was them letting you know about Steam downtime.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784745

The last time they let anyone know about downtime was back in October.

My favorite part of the interview, though, was when they were asked a really meaty question and the marketing guys ended the thing. Also, OP...

Originally posted by 2MuchCoffeeMan:
the gamers, that were prepared to die for valve, to defend them against company's like EA.........

Don't do that. They're just like EA just like any other company is like EA. They all want your money and will do whatever they can to get it. Just because Valve used to be a little better about sugar-coating their intentions doesn't make them any better than any other company vying for your dollars. Don't die for any business unless it is your own and they don't need you to defend them nor will they treat you any better for doing so. This sort of allegiance towards businesses really needs to end.
Astrom Jan 11 @ 12:13pm 
Any communication would be satisfying.. right now it's tumbleweeds rolling through the seas of customer service.
CJT1988 Jan 12 @ 9:43am 
Valve has the right to keep their projects secret. They are not obligated to inform the world that they are working on Half-Life 3 or that they are working on a brand new feature for the Steam client. It is their prerogative.

What Valve needs to remember is that they are also running a store. If a game is about to be removed from Steam due to licensing issues or what not, they need to inform the customers. If Steam is under attack, they need to inform the customers.

Hate Electronic Arts all you want, OP. In the least, they keep the customers in the loop.
Jah Jan 12 @ 9:45am 
If you look any other dev, steam is pretty good to comunicate news about their stuff. Look about 2013 and all the annousement they did, pretty awesome !
2MuchCoffeeMan Jan 12 @ 9:51am 
Originally posted by CJT1988:
Valve has the right to keep their projects secret. They are not obligated to inform the world that they are working on Half-Life 3 or that they are working on a brand new feature for the Steam client. It is their prerogative.

What Valve needs to remember is that they are also running a store. If a game is about to be removed from Steam due to licensing issues or what not, they need to inform the customers. If Steam is under attack, they need to inform the customers.

Hate Electronic Arts all you want, OP. In the least, they keep the customers in the loop.

well, i dont exactly hate EA for their communication, but more for buying up game licenses and then never make the game, or make a bad version of what the initial dev could have done....

Ganger Jan 12 @ 12:21pm 
Originally posted by 2point4:
Don't do that. They're just like EA just like any other company is like EA. They all want your money and will do whatever they can to get it. Just because Valve used to be a little better about sugar-coating their intentions doesn't make them any better than any other company vying for your dollars. Don't die for any business unless it is your own and they don't need you to defend them nor will they treat you any better for doing so. This sort of allegiance towards businesses really needs to end.

I agree with '2point4' here, people shouldn't have any loyalty to any company. You should only buy products that are 1) good value 2) good quailty and never buy just because you love a said company.
2MuchCoffeeMan Jan 12 @ 12:22pm 
i buy it here, cuz i have the feeling i have somehting mroe with steam, than with any other retailer, so yeah, it does matter, since i buy the game here, while i could buy it anywhere else too for the same price....

so, liking, or not, does matter, hell, i didnt even buy bf4 , just because bf3 and origin and badcompany flopped so much imo.. while i loved all other bf related stuff, since bf1942
Jawaka Jan 12 @ 5:24pm 
Personally I'd love hearing from the Steam/Valve reps. Just seeing them post here on a regular basis would make me feel as if they do actually read our suggestions, comments and complaints. This is one of the things that I have to give Blizzard a ton of credit for. I may not always agree with their choices and decisions but they make themselves visible.
Syzygy[DK] Jan 12 @ 11:07pm 
Steam dont care about what we think, all they care about is money, if they did care they'd tell us why russians have the option to play outside of russians servers, now theres a lack of communication if ever ive seen one.
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 11 @ 2:59am