RawkitLauncher Dec 27, 2013 @ 3:57pm
How big do you think the Steam Box will become?
Do you think the Steam Box will be really popular or do you think it will fade away? I'm interested in what other people think of the Steam Box.
Showing 1-15 of 112 comments
< >
enamel Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:03pm 
I am hoping it stays the same size, I don't have a lot of space in my entertainment center.
TeKraken Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:11pm 
Originally posted by enamel:
I am hoping it stays the same size, I don't have a lot of space in my entertainment center.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34
John Bellairs Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:35pm 
Steam Box/OS has a zero percent chance of catching on anywhere.

It's compatible with less than 10% of all games on Steam, has no multimedia functions at all (not even DVD playback) and requires Secure Boot and an Nvidia GPU.

Not a chance in hell.
Mod God Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:56pm 
I think it's going to fail and possibly take Valve down with it. That would bring on a whole lot of legal problems as well. I say good if it has to redefine ownership of digital games.
enamel Dec 27, 2013 @ 4:58pm 
I think it will be like Steam. It will be called a failure at launch then slowly grow into a juggernaught that you can't imagine life without.
TeKraken Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:02pm 
Originally posted by Mic_Blades:
I think it's going to fail and possibly take Valve down with it. That would bring on a whole lot of legal problems as well. I say good if it has to redefine ownership of digital games.

I doubt it as Valve are only designing prototypes, the manufacturing is being farmed off to 3rd parties under licence to use the name "steambox".
Lenny the Bruce Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:28pm 
It will be more popular than it should be.

My guess? Steam Boxes generally sell to the same audiences that want the "ease of use" of an iPad rather than an Android/Windows 8 tablet.

Meanwhile, those of us with a friend or two who can build a computer, will just have them throw parts into a mini-ATX case. Or not. My computer is 4 years old, and with a cheap HDMI cable, it's suddenly a Steam Box that can run 99% of games on max settings. Amazing.

The Oculus Rift might be an actual evolution of technology. That's *the* interesting tech that *could* be a great addition to Steam games.
2point4 Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:42pm 
Originally posted by TeKraken:
I doubt it as Valve are only designing prototypes, the manufacturing is being farmed off to 3rd parties under licence to use the name "steambox".
Or, as they'd previously been known, a PC.
TeKraken Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Originally posted by 2point4:
Originally posted by TeKraken:
Or, as they'd previously been known, a PC.

Indeed. With a companion cube on it...
BLAMMO! Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:44pm 
Very good point.
No One Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:46pm 
the steam boxes are not made to any uniform configuration . unlike consoles every one is not the same . any xboxone is the same as another . every ps4 is the same as another ...ect . but the range of specs indicate that the steam boxes are ment for previous gen games (360/ps3) not current gen . even the one with a titan gpu will be out dated when you do a comparison to what the console hardware specs were when titans are needed for max settings . 3 years from now it wont even be able to run some new games at 30 fps . the pc market is a after thought for many developers .

they may be the easy solution for people who want a gaming rig but i wouldnt expect them to keep up with any custom build in a year or 2 . companies have to make them in advance so the hardware wont be new but people may pay new prices

the controller is where valve will make money . many (myself included) would buy one as soon as its released just to try it out .
Thoocy threw three grenades Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:46pm 
are they selling controllers yet for people that make their own steam box?
kangaskahn Dec 27, 2013 @ 5:59pm 
Probably huge
BDK (Banned) Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:05pm 
It's gonna fail pretty hard.
John Bellairs Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:33pm 
Originally posted by No One:
the controller is where valve will make money . many (myself included) would buy one as soon as its released just to try it out .
No one is clamoring for a hackable touchpad controller. Valve needs to step outside the Seattle bubble once in awhile.
Showing 1-15 of 112 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Dec 27, 2013 @ 3:57pm