Blackmast21 Dec 12, 2013 @ 5:05am
How long before steam takes over most of the gaming industry?
I mean come on, lets face it, a company that creates, sells and advertises games so well has got more potential than yet realised, as we speak that are expanding at an amazing rate, but this begs the question, how much faster and how much can they grow?
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Black Blade Dec 12, 2013 @ 5:33am 
They can grow and grow... but i really don't think it will ever take over every thing... Sony,Microsoft, and Nintendo (yes them 2) are yet strong players in the industry
Ne0 (Banned) Dec 12, 2013 @ 6:34am 
Steam OS will probably take over PC gaming, while Android OS takes over mobile gaming.
Long Live Linux !
(by take over I mean get >50% market share)
Peter Pan Dec 12, 2013 @ 7:44am 
Won't there be laws in place to prevent such a monopoly?
senseidongen Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:04am 
Originally posted by Peter Pan:
Won't there be laws in place to prevent such a monopoly?
Laws haven't stopped Intel gaining an 80% market share in the CPU market (yes, 80% - that is not a typo) so I guess not probably - If Valve are proven to undercut competitor's to the point of making a loss, then that is potentially something they could be done for... Though Sony and Microsoft both sold their last gen consoles at a loss and no one called them out on it...

In short, I wouldn't have thought so, unless they actively block competitors from entering the market, which is in opposition to Valve's policies of open-ness so I don't think that'll ever happen
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:05am 
Valve isn't forcing people on to the steam platform, so no it can and will not be a monopoly. If anything steam is the ultimate competitive pricing platform. The devs can even compete against themselves on steam by selling cheaper codes on their own website.

Some people like to say that steamworks is a vehicle for a steam monopoly future, but they completely forget that the developers chose to use steamworks, it was not forced upon them. They chose steamworks because it offers too good features to pass up.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:06am
Uknow2 Dec 12, 2013 @ 8:39am 
My answer is.. They can do ♥♥♥ they plices, nott that that bad! Thil the econnomy collapses worlwide not just usa! just do you homework then you know it weel happen! youtube tells you thing the "real" news wont! Enyoy :)
ChrisB Dec 12, 2013 @ 9:55am 
Originally posted by Ne0:
Steam OS will probably take over PC gaming, while Android OS takes over mobile gaming.
Long Live Linux !
No DirectX, no chance.
Jawaka Dec 12, 2013 @ 10:58am 
I don't see Steam ever getting that large. As long as they rely on other game developers to supply them with the products that they sell there will always be competition.
Mr.Cristian Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:26am 
Steam is just the middleman and they know it.The whole point of SteamOS and Steam Machines is to obtain the leverage that consoles have ; otherwise is just another distribution platform umong others,no matter how big and awesome they are. Right now they might be on top of the world,but if the other big dogs ,like Ubisoft ,Square Enix and AMD cut a deal with EA/Origin to create a common distribution platform,it will mean the end of Steam as we know it( just a hipothesis).

Personally,as opposed to a console , I don't see what I would gain by buying a Steam Machine,when I already own a pc.

What would be the point installing the SteamOS,when I already have an OS witch is runnning pretty good,I can play my games in SLI/Stereoscopic hassle free,and the most important I know it and trust it enough to get some work done.
Last edited by Mr.Cristian; Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:39am
Sharkey Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:50am 
Valve isn't forcing people on to the steam platform, so no it can and will not be a monopoly. If anything steam is the ultimate competitive pricing platform. The devs can even compete against themselves on steam by selling cheaper codes on their own website.

Some people like to say that steamworks is a vehicle for a steam monopoly future, but they completely forget that the developers chose to use steamworks, it was not forced upon them. They chose steamworks because it offers too good features to pass up.

By putting it on their games then they kind of are forcing people to use it to play what they bought
Same for any Steamworks game actually

And on the topic we should hope no company ever takes over the majority of the industry
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:52am 
Originally posted by Sharkey:

By putting it on their games then they kind of are forcing people to use it to play what they bought
Same for any Steamworks game actually

And on the topic we should hope no company ever takes over the majority of the industry

Of course the developers are free to design their own api to handle cloud saves, multiplayer, etc. Since there is no forcing of the content creator involved, there is no monopoly.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Dec 12, 2013 @ 11:53am
ScooBySnaCk of TWFAME Dec 12, 2013 @ 12:05pm 
Originally posted by Nya`:
Long Live Linux !
No DirectX, no chance.

Directx is not the end all be all. It has been a standard in game development only because Microsoft has put the boot on it. SteamOS offers a different stream for developers with Market Share to make it profitable to make stuff for OS's other than MS.
ChrisB Dec 12, 2013 @ 12:09pm 
Originally posted by ScooBySnaCk of TWFAME:
No DirectX, no chance.

Directx is not the end all be all. It has been a standard in game development only because Microsoft has put the boot on it. SteamOS offers a different stream for developers with Market Share to make it profitable to make stuff for OS's other than MS.
There is almost zero incentive to develop with OpenGL aside from mult-platform potential, not to mention it's a more difficult and outdated process with less support and tools.

The issue with that multi-platform potential being the incentive is the consumer base is too small to care about, SteamOS isn't going to change that, it will be a blip on the radar, a papercut.
KKiONI Dec 12, 2013 @ 12:36pm 
Originally posted by ScooBySnaCk of TWFAME:

There is almost zero incentive to develop with OpenGL aside from mult-platform potential, not to mention it's a more difficult and outdated process with less support and tools.
OpenGL used to be fairly common in older PC games, but it lost its edge and fell behind DirectX. Though I did hear it's changing and they are gaining steam again.

Anyhow, I don't see Steam taking over anything. Steam might boast some really good features and services, but it also has its weaknesses. One major one being their rigid policies concerning consumer rights, particularly returns and resale. Competitors seem to recognize this with sites like GOG and even Origin offering refund policies. So as long as there is healthy competition going on, I can't see Steam taking over the PC gaming market and certainly not the console market either.
blueandred Dec 16, 2013 @ 11:08pm 
Long Live Linux !

Oh, I so hope this is true! I want to get as far away from Windows as soon as possible!
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Dec 12, 2013 @ 5:05am