Does Steam Check For Files Before Downloading?
Hey, I'm currently trying to download PAYDAY 2 which is a 8.4Gb Download and because of my limited internet it will take about three months to download. Anyways, I was wondering if my friend (who also has PAYDAY 2) copies his PAYDAY 2 program files to the folder where my one is downloading will steam recognise the files are already there and skip the download or do I have to download the whole thing without copying files. Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Borat™ Gaming Very Nice High 5; Oct 31, 2014 @ 5:20am
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Charlie Oct 31, 2014 @ 5:22am 
If you copy over the PAYDAY 2 files and the .acf file for PAYDAY 2 you will be able to play on your current PC. But damn... 3 months for 8GB
Originally posted by GhostMotleyX:
If you copy over the PAYDAY 2 files and the .acf file for PAYDAY 2 you will be able to play on your current PC. But damn... 3 months for 8GB
Thanks heaps. I will remember to copy across the.acf file. Yea only get 10Gb a month and mum uses most of it on uni stuff and <removed>. We get charged 4 cents every Kb over.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Oct 31, 2014 @ 7:31am
rotopenguin Oct 31, 2014 @ 7:30am 
Steam officially supports using the "backup game files" option, which bundles everything into whatever sized batches you want to fit on CD/DVD/USB. If you just pick up and dump the regular game files to exactly the right folder, Steam will notice that and use it 95% of the time. Some games have a different install method where this doesn' t work though.
Satoru Oct 31, 2014 @ 7:43am 
You can copy oer the steamapps folder from another computer

Steam still does check all the files. Steam will download some stuff but it wont be alot

WARNING: Payday2 is doing a Halloween thing right now. AFter halloween they'll likey have another patch which will roll back the Halloween content. You might want to wait till after that happens before copying the data.
Originally posted by rotopenguin:
Steam officially supports using the "backup game files" option, which bundles everything into whatever sized batches you want to fit on CD/DVD/USB. If you just pick up and dump the regular game files to exactly the right folder, Steam will notice that and use it 95% of the time. Some games have a different install method where this doesn' t work though.

Originally posted by Satoru:
You can copy oer the steamapps folder from another computer

Steam still does check all the files. Steam will download some stuff but it wont be alot

WARNING: Payday2 is doing a Halloween thing right now. AFter halloween they'll likey have another patch which will roll back the Halloween content. You might want to wait till after that happens before copying the data.

Alright Thanks
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 31, 2014 @ 5:18am