Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 8시 05분
Another Grammatical Error.
"None of your friends have this card".

Should be,

"None of your friends has this card".

I'm not usually one to correct others but you are businesspeople, so it helps to look professional! :P
< >
122개 댓글 중 1-15개 표시
Fork_Q2 2014년 5월 8일 오후 8시 07분 
How did I not notice this before?
Gus the Crocodile 2014년 5월 8일 오후 9시 35분 
Eh, first one sounds much more natural to me. I see the "none is singular" angle, but "none of your friends" is in some sense a description of a group, which I suspect is why "have" sounds better to me.
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 9시 48분 
None and all aren't symmetrical in that way, because 'none' is singular, always, because it is a contraction of 'not one'; 'not one of your friends'. I am not sure what you do if 'all' is used in the singular, but that would be an odd usage anyway.
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 9시 51분 
I'm not sure exactly what being 'opposite' means or matters here, it may well be the opposite, but it doesn't behave in the same way. The word 'none' is a contraction like 'don't' or 'I'm'; look it up.
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 9시 59분 
It's not a big deal. It is a common mistake, but it certainly is incorrect, technically. I wouldn't point it out to anyone but a professional normally.
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 10시 15분 
What are you referring to in that phrase? The fact that 'they' can refer to a single person?

And I think you mean 'it's'. XD
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 10시 21분 
Yes, that makes sense. English has two meanings for 'they' which must be confusing! 'None' still works as I described, though, because it is a contraction of 'not one'. If your sentence doesn't make sense with 'not one' substituted for 'none', then it is wrong.
Countess Djasmin 2014년 5월 8일 오후 10시 27분 
That's good. Going by standard English rules, you're wrong, but hey; usage is usage. At least you're getting it right, even if it is for the wrong reason XD
Saint Jimmy 2014년 5월 9일 오전 4시 37분 
None can refer to the plural 'not any', In this case I believe the first to be correct.
presto668 2014년 5월 9일 오전 10시 22분 
Masque and Mirror님이 먼저 게시:
None and all aren't symmetrical in that way, because 'none' is singular, always
No, it isn't.

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g11.html

TirithRR 2014년 5월 9일 오전 10시 40분 
presto668님이 먼저 게시:
Masque and Mirror님이 먼저 게시:
None and all aren't symmetrical in that way, because 'none' is singular, always
No, it isn't.

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g11.html

So, if your meaning is 'none of them', treat the word as plural; if it is 'none of it', treat it as singular.

Seems pretty clear to me. "None of your friends have this card." is a correct usage.
GenPattonBR 2014년 5월 9일 오전 11시 33분 
"None (...) have (...) " is correct.

Azza ☠ 2014년 5월 9일 오전 11시 57분 
Arr gammer nazis!!! I failed english classes and my teacher hated me.

However, seriously...

"Has" is the singular, indicating 'one'...

A group of friends is not, but the single card is. Only "one" is singular. Therefore you have the confusion, it depends on the subject. None can be used in formal writing with either a singular or a plural verb depending on context (which in this case is the group of friends).

Therefore...

"None of your friends have this card".
or
"None of them has this card."
or
"No one has this card."

Would be actually correct. In order to use 'has', the sentence must be reworded to bring the focus on the single card, rather than the group of friends. Hope that makes sense?
Azza ☠ 님이 마지막으로 수정; 2014년 5월 9일 오후 12시 01분
Dellicious 2014년 5월 9일 오후 12시 31분 
GAMMER NERDS
Fork_Q2 2014년 5월 9일 오후 12시 31분 
CM Dell님이 먼저 게시:
GAMMER NERDS

Beta than Alpha Nerds.
< >
122개 댓글 중 1-15개 표시
페이지당 표시 개수: 1530 50

게시된 날짜: 2014년 5월 8일 오후 8시 05분
게시글: 122