ac19189 May 6 @ 11:47pm
Steams really going down hill fast... :\
You know I remember starting off on steam back during CS and what not. Only reason I stuck in it with steam was because it was showing lots of promise but anymore it just feels like its being a cash cow. I honestly feel like up and moving to another place. I was wondering what everyone elses thoughts were on this?

A few reasons for my comments above.
I noticed back when steam was worth using they had really good quality control you had to have an awesome game just to make it in had nothing to do with money or fans but atleast you had good working games. Now any monkey in a suite with enough fans and time can release an early access game and charge whatever the hell they want and steam is totally cool with it.

Now while thats cool and all what happens when you make a movie of a game as a trailer but the game itself has NOTHING that trailer shows and then you just run around taking peoples money and going ITS ALPHA you would thing steam might step in but nope. Its up to us as the people shelling out the cash to look at the video game images and read the forums to find out whats true because the game has NO demo and steam doesnt care.

So what we are left with is game companies can charge whatever they want and show us whatever they want and we need to be able to look at it and go nope thats not really whats in the game without playing it or read the forums and find other people that have been scammed out of their money.

You would think steam would step in at this point but nope. Its your fault for buying a game without playing it first... I really dont see how this is acceptable by steam but it is. I miss the good days when we had some quality control. A perfect example is starforge that games trailers vs what content it has is laughable then the staff keeps using comments such as its alpha or we moved to an office or someone quit.

Yet steam still lets them sell the game while I would be okay with this even early access at that if steam lived up to its own claims... <.< http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/ early access FAQ and i quote.

"Is this the same as pre-purchasing a game?
No. Early Access is a full purchase of a playable game. By purchasing, you gain immediate access to download and play the game in its current form and as it evolves up and through 'release'."

Well what if the game isnt playable just because you can load something and walk around doing nothing doesnt make the game playable it makes it LOADABLE but not playable yet here we sit. I just dont understand how steam could go from caring about its players to telling us to shove off we just want your money.

Maybe I am wrong feel free to comment and tell me what you guys think or feel about this.
Showing 1-15 of 1,703 comments
< >
ac19189 May 7 @ 12:00am 
Holy smokes I started scrolling back on some of the pages here on the forums and it seems people have started threads like this before and just a huge mass of locked threads all the way back... Wow.. Okay so I guess I will expect my thread to be locked shortly.. :/ Thats really disappointing.. *sigh*
BOOMY May 7 @ 12:20am 
I'm starting to feel the same way, I'm so over early access and non complete (but full price and never know it will ever be finished) games. I'm not buying anymore early access games (pretty much charging their beta I mean alpha testers), I'd rather spend my money on complete games. I'm done with paying to pre beta test, sometimes you will hear promises that are never met.

Steam isn't the shiny star in PC gaming that it used to be, a lot of unhappy customers with no resolve. My honest opinion.

I've thought about using other services for my gaming needs, but what else is there? Steam gets 90% of all the games I'm interested in. My only option is consoles, that isn't an option for me not for my main platform. Maybe that's why Valve has started to slip, they don't have much competition. Don't get me wrong I have grown to really enjoy Steam and all it services, but I do agree with you OP Steam is on an downhill slope.

Yes the more threads the better with regards to this topic, Valve needs to listen.

Last edited by BOOMY; May 7 @ 12:21am
Pheace [MCT] May 7 @ 12:26am 
woohoo, another EA thread
ac19189 May 7 @ 12:40am 
What do you mean an EA thread? I never brought up EA I dont even care for EA o.O?

Originally posted by BOOMY:
I'm starting to feel the same way, I'm so over early access and non complete (but full price and never know it will ever be finished) games. I'm not buying anymore early access games (pretty much charging their beta I mean alpha testers), I'd rather spend my money on complete games. I'm done with paying to pre beta test, sometimes you will hear promises that are never met.

Steam isn't the shiny star in PC gaming that it used to be, a lot of unhappy customers with no resolve. My honest opinion.

I've thought about using other services for my gaming needs, but what else is there? Steam gets 90% of all the games I'm interested in. My only option is consoles, that isn't an option for me not for my main platform. Maybe that's why Valve has started to slip, they don't have much competition. Don't get me wrong I have grown to really enjoy Steam and all it services, but I do agree with you OP Steam is on an downhill slope.

Yes the more threads the better with regards to this topic, Valve needs to listen.

Yeah I honestly havent found any other place thats woth the time to be honest. The few out their just suck... :/ I have started going back to consoles but even then its so limited I really rather pc but uhg its so much trouble. I really don't even care that the early access stuff is on the front page I can use search and filters to find games just fine my issue is that the games they are offering as early access are not even playable most of the time and the only reason they managed to make it to sales is because they have a fan base willing to vote blindly on links they post.

I feel like steam needs to test a game before its allowed to be sold. Most of the early access games I have spent money on honestly are not even worth it. An the trailers just lie about whats in the game. You need to heavy research a game to find out whats in it and even then thats not always enough. I almost feel like I need to go pirate a game before I buy it anymore even though it stand against everything I have ever done in the past. Sadly they arent required to release a demo so its just promises we are buying nothing more and steam is backing it.
Last edited by ac19189; May 7 @ 12:45am
Black Blade (Card Rain) May 7 @ 2:09am 
Ok first of all EA hes taking abut is Early Access... most say EAG to change it some do not

The treads are locked as there just going back over and over on the same discussions that were going to death all ready.. and its just becoming spam in the point as its not giving any thing new

And just going back on the same points abut EAG

You tread seem to be more abut QC and that so its less chance i think to be locked

Abut the post it self... If a game is not playble or is a scam not the less Valve have proven to give refunds: http://steamcommunity.com/app/290750/discussions/0/540740501406063338/

That game was these game that every one talk abut all the time that EAG that is not playable. that dose maybe not need to be here
And as you can see Valve did refund it.... and i think these apply to all games..

There is no any more Valve QC yes... but is that really a bad things? i mean can someone really decide.. these games is just bad? i mean i really think if i was on QC i will have not allow CS:GO and all that on.. i think its a really bad game
Yet there are sooo many that do enjoy it and its like the second top game on Steam...

Valve gives there users to say these game is bad these game is good.. and if the game is broken they will give a refund... so i think its a fair way to work no?
Even more QC makes the games come in slower and slower.. as someone needs to be there play game by game and try it out... what means it will take more and more time for a game to come on.. and you will have less in the end
Last edited by Black Blade (Card Rain); May 7 @ 2:15am
Discussions_Acc May 7 @ 3:42am 
Originally posted by ac19189:
they had really good quality control you had to have an awesome game just to make it in
Yeah sure. That's why Rag Doll Kung Fu was one of the very first games on Steam.
MHB May 7 @ 3:52am 
nice post , thank you
marianne~ May 7 @ 4:40am 
I don't buy Early Access games cause I want a finished game and I always wait for the game to drop in price due to budget issues. I don't feel that Steam is "scamming" as it is my choice as to what I buy. Steam is a business and thus their reputation is of extreme importance. Something every business needs to consider a priority. My two favorite game sites are Steam and GOG. I buy 99.5% of my games between the two. :)
jjb-54 May 7 @ 6:25am 
The Moral of this is:

Obviously Steam does not care.

... SO ...

Common Sense:
DO NOT BUY GAMES THAT ARE ALPHA and/or NOT FINISHED.

. o O ( Just that simple. Do not 'go there'. )

Understand I do not at all disagree w/your post. I actually 100% agree with it. But since we know Steam has proven they do not give a frack ... well .... ( See above Common Sense. )
Sajcripp May 7 @ 7:01am 
This process is called Capitalism, my friend, You had better get used to it.
marianne~ May 7 @ 7:11am 
That's right...you got it !
Is it really so hard to just ignore the early access titles? I figure people would be more worried about the constant bombardment of old games on steam than early access which are clearly labeled.
Black Blade (Card Rain) May 7 @ 9:03am 
Originally posted by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel:
Is it really so hard to just ignore the early access titles? I figure people would be more worried about the constant bombardment of old games on steam than early access which are clearly labeled.
are you kidding me? have you not notice how much all the 185 titles of Early access are taking over....
Cant be all these old games are even some what more then that right?
(i am just kidding any way)
JoNaS May 7 @ 11:14am 
What's EA mean ?
Black Blade (Card Rain) May 7 @ 11:16am 
Originally posted by JoNaSI Skilluj.com:
What's EA mean ?
Early Access... i think we better say EAG to make it separate from Electronic Arts
Showing 1-15 of 1,703 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50