Riful Apr 25 @ 12:01pm
I hated Steam once
Once upon a time, I hated Steam. It was a ♥♥♥♥ty program with crappy performance and all I saw it as was a DRM anti-piracy ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ business trick that would make playing my games more inconvenient. What's wrong with DVDs as a DRM anyways? Everyone knows that it doesn't matter what you do to thwart piracy, you'll always fail. And you'll always make things worse for people who buy games.

Times changed, with steam gaming went more and more digital with every passing year and digital games are substantially cheaper for me than physical copies since I live in Iceland; where everything is more expensive than anywhere else. I still quite hated steam as a program... bad design, it's sluggish and clunky, but whatever, it works and I can get games cheaper, not such a huge price to pay to need to be logged in to steam to play them.

So I tolerated steam.

Then Steam for Linux happened. "Interesting" is what I thought, maybe we'll get more games on Linux now, I've been feeling lately that I've outgrown windows and need more freedom to customize my computer that windows simply does not offer. (Like the various desktop environments in Linux, Enlightenment for one is impressive) but this was still nothing major, +1 for Valve and Steam for this though, it increased my opinion of them.

Then I started hearing rumors about a Linux based console by Valve called Steam Machines, "More interesting" I thought, +1 again, suddenly I was starting to forget how much I hate steam as a program because of all the good things surrounding it, but faulty Linux support and rumors wasn't enough to quite convert me.

And then it happened, the announcement. SteamOS and Steam Machines, Valve puts their name behind Linux in a way Canonical (Ubuntu) never could have and as the owners of the biggest online game market say "Linux is good for gaming! Make games for Linux! We'll even help you out!" and before I know it... Every other title I actually want to buy either has rumors about Linux support, or has already promised it. Titles like Star Citizen, Planetary Annihilation, Dota 2(not a personal interest for me, but a big title still), Kerbal Space Program, Metro, Amnesia, Starbound, Trine 2, FTL, Dungeon Defenders, Rust...

Suddenly there's enough good games on Linux for it to be a viable main operating system for a gamer (this has been said for years, but until now it has been a lie, ♥♥♥♥ wine, it sucks), moreso someone new to gaming than someone who already has 200 windows exclusive titles they're dedicated to *cough* but I'm sure (if I know Linux right) in time there will be a proper solution to play these games one needs to abandon with windows when they go to Linux. I mean we're already seeing Wine run older windows games from windows 95, 98 and XP that windows vista, 7 and 8 will reject. Give it a couple of years and it'll be running windows vista and 7 titles as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve will actually dedicate some time to this once they don't have their hands full with SteamOS and Steam Machines anymore (they already did make a temporary solution to stream games from windows to Linux)

And not only that, but as a result of all this; at least 3 of the biggest mainstream game engines out there, Unreal Engine, CryEngine and Unity are all either already compatible with Linux or working on Linux support. At this point I've forgotten everything I ever hated about Steam and Valve. I ♥♥♥♥ing love this, I don't even care how sluggish or clunky the program itself is anymore, I don't care if it's poorly written and optimized, because the pros now tower over all of these little cons.

I'm officially a Steam fanboy now. SteamOS all the ♥♥♥♥ing way! <3 I know big companies like Valve always get corrupted in time, but as long as this lasts, I'm as high as a kite.
Last edited by Riful; Apr 25 @ 1:54pm
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Asteo600 Apr 25 @ 12:01pm 
Nice to hear!
Arkanun Apr 25 @ 1:05pm 
Nice to read!*
Shasow Apr 25 @ 4:15pm 
I use to hate Steam too. And then I loved it, and now I'm disappointed with it.
Helene Bot Apr 25 @ 4:37pm 
Yeah, Valve wants to make a big bad gaming OS, but nooooooo they can't be bothered to fix the client's outdated interface.
Riful Apr 25 @ 4:59pm 
This is true. Few things are more boring than surfing through outdated code and fixing it. I'm sure this thing is about as ugly under the hood as the old internet explorer, so I really understand why they wouldn't want to touch it. I sure as hell wouldn't (to be honest I suspect it'd be best for them to rewrite this whole interface from scratch in C++ and QT. One of their bigger failures in the linux client is that they used GTK instead of QT.)

But it works. And like I said, the good is massively outweighing the bad at this point.
Last edited by Riful; Apr 25 @ 5:03pm
Furnace Apr 25 @ 6:19pm 
I wonder if linux will decline in usage even further. Developers may find updating/converting programs to be too expensive (salaries/taxes) and stop.
Last edited by Furnace; Apr 25 @ 6:31pm
Riful Apr 25 @ 7:51pm 
I don't understand that logic of yours Furnace.

Decline further? Linux usage has never actually declined per say, it was never popular to begin with, and it can only get better really.

I imagine you just don't know much about software development and I'm only an intermediate devleoper mysef so I'm not the right person to explain this to you in detail. But in short, when it comes to game development, you write the game and if the game engine supports linux and windows and mac, the game will work on all three. It is normally little more than the press of a button to support linux alongside with windows and mac if you've got a well written game engine that has linux support.

In some cases you can actually execute the same files in linux as you can on windows (for example .swf files/flash games work cross platform from the start. You can run source files like .py (python) scripts accross all platforms with little more than a double click (say if you have a text-only game for example, or an open source game for another example) but normally we don't do that with commercial games. There are such games on steam however, for example Evolution RTS is open source, and might as well be run through the source files (although I imagine for user friendliness' sake that it is compiled first)

The real problem here is converting already existing programs that rely on DirectX or WPF to linux, but this problem will automagically fade away with time as new programs are developed on OpenGL and QT/GTK which work on everything.
Last edited by Riful; Apr 25 @ 7:56pm
BOOMY Apr 25 @ 11:37pm 
Originally posted by Shasow:
I use to hate Steam too. And then I loved it, and now I'm disappointed with it.

Eh I never hated Steam really, but I did love it once and am now disappointed with it.
RageRiot@linux Apr 26 @ 5:12am 
so say we all
Two Clicks Apr 28 @ 3:14am 
Hate is a strong word. I stayed away from steam for as long as I could. Had to install for The Orange Box to play HL2. Love the fact that they made it economically viable for indies to release their games which is when I started using it more at first and then finally when most developers/published switched to using digital platforms it was a natural progression.

As long as they provide a safe/protected stable reliable service I will continue to use it.
Dune Jumper Apr 28 @ 1:56pm 
Lol I'm the exact opposite. I loved Steam ever since I first got it, but now I hate it.
marmalada180 Apr 28 @ 2:02pm 
I started using steam because I got a free steam game code with my first pc build in 2010. Never cared about it before but now its the best option for playing pc games- never have to worry about updating games manually which always was a nuisance when a game wasn't on steam, games work more often for me, everything is in one place and now there are extra incentives to replay games like achievements and trading cards.
ymo1965 Apr 28 @ 8:48pm 
Originally posted by Dune Jumper:
Lol I'm the exact opposite. I loved Steam ever since I first got it, but now I hate it.

Same here really. There was a time when I really looked forward to steam releases but with the birth of 'green lit' saw it saturated with lots of real rubbishy 8bit type games. Now, don't flame me here please, just expressing my view. I just think these monday deals are filled with school boy-pocket-money trash that is so poor, and 99% of it ive never heard of nor want to. All these disposable titles and yet games like 'Singularity' and 'Time Shift' never gets featured in any sales Ive witnessed. They just regurgitate the same old dross all the time. Do they think we're so dumb to not notice that games like Tropico featured last week and the week before that. Or maybe it's because there so many different bloody Tropico games, I keep thinking it's the same one all the time! It's as if those good 'gem' games have been totally forgotten about. I have written to steam regarding this and they just ignore you.. never get a reply! I'm on the verge of just getting them from amazon. There a damn sight cheaper on a physical disc than the extortionate prices steam come up with. I mean for heavens sake we're talking games that are 4-5 years old but they don't mind dropping 50-75% off from a game that's only been out 2-3 months. Get a grip steam, your quality assurance isnt very assuring!
Last edited by ymo1965; Apr 28 @ 9:05pm
The Rock God Apr 28 @ 11:43pm 
Let me get this straight: Steam was an anti-piracy DRM scheme that you hated, but now that they're pushing Linux development/support they're an anti-piracy DRM scheme that you love? Yeah, that makes perfect sense...
VonWeirdoSioux Apr 29 @ 2:00am 
I hated it because I was scared of it (yea don't ask) I just made one after putting it off for a while. I think it's pretty neat.
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 25 @ 12:01pm