Mic Blades Mar 31 @ 5:25pm
Should devs be allowed to review their own games?
I was looking at the reviews of payday 2 and noticed the top review is from a developer. Why is this allowed? I don't think it should be allowed. Of course they're going to say their own game is great. lol
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
< >
Black Blade Mar 31 @ 7:01pm 
I do not see that review..
And hell i think its better if they review as them self then if they review as a fake user XD

Also i do not really see why not.. i mean some give a good review to a game just as they feel sorry for the Dev... so i think a review good or bad of the Dev is fine, its not much defrent then any one elses
Last edited by Black Blade; Mar 31 @ 7:23pm
Satoru Mar 31 @ 7:20pm 
What dev? the only dev on Payday2 is Almir and he only has a revew on DOTA2

Do you mean developer or moderator? theres' a difference
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 31 @ 7:20pm
Mic Blades Mar 31 @ 8:09pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:

Dev is short for developer. I don't what you think dev means. lol
Last edited by Mic Blades; Mar 31 @ 8:10pm
Mic Blades Mar 31 @ 8:11pm 
Originally posted by Satoru:

Klystron
45 products in account
2 reviews

Recommended
602.8 hrs on record
Co-op robbery at its finest! Steal all kinds of stuff, level up and unlock awesome skills, buy and mod lots of guns, and wipe out spectacularly as the Waingro in your crew breaks cover during an assault and gets downed in the middle of the street and you all run out to res him. Great stuff! (Full disclosure: I work for Overkill, the developers of Payday 2, which makes me biased. I'd still play it. Just saying.)
Posted: August 19th, 2013 Updated: November 26th, 2013

It's called a conflict of interest. No dev is going to give an unbiased review of their own title.
Misha Arsellec Lune Mar 31 @ 8:26pm 
It was written before the recommendation system was changed into the review system and it was edited the day after that to give honest full disclosure.

Personally, I would pull anything written about stuff I had a hand in when that change was made, but his action was clearly appropriate.
Last edited by Misha Arsellec Lune; Mar 31 @ 8:30pm
vøl¢åňøquãķǯ Mar 31 @ 11:09pm 
No.
Black Blade Apr 1 @ 3:27am 
ok Well i need to ask again.. why is there any problem in it? its not like if they review its going to be the only one you see... any one can read it..
I think its fine if they do it... its not giving them any real power over the reviews i mean in the end its only one review out of many...
Mic Blades Apr 1 @ 6:26am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
ok Well i need to ask again.. why is there any problem in it? its not like if they review its going to be the only one you see... any one can read it..
I think its fine if they do it... its not giving them any real power over the reviews i mean in the end its only one review out of many...

...because they aren't easily identifiable as developers of the game to the average person. It's on the front page and many will not look beyond that. The hardcore fans of a company will know it's a dev and thumbs up the review giving the false impression that the review is a fair or unbiased representation of the game and its quality, when that may not be the case at all.
Fox Apr 1 @ 6:35am 
Originally posted by Mod God:
I was looking at the reviews of payday 2 and noticed the top review is from a developer. Why is this allowed? I don't think it should be allowed. Of course they're going to say their own game is great. lol
Wrong. Devs can loathe some games they developed, for various reasons. (superiors twisting the game into something unrecognizable, contractually obligated development, etc...)

I checked the review section and don't see any review made by a dev, especially with the contents you claim. However, since it seems to be tailored to language preferences (and possibly others), I'll discard this finding, since I found the review anyway after a bit of searching.

If a dev or worker is indeed reviewing the game they developed, I'd be against them being barred from reviewing their own game. After all, they can spot issues the average user wouldn't, and may prove a great insight.
But I'd agree about a different marking (green name, for example), just to inform the reader that they may be biased.
Dishonest ones would still hide this information, though...
Mic Blades Apr 1 @ 6:41am 
Originally posted by Fox:
Wrong. Devs can loathe some games they developed, for various reasons. (superiors twisting the game into something unrecognizable, contractually obligated development, etc...)

I checked the review section and don't see any review made by a dev, especially with the contents you claim. However, since it seems to be tailored to language preferences (and possibly others), I'll discard this finding, since I found the review anyway after a bit of searching.

If a dev or worker is indeed reviewing the game they developed, I'd be against them being barred from reviewing their own game. After all, they can spot issues the average user wouldn't, and may prove a great insight.
But I'd agree about a different marking (green name, for example), just to inform the reader that they may be biased.
Dishonest ones would still hide this information, though...

No, you're wrong and completely out of your mind. You're basically saying I don't see anything wrong with devs potentially lying to consumers and ripping them off. - lmao So no, because of the conflict of interest, devs and anyone who works for a company that makes or distributes a game should never be allowed to give a review for their own product ever.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Apr 1 @ 6:51am
Spawn of Totoro Apr 1 @ 6:51am 
Even if they did, it wouldn't matter as many users reviews would just cancel it out.

Even if the developer's account was restricted, they have friends and family as well as the ability to make alt accounts. Any of that is also balanced by the many users who can and do review the game, as well as the rating system for each review.

What is the use of a developer writing a review, if it gets pushed to the bottom? Doesn't affect anything, especially as there is not rating system for the game.

Like Fox, I don't see any issues with it, though some way to identify the account as the developer on the review would be nice.
Mic Blades Apr 1 @ 6:52am 
Yes, if they were identified as a developer I wouldn't have a problem with it. They seem to be identified that way everywhere else on steam.
Gus the Crocodile Apr 1 @ 6:58am 
As per my usual stance: inform the reader, rather than restricting the writer. If certain users are flagged in the system as developers of Game X, then make that visible on their reviews. I agree this is a case where it's especially important, but once it's visible, everyone who agrees with you can simply ignore the exceptionally few cases of this happening.
Satoru Apr 1 @ 7:42am 
For their Payday2 review he states he works for Overkill. It's not really astro-turfing if they make a full disclosure about it.
Black Blade Apr 1 @ 8:02am 
Yes, if they were identified as a developer I wouldn't have a problem with it. They seem to be identified that way everywhere else on steam.
Why you say that? its only really visible on there hub... if a game Dev post on outher game Dev hub its not going to show him as a dev...

And why its shown on the Hub... well i think that is easy to guess...
And as said before it dose not really matter... if you will have one review of someone paid to review a game as good how will that harm more then 10000 post of guys saying that review is worng? even more when these 10000 down vote that review for not been true... and so on
Showing 1-15 of 79 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 31 @ 5:25pm