Arctic Mar 5 @ 2:06pm
Welcome to the 80s
Looking at steam today and it seems to have made a massive step back to the 80s.

These new games on steam would be great 20 or even 30 years ago.

Is steam just about done do we think?
Showing 1-15 of 394 comments
< >
Black Blade Mar 5 @ 2:10pm 
what are you talking abut?

You really think any PC 20-30 years ago were able to run any of these games?
Last edited by Black Blade; Mar 5 @ 2:11pm
rthibodeau2009 Mar 5 @ 2:12pm 
I agree. There has been an amazing lack of decent new games over the last year. In the past, I looked forward to going bankrupt during Steam sales. But I bought nothing during the last two big sales.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes needs to be worked out.
Arctic Mar 5 @ 2:15pm 
No, i meen if u look at the 1st 30 games on steam, are they really anything that makes u go "wow that looks great" it seems alot of really basic looking games are coming up.

So many early acces, 8bit games and just rubbish really, im not saying what PCs could run, but more the look and content of the games.
Black Blade Mar 5 @ 2:22pm 
Well going 30-20 is way too far...

And hi look at music... did you have the same feeling there?
And in the end i think you can say that its nothing new...

How many real great games come on the first 3 mouths of 2013-2012-2011? were they really that great?

8-bit become a real style so more games like that are coming out.. also some one is buying them... so it may not be your type but seem like many do like them..

And these is just any thing else you look back at... the big things will always look biger and like you have more of them like if you think abut it as in a walk

| = Great big game
, = Little game
. = trash game

. . . | | , | .............. | O <- these is you....

Now if i look back behind me il see more the big things that come out and i can say.. wow last year we had sooo many good games... as you remember them... the bad games in the end will not leave any real mark.. so you in a way will froget them...

That is any way what i think... i do not think the game are really that bad... i think its just the part of looking in the here and now.. and trying to compare it to something that in the end is not fair

(sorry the thing on the top really messed up for me... i lose my line and were it needed to go XD)
Arctic Mar 5 @ 2:26pm 
Oh come on its not like im talking utter rubish (well i hope not anyway) ive spent my money with steam and suported them for years.
But i do feel steam is on a downward slope.
Black Blade Mar 5 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by Arctic:
Oh come on its not like im talking utter rubish (well i hope not anyway) ive spent my money with steam and suported them for years.
Well really that cant be... i mean its not that Valve make and add these games... someone else adds and makes these games

So if any thing did that amount of games makers left Steam? (EA did any one else?) or maybe its the game industry it self?

But really i do see that they let more in... and as it seem they want more or less to let who ever want to put there game on Steam and let the user deside what will be on his own store page...
(these guess it taken out of here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming look for "Right now there’s one Steam store. We think"....)
Schu Mar 5 @ 2:45pm 
I also think, that there are too few new games coming.

Tons of Indy games are thrown on the market, but where are the great games, you really want to play for a longer time?

Somehow I cant even find games anymore, which are worth being put on the wanted list. Why is that?
Arctic Mar 5 @ 2:47pm 
Id like to hear more peoples opinions on this :)
Tig Ol Bitties (Banned) Mar 5 @ 3:24pm 
Crappy indies, early access games, endless overpriced DLC and other assorted nonsense. What could possibly be going wrong?!
WhiteKnight77 Mar 5 @ 4:54pm 
Originally posted by rthibodeau2009:
I agree. There has been an amazing lack of decent new games over the last year. In the past, I looked forward to going bankrupt during Steam sales. But I bought nothing during the last two big sales.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes needs to be worked out.
Define decent games. Are you looking at multiple genres or just one particular one? While I like first person shooters, there are none that grab my attention, but that doesn't mean that they are not decent. So while I wait for the FPS I really want to play (it will be on Steam Early Access eventually), I play other genres like RTS or city building type or tycoon type games. I enjoy building theme parks as well as transit lines or sinking ships by torpedoes as well as capturing ground held by enemy forces.

There are many games to play if you branch out a bit. Some games combine genres somewhat to make a really good game.
WhiteKnight77 Mar 5 @ 4:58pm 
Originally posted by Tig Ol Bitties:
Crappy indies, early access games, endless overpriced DLC and other assorted nonsense. What could possibly be going wrong?!
If there are crappy games as well as endless overpriced DLC, there is only one person to blame and it isn't the devs or the publishers. It is the person who spends the money on such stuff which tells the publishers that there is a market for it.

What others do not realize is that pirates are telling publishers the same thing. If pirates had some smarts, they would not download games as doing so tells publishers that people do want the crappy or broken games they are not willing to spend money on.
Pewpewmoar Mar 5 @ 5:29pm 
What are the amazing games that have come out for the pc recently that you're *not* seeing on the store pages? This is traditionally a quiet time for game releases, and it's made worse by the fact that 2 major console releases happened just before christmas, which affects multiplatform releases- it's rare that PC gets games distinctly before console now, with the exception of smaller indie releases.

On the subject of indie games, it's become much more viable for smaller teams/bedroom coders to make games again, and there is both a number of viable platforms for them to get released, and a market for them. And smaller teams don't have the multimillion dollar development budgets that the large houses have available, so of course they're not going to have the same graphical wow.

But that doesn't make them worse. Some of the most fun I've had in the last year in gaming has come from the indie market, from beautiful games like Journey on the ps3, Fez, Two Brothers, Antichamber...all wonderful little games that are doing something vastly different to the safe, focus tested games brought out by the majority of the big developers.

Steam is by no means dying. They recently passed 75 million members, and at this moment there are over 4 million people logged in. That's...a lot.

The game market in general has changed dramatically over the last few years, for the better in my opinion, but I don't think Steam as a platform is going anywhere.
K'senia Mar 5 @ 6:15pm 
They definitely have seemingly turned down a different path lately. Though I think some of that could be corrected if they updated their store with some proper filters. If I could eliminate ever having to view Early Access Games and a good chunk of the indie offerings than I think it wouldn't feel so 'polluted' in the store.

As it is right now, there are often more Early Access titles being floated in the "featured" section than actually completed and released games. For me, it makes browsing for new games a much less enjoyable experience.

I too only bought a couple games in the last winter sale because the majority of the offerings were for games that aren't even finished yet.
crunchyfrog Mar 5 @ 8:01pm 
Originally posted by Arctic:

But you are.

Firstly, the nonsense you talk of "1980s style" games - they aren't. Sure there have been a resurgence of 2D platformers, point-and-click adventures, and a variety of older genres which died off at one point.

This is how gaming goes, which you'd understand if you did a bit more research - it cycles in peaks and troughs. Genres go away, and then come back again.

Note that the 3D platformer in the end of the last generation and the current generation have all but disappeared, yet there were tons on the generation preceding that (the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era).

There is only one reason they have come back - demand. Around the middle to end of the PS2 era, retro gaming really came to the fore. As a result of this, some devs delved back into genres that had been forgotten. Some are forgotten for good reason, but some just get seemingly forgotten. There's a current belief among a lot of major developer that true horror games do not sell, which is a complete falsehood, but it explains why they've dried up a lot.

This is how it goes.

Adn the reason they have taken off is because of said demand. If they didn't sell, they wouldn't be made - simple as that. Furthermore, you have to bear in mind the market. The vast majority of gamers are of an age where they remember (and probably still play, as in my case) the old games they grew up with. Only slightly less than 20% of all gamers are in the 18 and under age group, contrary to what some think - gaming very much is predominantly a mature pasttime. The average age of a gamer is around 35 and it is increasing.

With that said, to tackle your point that Steam is getting worse. Again, you're demonstrably wrong as Steam has increased it's popularity year on year since it began and since October last year has had a MASSIVE spike in new accounts - over 10 million in those few short months. So, the reverse is actually true.

I suspect that what you really mean is that YOU don't like these games, which is fine, but you should be honest and just SAY THIS. I strongly suggest you use a bit of empathy here - there are PLENTY of us who love a wide range in games, and quite frankly, I've personally found most of the innovation in recent years coming from the little indie devs who aren't afraid to experiment.
APerfectCircle Mar 5 @ 10:27pm 
Fashion always goes back in time, why not games :)
Showing 1-15 of 394 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 5 @ 2:06pm