con_artist Mar 1, 2014 @ 6:50pm
Too many Early Access games
I was on the store home page and about 75 percent of what I saw were Early Access and Open Beta games. Come on, Steam. I'd rather purchase games that have been fully finished or pre-purchase fully finished games. I have DayZ on the grounds that I had the mod so I was aware of what I was getting, but I still feel like we're handing over tons of cash for something that may NOT be finished. DayZ even states that the beta probably won't be out in 2014.

I'd like to see a lot more polished games or finished on the main page and maybe have a link to Early Access sort of like Greenlight has. It's just getting out of hand.
Showing 1-15 of 1,775 comments
< >
Talizvar Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:04pm 
Posted a similar discussion topic myself, first post I got was someone complaining of too many of these similar topics (??!!).

I am of the same opinion, I would love a filter to say I do not want to see a single game unless it is complete. Some of these early access are asking for near full release price which is madness.

I feel either commenting on a topic of this nature or posting another one either way is to give the message that flogging beta games with no clear release date is unacceptable.

If I wanted this format I would hang out more at kickstarter.
Fidget, Foghorn of Cykaland (Banned) Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:09pm 
I would suggest that EA games on the front page have a small banner on them so people can instantly say "pass" without having to check out the store page. Anything else is just a case of laziness. You already have the tools to limit games you don't want to see, it's called the search function.
con_artist Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:30pm 
Don't pull that search function crap. I check out the main page to see what's new or what's on sale. You know, the reason they have it and whatnot. It's not laziness, it's like walking into Gamestop and checking behind the desk to see what has just come out.

I do agree with you Talizvar. It is the whole kickstarter way of doing things. We're basically paying them on faith that they'll release a full and complete game, which we may never see. Keep it on Kickstarter or keep in Greenlight. Simple as that.
Fidget, Foghorn of Cykaland (Banned) Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:42pm 
Originally posted by con_artist:
Don't pull that search function crap. I check out the main page to see what's new or what's on sale. You know, the reason they have it and whatnot. It's not laziness, it's like walking into Gamestop and checking behind the desk to see what has just come out.

I do agree with you Talizvar. It is the whole kickstarter way of doing things. We're basically paying them on faith that they'll release a full and complete game, which we may never see. Keep it on Kickstarter or keep in Greenlight. Simple as that.

So? You'll still know what's new and on sale, and you'll have even more information to decide what you won't look twice at. To use your comparison, it's would be just like Gamestop just labling certain games to be more informative at a glance.

You are not entitled to a world where anything you don't want to see is automatically hidden from your site. When you walk into Gamestop you will still see newly-released and on-sale shovelware made by AAA corporations you don't want; ♥♥♥♥♥♥ games are not exclusive to Early access. Noone is forcing you to buy the games or even look twice at them on the front page, so don't act like it's so awful that you're wasting a couple of seconds to realize a game isn't suited for you.

Also, if you're so worried about EA game developers never releasing a full game, 1. you don't have to buy it, 2. rest assured ♥♥♥♥ would hit the fan so hard noone would touch that developer's products again (anyway, Valve probably has a contract with them that screws them over if they try to back out).
Last edited by Fidget, Foghorn of Cykaland; Mar 1, 2014 @ 7:43pm
Kilona Setal of Megaton Mar 1, 2014 @ 9:39pm 
I don't really like the concept of early access games. Pre-order is finky with me as well. I'd really like to know what I'm getting before I actually purchase it. I'd like a finished product with features that stick. However, early access is also a good thing because if you wanted a game and it sucked (with you) then you don't waste as much money. I don't know about it though; I suppose it just depends on the game.
con_artist Mar 1, 2014 @ 9:45pm 
Originally posted by falloutking97:
I don't really like the concept of early access games. Pre-order is finky with me as well. I'd really like to know what I'm getting before I actually purchase it. I'd like a finished product with features that stick. However, early access is also a good thing because if you wanted a game and it sucked (with you) then you don't waste as much money. I don't know about it though; I suppose it just depends on the game.

Yeah, it is hit or miss. I've heard Starbound and Rust are good, but there are a ton of other crappy ones too. I'd like to see more Greenlight games or completely made Indie games.
Jeff Kaos Mar 2, 2014 @ 8:52am 
My simple solution is to put "Early Access" in it's own section like Green Light. And if there's going to be an ad on the main store page there should be something on the ad that indicates it's early access before you click on it and see it on the games store page.
Jade Mar 2, 2014 @ 8:58am 
Come on, Steam. I'd rather purchase games that have been fully finished or pre-purchase fully finished games.
What's stopping you?

but I still feel like we're handing over tons of cash for something that may NOT be finished.
Stop giving money for things that you believe won't be finished.

I'd really like to know what I'm getting before I actually purchase it. I'd like a finished product with features that stick.
The beautiful thing is that you can wait for early access games to be finished and buy them then.
chrischronic007 Mar 2, 2014 @ 10:43pm 
Its crazy to pay for these games..

The huge number of them is also worrying . The fact that there are so many shows you that more are willing to and are making a profit from not releasing finished games..

Why would you pay for anything not finished?
Ok sir here is your car… Just know its missing a door and a roof.. We will do our best to add these to the design . U can be sure we will come to fix these at a later time..

This is making it easy for the crap to be more crap.. There needs to be a way to keep this in check so we can filter out what has promise and what does not..
It all needs to be free to try and if you see that the developers are really into there game or the game has promise then you can donate or pay.. If we keep giving money because a few screenshots or the intro to the game looks good we will get more and more crap...
con_artist Mar 3, 2014 @ 2:42am 
^Well said.
Rrrrrr Mar 3, 2014 @ 4:24pm 
Valve opened the Pandoras box, will they be able to shut it? I suspect they will be forced to because 95% ppl hate EA.
NIko_ENd Mar 3, 2014 @ 5:25pm 
Jasperline Mar 3, 2014 @ 5:32pm 
Originally posted by chris1980:
Valve opened the Pandoras box, will they be able to shut it? I suspect they will be forced to because 95% ppl hate EA.

I think your 95% is slightly off.
crunchyfrog Mar 3, 2014 @ 6:45pm 

Why? It's extermely valid.

Checking on the front page ONLY is a foolish premise. It is merely an advert for promotion, to encourage you to look further. It is NOT a firm basis for your purchasing.
Originally posted by Jasperline:
Originally posted by chris1980:

I think your 95% is slightly off.

Please don't make over-exaggerated and nonsense claim. 95% is demonstrably wrong. If it were this high a precentage, then the sales of EA games would be so small that you wouldn't be witnessing much of them on the front page.

Yeah, it is hit or miss. I've heard Starbound and Rust are good, but there are a ton of other crappy ones too. I'd like to see more Greenlight games or completely made Indie games.

Early Access has a number of faults but game quality isn't one that is even remotely unqiue to them. If early access disappeared tomorrow, crap games would still exist, precisely the same.
Last edited by crunchyfrog; Mar 3, 2014 @ 6:48pm
UptownKindaFunky:P Mar 3, 2014 @ 9:54pm 
I think that it is kind of a good thing that Steam is letting beta games in. I mean you don't have to buy the game. You can judge it to make it better and then it becomes a better game then before.If I were a game developer, I would want an opportunity to be able to show my game in a community. Now if their finished and out of beta and still suck then yea I don't like that.
Showing 1-15 of 1,775 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 1, 2014 @ 6:50pm