Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:25am
Reviewing or complaining about early access alpha not okay?
It seems like early access has taken off like a storm. It's here to stay at least it seems that way. I've noticed that anytime someone has a negative opinion or comment on an early access alpha product there's a lot of backlash. From fans and supporters of the title which ever it may be. I'm under the impression that the moment you release a title to the masses you're open for criticism. Does putting alpha on your game immediately disqualify you from being critiqued? In alpha is an unfinished product but a product nonetheless. It's an obvious first glimpse of what your game is going to be in its full release. A lot of things you can change but most will not. I think Dayz is a good example. This game will change a lot but it's core elements are going to stay the same. Its location is going to stay the same. The idea the survival aspect etc. etc. And let's say you don't like this game after playing the alpha. I think you should be allowed to express that. Without having a thread with people telling you it's an alpha. If the game Battlefield 4 had alpha slapped on it would it have been immune from all the backlash? Would it have been appropriate to ship with all of the bugs. Obviously this is a AAA and would not happen. Well it did ship unfinished it just didn't have the luxury of having alpha slapped on.

I'm just saying we should be more mature and not immediately scream at people that the game is in alpha when they criticize it. To complain about obvious glitches that will be fixed seems kind of a waste of time. Because they most likely will be fixed. But again an alpha offers you a first impression of a game. And if you don't like it you should be able to say so without everyone stifling you because it's an alpha.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:38am 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
If you have a constructive critic, you can see how the developer deals with problems.

If you just want to say "i dont like it now", its your opinion. And you should stay away from early access and alphas.

Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend. Especially when there's a mountain of already finished games out there. Is it appropriate to say you don't like a fully complete-game? I do but would've been okay for me to say I don't like Battlefield 4? I purchased it on day one and it was full of glitches bugs and crashes. Should everyone have kept their opinions to themselves? Knowing that the game was going to be fixed at some point. Or because the game was labeled as a finished product was it okay to say you dislike the game or you're angry with Dice EA?
Black Blade Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:43am 
Originally posted by Mr.Hemiroids:
Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend. Especially when there's a mountain of already finished games out there. Is it appropriate to say you don't like a fully complete-game? I do but would've been okay for me to say I don't like Battlefield 4? I purchased it on day one and it was full of glitches bugs and crashes. Should everyone have kept their opinions to themselves? Knowing that the game was going to be fixed at some point. Or because the game was labeled as a finished product was it okay to say you dislike the game or you're angry with Dice EA?
well i think that as it was mark as a full game you have full abilty to talk abut it as it needs to be

Doing a review on Early Access i think is ok while you put in head that its a EA game and not a full one as in not take down points on bugs that hi they need to be there is a EA....
But really passing reviews is somewhat worng as the game may change all the way by the time it is really out

Well basiclly what i am saying is if you talk abut the core things then i agree if you talk in the review on how much the game is buggy.. then its just wrong... as it needs to be like that...
Last edited by Black Blade; Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:52am
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:02am 
Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
I dont buy a game when i dont know how it is.
I dont buy an alpha if i have a problem with any outcome.

I look how they deal with complaints and critic. Thats part of the buying process.
Dont do something that you might regret.
(As recommendation. I can see where your opinion comes from)

I agree to an extent. But let's be honest a game like Rust is basically going to be the same at its heart early access or not. I don't prefer that game the artistic style or the direction it appears to be heading in. There's not much the developer could do to change my opinion on this title. Also in this particular title it seems to have a very immature user base. The developer also has a very small amount of control over this.

There are no full-fledged reviews of this game being that you can't review it. A lot of my most trusted critics have not reviewed this game being that it's early access. I can watch let's plays on YouTube which I did but that did not give me much information either. If early access alpha is a staying trend. Perhaps we should come together as a community and figure out how to deal with this. How to get at the heart of the game. Maybe every early access game should have a 10 min. plus video on it's Steam page. With the developer fully laying out their plans and promising that they will follow through with them. The game Towns has not received an update in a very long time. That seems unfair to the people that bought into the early access. You're buying into something knowing it's not finished. But like any investor you expect the completion in a timely manner.
thetotalwarrior Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:25am 
you must understand that your comments must be appropriate. The DayZ is a good example because there is a clear warning on the store page which outlines several issues you may have. If your critique contains any of those issues then you will surely be shot down
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:28am 
Originally posted by Skyline-R34:
you must understand that your comments must be appropriate. The DayZ is a good example because there is a clear warning on the store page which outlines several issues you may have. If your critique contains any of those issues then you will surely be shot down

Well I agree to an extent. To complain about a glitch where zombies teleporting through walls is invalidated. I don't suspect the developers are going to keep teleporting zombies in the game. And I can understand people pointing out the fact that it's an alpha and that will be fixed. But if you don't like the aesthetics of the game the artistic design things of this nature are going to stay the same. Dayz early access or not is going to be Dayz at the heart of the game. And I think people should be able to openly critique these things. And give their opinion of why they dislike the game. Without being immediately shut down.
Dreakon13 Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:35am 
Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend.
This attitude of "if I don't like it, it shouldn't exist" is why detractors of Early Access are often harshly criticized. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate.

Every single complaint about it can be resolved by simply not giving them your money (as difficult as that may be). Feel like it's ruining the gaming industry? Don't give them your money. Feel like it's a scam? Don't give them your money. Don't like buying unfinished games? Don't give them your money. It actually is that simple.
Last edited by Dreakon13; Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:45am
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:44am 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend.
This attitude of "if I don't like it, it shouldn't exist" is why detractors of Early Access are often harshly criticized. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate.

Every single complaint about it can be resolved by simply not giving them your money (as difficult as that may be). Feel like it's ruining the gaming industry? Don't give them your money. Feel like it's a scam? Don't give them your money. Don't like buying unfinished games? Don't give them your money. It actually is that simple.

I couldn't agree more. That's capitalism at its finest. I vowed to never purchase early access again. Although I have a good job and make good money sometimes I feel like the loss of $20 didn't hurt me too much so I slip up. But I think it's mainly young people that fall into this trap. That don't have the wherewithal that you or I do. So if something takes off now it will be a continuing trend. What will it be like in five years will everything be early access? That may sound silly or you'll shoot that argument down but it's very possible. Perhaps large developers like EA and Activision etc. will adopt this model and leave pre-orders.

And if it were only that easy. Flappy birds is a huge seller on mobile devices. Which may someday be the killer of blockbuster games. Maybe not but anything's possible. I don't practice in that model either purchasing mobile device games. But I'm also in my 30s and I am past that but our youth is not. I hate Facebook with all of my being. I've never joined and I think it should be eradicated. According to statistics it causes 80% of divorce. I've also had major personal experiences with Facebook as well that were all negative. But by me not joining doesn't stop it from being the number one social networking medium on the Internet.

Perhaps we should curve the early access trend now. Not because I or a few others don't like it. But because it's uncharted territory and it could go very negatively. Perhaps not but I am very much so against it. And I don't really participate in it much. Ever since Dayz I said I would not purchase early access. Out of boredom one day I purchased Rust and reminded myself why not to purchase early access.
Last edited by Mr.Hemiroids; Feb 11, 2014 @ 4:04am
Dreakon13 Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:48am 
But I think it's mainly young people that fall into this trap.
The young people will learn, and they'll be better for it. Assuming, of course, that everyone feels as negatively about Early Access games as you do.
Last edited by Dreakon13; Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:50am
Gus the Crocodile Feb 11, 2014 @ 3:58am 
Originally posted by Dreakon:
But I think it's mainly young people that fall into this trap. That don't have the wherewithal that you or I do. So if something takes off now it will be a continuing trend. What will it be like in five years will everything be early access? That may sound silly or you'll shoot that argument down but it's very possible. Perhaps large developers like EA and Activision etc. will adopt this model and leave pre-orders.
So what if they do? "EA and Activision etc" are not the games industry. They're EA and Activision etc. If there's a market for things they're not doing, someone will supply that market. Frankly, anyone who so limits their view that they're dependent on what the monolithic corporate publishers do deserves whatever befalls them.

Perhaps we should curve the early access trend now. Not because I or a few others don't like it. But because it's uncharted territory into could go very negatively. Perhaps not but I am very much so against it.
Thank goodness the world has seen so many people dealing with both literal and figurative "uncharted territory" that didn't share your reasoning. If you don't explore, the one thing you ensure absolutely is that you will never find anything good.

"It could go badly" is simply scaremongering. It's not an argument for anything but stagnation.
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 4:12am 

"It could go badly" is simply scaremongering. It's not an argument for anything but stagnation. [/quote]

I could see how you would think this. But yes I am very much against early access. So I'm going to put my opinion out there. I can see how a lot of things have gone in a poor direction. I don't see anything positive about early access. I'm a conservative that's all about fair trade fair business. And you are correct the consumer drives the market. But I am completely ignorant to this early access thing. Perhaps that's why I'm against it. But I would love for you to tell me who regulates this stuff? If the developer doesn't come through with its promise to at least finish the game. Steam doesn't you can make that argument all you want but it's not true. I don't have the finances to take a developer to court for not finishing their game. Or following through with their promise. Perhaps you're all for early access. I don' see anything positive about it. Just like Facebook has so much negativity associated with it. According to ABC News , a third of all divorce filings last year contained the word "Facebook."
That number was 20 percent just three years ago.
Many of the references have to do with spouses sending inappropriate messages to Facebook "friends."
Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/now/is-facebook-contributing-to-the-divorce-rate#ixzz2t14cIWS8. But the market loves it so does that make it right? You obviously have the freedom to not purchase it. The game Towns may never be finished. I personally don't like the game. But I'm sure there's those that do and bought into the early access. Perhaps when early access is regulated. There's consequences for the developer for not finishing etc.. Perhaps there should be a moneyback guarantee associated with early access. When all of that happens I have no problem with it. It gives the consumer more choices.
Last edited by Mr.Hemiroids; Feb 11, 2014 @ 4:37am
RayeGunn Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:13am 
You realize that the Facebook example is pretty silly, right? Facebook didn't make them cheat, it just got them caught. If anything I see Facebook's influence as a positive one in this instance, better for the victim to have their spouse cheat and get caught than to cheat for years without it ever coming to light, even if getting caught ends in a divorce. Divorce nor Facebook is the evil here, it's cheating.

Anyway, I do agree that there needs to be more regulation to ensure developers that don't fulfill their promises face approrpiate consequences, maybe refund people who supported them initially. But I don't see that as a reason to scrap the idea entirely, it's just a relatively new idea that needs some tweaking. If you don't like, it, by all means don't buy early access games, but I've bought into one so far (Starbound) and haven't been disappointed, I have enjoyed seeing the game develop, and I would consider doing it again. Two of the games on my wishlist are early access and I don't see anything wrong with it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't force your opinion onto others who don't share it by saying it should be scrapped because it might go wrong.
Last edited by RayeGunn; Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:14am
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:24am 
Originally posted by RayeGunn:
You realize that the Facebook example is pretty silly, right? Facebook didn't make them cheat, it just got them caught. If anything I see Facebook's influence as a positive one in this instance, better for the victim to have their spouse cheat and get caught than to cheat for years without it ever coming to light, even if getting caught ends in a divorce. Divorce nor Facebook is the evil here, it's cheating.

Anyway, I do agree that there needs to be more regulation to ensure developers that don't fulfill their promises face approrpiate consequences, maybe refund people who supported them initially. But I don't see that as a reason to scrap the idea entirely, it's just a relatively new idea that needs some tweaking. If you don't like, it, by all means don't buy early access games, but I've bought into one so far (Starbound) and haven't been disappointed, I have enjoyed seeing the game develop, and I would consider doing it again. Two of the games on my wishlist are early access and I don't see anything wrong with it. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't force your opinion onto others who don't share it by saying it should be scrapped because it might go wrong.

Will that's an interesting thought on Facebook. But I am not trying to force my opinion on anyone. I'm not sure how Canada does things. But here in the United States where I live opinions are openly discussed. And people advocate against things they don't like. Just like MAD mothers against drunk driving advocates against alcohol and it's sell. When others would argue that it's not the alcohol it's the person consuming it. But again they have the right to freely discuss and advocate against things they don't like.
Satoru Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:27am 
Theres a difference between constructive criticism and trolling

The former is ok

The latter is not

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/558747287858749440/

What part about this OP is not flamebaiting/trolling.

Don't complain about something when you are guilty of it as well
Last edited by Satoru; Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:30am
RayeGunn Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:31am 
I have nothing against you expressing your opinion, you don't like it, fine, I don't particularly care. But suggesting it should be discontinued, which you have done in this very thread, with statements like: "Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend." is stryaying away from 'opinion' and into a call for action. Expect it to be challenged. Free speech goes both ways.
Mr.Hemiroids Feb 11, 2014 @ 5:40am 
Originally posted by RayeGunn:
I have nothing against you expressing your opinion, you don't like it, fine, I don't particularly care. But suggesting it should be discontinued, which you have done in this very thread, with statements like: "Or perhaps early access and alpha should be a discontinued trend." is stryaying away from 'opinion' and into a call for action. Expect it to be challenged. Free speech goes both ways.

Well obviously. But so far not a single person has been able to simply agree that there should be some kind of review process. Something that explains to you what the game is and where it's going. So you can make an educated purchase. Obviously I'm being somewhat sarcastic. But really this is gotten completely off topic. I was just simply saying people should be able to have a negative opinion of a game regardless of the fact that it's an alpha.

Most every game none of that's released. Has multiple reviews IGN GameSpot etc. etc. But alpha and early access seems immune to this. Because there really is no way to review something that's constantly being updated. I don't understand why there's so much backlash against this idea. I'm just trying to help all of us out. Having a small amount of regulation somewhat of a guarantee. Does not hurt anyone the developer or the consumer. But it does make us a little safer as the consumer.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 11, 2014 @ 2:25am